passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The 2010 Gaming Expenditure Project

Craymen Edge

As I mentioned the other day, I'm going to be keeping track of how much I spend on games this year. This is probably not going to achieve much other than making me weep at the final total in December, but I think it will be interesting to actually count how much I do spend in a year, as I have no idea.

I'm going to do it as a Google Docs spreadsheet. I've thought of tracking things like:

Date

Format (e.g DS/360/PC etc.)

Condition (Used or New)

I'm considering recording if it's a game or DLC and where it was purchased from, as it's not of any immediate use but might give some intersting insight later.

As for the prices, I think rather that overall cost, I'll have sub columns for amount paid in cash, and any amount paid in credit (e.g. Trade in, reward points, vouchers etc).

For DLC/Digital download games, I might record how many points spent and the equivalent cash value.

Anybody have any comments and suggestions? And is anyone else up for it?

For the record, the total is currently £63.46.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in, I am already involved in the rllmuk expenditure thread.

I have an Excel spreadsheet, but I only have Date/Item/Format/Price. I need to do something regarding credit used and money returned from games, but haven't got around to sorting it yet. My total spend so far: £110.24 (£79.98 of which was Gamestation credit), but I've just sold Darksiders.

I might do this, though I cant see any positive to it :unsure:

I'm on about £12.61 I think, £6.50 renting Bayonetta and £6.11 on Serious Sam HD from Steam.

My next purchase is Tatsunoko, which is only about £21 quid I think, but in general terms I think I'm just going to try to buy less. I find the problem is when games come out on psn/360/wiiware/Steam because they're generally things I'm not expecting and so dont budget for.

I just worked out I'm actually £50.49 in credit so far this year, if I factor in that Darksiders/Bayonetta were paid for using credit. I have spent £30.26 on other stuff, but have sold gaming items in the last week totalling £80.75.

I might do this, though I cant see any positive to it :unsure:

:lol: same here :unsure:

i worked out i've spent ~£60 so far, which is quite bad for mostly games i've not even started playing yet, and some i may never play, although some of that is iTunes and gamestation credit i already had.

I'm not doing it to cut down on spending - I'm just interested in how much I spend on games in a year.

That's my reason too. Outside of essentials like food and shelter, I reckon that gaming is where I spend most of my disposable income, but I've never looked at how much.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so heres my January.

Bayonetta: Climax Edition - £35 - Sold for £72

Bayonetta - £36

Pure/ Lego Batman - £2.69

Lego Indiana Jones - £2.69

Punch Out - £5.40

Animal Crossing - £5.40

Mario Power Tennis - £5.40

= £110.53 :blink: but if you minus the £27 (Profit from climax) its £83.53 :blink:

*EDIT* i forgot i used store credit for the bundle games so its £77.83

Never seen this thread before, seems like a great idea to keep track, scary too...

Jan £90.35

Dead Space Extraction - £9.97

Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise - £6 (played once so far...)

Trials HD - How do I price this... 800 points isn't it? £6.40 ish I think

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - £32.99

Mass Effect 2 - £34.99