passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Well we did binge those episodes and to be fair it was a great ending to an outstanding show... we did the first season the year it aired but never went back for one reason or another... so glad that we did though and it worked out nice we weren't waiting for episodes. 

And we've started Breaking Bad again.

Watched the Last Airbender Netflix show over the last couple of days. The best way to describe it is that, if the original is the best way to experience the story and Shamalayan's movie the worst, then this is the compromise in the middle. It feels very detached and emotionless, some dialogue is excruciatingly bad ('exposition grandma' in the first episode really is something), but on the other hand it does a good job of visually representing the universe in live action, not unlike how One Piece managed to successfully bring its source material over to the, well, 'real' world. And while the acting is nothing to write home about, it's nice to see them putting (mostly) relatively unknown Asian actors front and center for this.

The big question surrounding this is obviously whether it was necessary or not, considering it's inferior to its inspiration and also doesn't really help broadening its audience as it's the only decent live action adaption. But if Netflix picking it up gave Nickelodeon the courage to greenlight the three upcoming animated movies then it was absolutely worth it in my book.

Ted - TV Series

I've now watched 6 from 8* and I actually quite enjoy it - it rolls the characters back to the 90s so Ted is occasionally going to High School with John, and they've got an older college age niece living in the household too - which adds a good dynamic.

So it's quite formulaic in terms of storylines, but the coarse humour is still there, and it's a good extension from the films, rather than feeling like a lame unnecessary spin-off.

So it's pretty bang average overall I'd guess, with a good few laughs per show, and worth a passing watch (if you liked the films). The Halloween episode was especially great though.

UPDATED - Now seen the last couple of episodes - and it's pretty damn good overall !!

*There's 7 episodes (in the US) but the first (longer one) was split into 2 for UK showing.

The Jury : Murder Trial (Ch4)

Watched 2 from the 4 episodes so far, and it's oddly compelling - albeit not quite in a way I expected.

They are presenting a real case (names changed) in the same manner as it originally was, to 2 independent juries - who are unaware of each others presence - to see if, when presented with the same evidence, they come to the same conclusion - and therefore whether the current system is really fit for purpose.

The question they are being asked to determine is whether the accused is guilty of murder or manslaughter - where the mitigation would be "loss of control" i.e. factors caused the person to snap/act out of character due to extenuating circumstances.

However the crux of the programme isn't really about evidence based decision making, but how the each member of the jury brings their own personal bias into their judgement (from their own life experiences) - so when they go into debate (in the jury room) it almost descends into the usual reality TV tears, tantrums and arguements - there's no Henry Fonda in sight here !

Maybe it's done for dramatic TV effect, but certain jury members have experiences that parallel elements of the case in question (anger issues, domestic abuse, family separations etc) so they quite vocal to share their opinions - irrespective of evidence presented in the case.

Where it lacks balance perhaps (and I haven't been on a jury to know) is that they don't seem to have been given a clear pre-briefing or enduring legal guidance of what they should be examining, or anyone bringing them back to discuss facts rather than opinions (maybe they aren't, or it's just on the cuttings room floor).

An aside however is: if it's proved murder (calculated, conscious, premeditated etc) then they'll be banged up for 'life', but if manslaughter (loss of control) then it might be as little as 2 yrs. Which is sort of weird from a society perspective - that we constraint people who are determined to be in control of their actions, but release much earlier those who might snap at any time (loss of control) and kill someone - which is sort of unnerving when you consider it......

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully it's better than LOTR, that was such a waste of material.
This looks ace! I never actually finished a Fallout game to know how it ever ends, lol.

(Don't forget though, 3 Body Problem is out sooner! I just read it again in anticipation, it had better not disappoint).

I totally forgot about that Rings show. Never seen anyone say anything about it. 
Started watching Justified on Disney+, had never heard of it before. Started off with Timothy Oylphant shooting a crim at breakfast, then escalated to Walton Goggins blowing up a church with a rocket launcher. Yeah, this is fun.

Fleischman is in trouble – or: let's watch Jesse Eisenberg talk about facebook again (I'm just kidding, he only does it two or three times, but I found it amusing).

Saying more about this than the very basic premise would likely be a spoiler, so I'll sum it up with 'it's a show about the ramifications of getting divorced'. But that's also mainly just what happens in the plot, there's a lot of existential commentary framing everything that at some point it almost feels like Fleischman's storyline plays second fiddle to the midlife crisis anxiety issues that are the foundation of almost every scene in this show. And while this sounds like something that's hard to digest and preachy, the fact that it does in its background have this red thread does make it an enjoyable watch in parallel to getting you think.

In any case, I found it to be extremely well executed. Some scenes are really good at putting feelings into images, and while the background commentary from the deuteragonist can be a little too much at times, it also highlights both humorous and tragic scenes rather well. There's actually very little I disliked, but I think it could have been executed better with one less episode in the middle part and the children aren't particularly well written (the daughter in particular).

On 16/03/2024 at 21:08, AndyKurosaki said:

Just watched the new episode of Invincible on Amazon Prime. Bloody hell, it’s so good. I’ve not read the comics (perhaps I should), but this show is really awesome.

I can't wait! It's been fantastic until now.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m usually strong willed when it comes to advertising and find adverts too annoying to be sold by them

Except when it comes to video game stuff and I’m as weak as possible

IMG_0623.jpeg

However it’s got me more wanting to play Fallout than watch it. Maybe give Fallout 76 another go this week

I didn't like the trailers for this, the effects weren't doing much for me, looked kinda shit. But Walton Goggins is excellent whenever he's in something (the ghoul 'mayor' in this), great as Bowd Crowder in Justified. 

In any event I'm tired of tuning in week by week for stuff so happy to just wait for the whole thing to release and more complete opinions come out as well. Got fooled once already signing up on Paramount (I think) for Nathan Fielder's new show

I'll watch it at some point... need to finish our second viewing of Breaking Bad though and by the time we've done that this'll probably have a second season.😆

On 10/04/2024 at 15:51, one-armed dwarf said:

wait for the whole thing to release and more complete opinions come out as well

It's all been released in one go, so no need to wait

I’m 11mins in to ep1 of Fallout and it’s very slow and already lost my attention so I’m here instead.

But one good thing I will say is I’ve never seen such a faithful recreation of a game’s aesthetic to another medium before. The attention to detail, the props being exact replicas of the items in the games, the references to the fiction that exists within the games (books and what not), the use of language even (The main character’s dad calls her “my little sugar bomb”) even the controls for the vault doors look exactly what I remember the controls for the vaults looking like

Even the way the main girl introduces herself by talking about her different skills is a reference to how the player allocates skill points in the game.

It seems kinda boring but they’ve nailed the look 100%. Visually I can’t recall another video game adaptation as faithful as this. Seeing video games done justice makes me happy.