passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shadow Complex

DANGERMAN

Surprised it's me starting this thread.

First off it's pretty good. More Bionic Commando than Castlevania, with the powerups being more like Super Metroid (health, weapon boost). It looks nice apart from some glitching in the cutscenes, the sound's brilliant and in terms of budget it deserves the higher price point.

I dont especially like the dicking about with plains, especially if you're just nipping out of cover and dont have time to manually aim. It's not always clear what can be used/walked on/smashed. Things like having to leap where there are in fact stairs is idiotic. I've also felt lost most of the way through the game, kind of just stumbling on plot points and never really allowed to explore like I want to.

The single most annoying thing though is that you cant see enough of the screen half the time. You walk into a room and take damage because the game hasnt seen fit to zoom out to clue you in. you just have to shoot and hope, maybe legging it towards the enemy hoping to hit cover

It is still good (seriously), but there's a few poor design decisions

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with the bad points like the shooting into the background, and when you enter a room there's often baddies shooting at you that you can't see, and i'll add another, some stuff in the foreground looks like you can jump on it but you can't, like some of the pipes make it so you can't see the edge of the platform, nothing too frustrating so far though. anyway, still quite enjoying it and think it was a good choice for my first game of this type. i'm sure castlevania and metroid games are better but this has a stupidly easy mode where it tells you pretty much exactly where to go, which is stopping me getting annoyed and keeping it fun. the plot is rediculous. one of the puzzles with the foam/grenades was cool too. and i like kicking the robots for some reason.

I also agree with the slightly negative points mentioned, but thus far it hasn't detracted from the fun I'm having with Shadow Complex. I really love exploring each area, my torch is on pretty much all the time so that I don't miss anything. It does feel a lot like Super Metroid to me, maybe slightly clunkier and not as immersive, but that's still high praise.

With the recent Splosion Man, Trials HD, and now this, 2D is back. And I like it.

I like it very much and I am rather pleased with my purchase. I agree with the bad points mentioned as well but I don't find they take away from the game all that much. I like the way the question mark appears in an area where there is a pickup, should save some time when i am backtracking later looking for cool stuff.

I am surprised they haven't got into bother over putting Nathan Drake into a completely different game.

yeah, its all about being Joe Everyman isn't it..

I played the trial and thought it seemed alright, felt a little clunky and the physics felt a little odd, like when he jumps he just launches into the air and stuff, but that is being super pedantic.

It seems to be lacking a bit of spit and polish, and really the excuse that "its only a xbla game, what do you expect" shouldn't wash. Still not bad, but no metroid killer, although i guess it never was going to be.

Cant beleive this has had such bad feedback so far.

I think the game is absolutely awesome, looks great, and I havnt had any issues with the controls. One thing id say is that theres a certain point you reach where the game really kicks in, and I wonder if they could have perhaps brought that forward.

I really enjoy exploring the extra areas in the game, and I have to say again that im so surprised that people havent been more positive about this game, grumpy cunts.

It seems to be lacking a bit of spit and polish, and really the excuse that "its only a xbla game, what do you expect" shouldn't wash.

Now that's the single most surprising comment, from the videos it looks like the most polished XBLA game ever.

It kind of is incredibly polished, except for the bits that really should be. The jumping animation looks like Altered Beast, he goes from the walking animation to straight up in the air.

I still like the game though, even though i'm stuck, which could be due to me being an idiot I'll have to try again later

There are some parts once youve got the jet pack that make you feel like an absolute hero for finding a certain little bit. I found a fair few the other day, but then didnt have the corresponding item for the door.

Theres never been a bit that ive been stuck at so far, I just pretty much explore as many hidden vents and floor panels as possible. Like Ed I have the Flash light on at most times so dont normally miss stuff. I think ive just clicked with this game, cant wait to go back and play more of it later on.

It seems to be lacking a bit of spit and polish, and really the excuse that "its only a xbla game, what do you expect" shouldn't wash.

Now that's the single most surprising comment, from the videos it looks like the most polished XBLA game ever.

yeah i see your point, i'm more referring to the glowing feedback eurogamer gave it (some where in some other post). I would say battlefield feels like a more fully realised game than this does. Sorry i'm not really getting my point across very well.

It seemed ok, might buy at some point, but wasn't as knock out awesome as i was hoping for. I'd be interested to know how long it is.

Shooty in the background bits are a bit dodgey, some of the animations are a bit 16bit but in HD and the turret sections has the most laughable AI seen for a good 10 years.

Apart from that I think its fan-fooking-tastic, its right up my street this. I'm finding it a bit hard in parts though. :(

Just started this on Normal. I started up the trial, it got to where the first achievement popped up and said about buying the game and I thought, "Who am I trying to kid?" and duly paid up.

I'm loving it so far, agree with the negative points but they're not detracting from the game.

When the first flashback ended, with the guy and his dad, I had to remind myself that I wasn't playing Uncharted because that guy just doesn't even try to change his voice up. Still, he's doing a good job.

Theres an awful lot of stuff to go back and find if you want to, and some thing are bloody hard to get and just figuring out the best way to find stuff.

I dont think im far from the end, but there is the option for me to finish the game off or go back and find every item wheres there is a question mark, and i might do it for the acheivement.

i finished it in about 8, with 100% map and 100% items. did the proving grounds too, which were quite fun, harder than the actual game but thats not saying much :P 180g

fucking loved this though. yeah theres dodgy aiming and enemies off screen etc but its part of the retro charm i think. like hendo said, didnt detract from the experience for me thats for sure. is this really the guy who did nathan drake? cos youre right it fucking sounds like him.. think he did the voice of the prince in the last prince of persia too, is he getting typecast lol??? always playing these macho wisecracking reluctant heroes who team up with strong female characters.. maybe he can only do that one act

this gets an 8.8 on the topgunometer

did anyone else see the interview where they said most people complete this in about 12 hours? as i have finished it in 4 and a half!!

Was that the one on the dashboard? I saw that and I'd already heard that about 5 hours is about right, I don't know what they're on to suggest about 12!

I'm on 4 1/2 hours now and I've been told that I'm missing 5 things (plot-wise) so I think I'm most of the way through, but I'm taking my time exploring everywhere I can go. I'm missing items to get me through red and blue objects I think.