passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Are my gaming days over?

Jimboxy

No i haven't lost my hands in a horrific accident with a cheese grater, its worse than that.

I seem to have lost all enthusiasm for playing games, i simply can't be bothered any more. I can't really come up with a reason why either, it just doesn't seem to hold my interest like it used to.

I've brought various games recently, spent 5 mins playing them to put them down and never return to them. I seem to only turn on the xbox to watch movies on it, can't remember the last time i sat and properly played a game on there. The PSP has been sitting in the bottom of a draw for months getting no attention, the DS is a similar situation. I've brought a few things for the PS2 and spent absolutely no time with them, and the thing is i don't even miss it.

I went through a phase like this a few years ago when i started uni, although i still played a few games with mates, my passion for gaming drifted away and with a few exceptions stayed like that for around three years. It wasn't until leaving uni and being back in the middle of no where that i really got back into my games and started catching up with all the things i'd missed out. Thats pretty much been a constant up to this year, but now something seems to have changed.

I don't know if it was something to do with breaking up(and subsequently getting back with) with my girlfriend , or moving in with other people, or just a change in things that hold my attention but, whatever the reason, games just don't seem to do it for me, not like they used to.

Anyone else ever gone through phases like this?

I went through a phase like this a few years ago when i started uni, although i still played a few games with mates, my passion for gaming drifted away and with a few exceptions stayed like that for around three years. It wasn't until leaving uni and being back in the middle of no where that i really got back into my games and started catching up with all the things i'd missed out. Thats pretty much been a constant up to this year, but now something seems to have changed.

Same, I do the same thing with music too, just look around and feel like I've heard/seen it all before. But then something interesting comes along, usually from out of nowhere and I'm interested again.

It happened last year to me too, was going to give up gaming, forums, the podcasts etc, I just couldnt be bothered with it anymore. I cant remember what turned me round, might even have been the run up to christmas.

Anyway I'm sure it'll come back, hopefully because something really special has been released

I went through this a bit in my lateish twenties but I put it down to big upheavals in my life and simply not having the time to play anything. Mine was late PS1 - early PS2 time. As Ben says tho - when something comes along that piques your interest you get right back into it.

I sometimes get a bit bored of games when I buy too many as well - I have too much choice so I end up not playing as I cant decide which one to play - I am sailing dangerously close to that mark at the moment. Hopefully April/May will be a bit quieter so I can play catch up.

The PSP has been sitting in the bottom of a draw for months getting no attention

Isnt that the same situation with everyones PSP? ;)

The PSP has been sitting in the bottom of a draw for months getting no attention

Isnt that the same situation with everyones PSP? ;)

Not mine, I love my Pee Esh Pee

Anyhow, yeah I've been feeling this a little bit recently, been writing an article for bitparade about it. Although I think I've gotten through it now.

I'm drifting into a similar feeling myself. I'm not gonna stop entirly but I'm thinking of severly limiting the games I buy to only a handful a year and if I do want to play something then just put on something I already have. I'll try to do that anyway. Hopefully my plan to move out will force this on me.

It was Killzone 2 that inspired the change, it's a perfectly good game yet I jut can't find much passion for it, GoW2 would have suffered a similar fate if it wasn't for the co-op.

Gaming forums I'm getting tired of too, might just lurk round here eventually.

Right now I'm going through a bit of a lull, which is the reason I haven't been around much here recently. I have a ton of games I want to play/complete, but I just play Rock Band for about 3 hours a day now. Give it until some more games are released, and I'll be well back into it.

yeah i go through the same thing fairly often,then something will come out that just hooks me back in again, i think it's a question of time for me though,not having as much free time due to work etc means less time for everything else, and with so many games taking a fair amount of time investment they fall by the wayside. think thats why i love peggle so much,can be 5 mins, or 5 hours of fun either way

Ive just gone through this phase for bout a week and a half, i just didnt want to go near any games, i felt like there was better things to do, then this wave of depression hit me and now im back gaming :(

when i was about 16 and all i did was get wrecked and all my money went on going out, i stopped buying games for a couple of years. sold my snes, my 64, my dreamcast and later my ps2 cos i wasnt using them and needed money. though i did buy a gamecube at one point to play eternal darkness. sold it again lol. then i got back into em, bought another gamecube and got loads of games for it, started hammering pc games too. then i got a modded ps2 with a couple of hundred games, to catch up on all id missed. then a ds, then a wii, then an original xbox off retroed, then a 360, then a ps3, then a decent pc that can play crysis on high settings ;). the apathetic feeling towards games hasnt been back since, though there has been times ive wished something new and fresh would come out but thats just natural, especially with something so contemporary. recently all the big hitters on the sexbox has if anything reinforced my love of games.

I'm suffering with my consoles at the moment, too. I can't be bothered to play anything that requires any effort, which sounds odd, but it's really annoying me. I have a ton of games that I haven't even started. I began Oblivion last night and exited the sewers and then stopped. I don't have the urge to go back to it like I would normally. I don't think it was the best game to start when I'm going through what is hopefully just a phase. I have Resident Evil 5 that I have barely started (on 2-1), and games such as Crackdown, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Banjo N&B, and Uncharted that I haven't even began! Then there's unfinished stuff like Gears 2 and Tomb Raider Underworld.

I am totally loving my DS right now, however. GTA, Hatsworth, Bomberman 2, I'm having a blast with all of them.

I do have my SFIV match with illdog later though, and after that I'll probably be on Call of Duty 4 multiplayer.

Ive never played games so much since i got my 360, i play something everyday without fail. I always put in an hour before work, sometimes a couple of hours during work ;) and if the misses dares shut her eyes in the evenings a game is straight on.

Thing is, ive still got a massive pile to get through, so i cant see this stopping. I cant actually remember the last time i went through a gaming lull. The fire still burns.

Yea im pretty much on everyday too, like illdog coz of my xbox, if i had my wii and ds only i doubt i be playing games as much.

I think coz of online, its how i talk to other people as well in one group, and plus being an achievement hunter, you just keep trying to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a lull before... but right now.....I've got a fucking problem.

Seriously.... i think i need help.

I game whenever i get a chance....

My girlfriend is obsurdly understanding of my gaming passion (addiction?) which assists this habbit too...

Girlfriend watching some crappy TV... i game..... before work... i game... in the evening... gaming... having a poo... i get the iphone or psp out and game.

No joke but in the lift at work i even game on my iphone... and its only five floors.

Every day at four (which is poo-o-clock) for me... i have what is now known as my Wolfenshit... wolfenstein on my iphone while pooing.

Its rediculous. I really wish i could have a lull and loose my urge to play games.... but i am mad for them

Other day i had a day off work and i gamed all day.

Stupid thing was... girlfriend had to get up at six. Did i go back to sleep and lie in.. nope... i got up and played games ALL day from 6am till 2 where i made a sandwich and then through till

five when she came back home and i cooked dinner and gave her one up the ring pipe.

To those with dusty PSP's.... go out and buy Resistance Retribution.

Its outstanding.

Awesome game... great graphics... good mechanics and online play is something you will keep coming back to... i got hooked. Its awesome.

Finally in answer to the thread...

Yes i have had a lull in gaming too. I also go through phases of loving competative multiplayer... to just wanting a nice story driven game.

I can easily kill a game by grilling it all weekend.

Also when i go on holiday or don't touch my games for a bit of time i loose the urge to play too..

It always comes back though... i think its just a case of a new game being released that is awesome.

Currently there aren't many new awesome titles.... and i think also there is so much badass stuff out that we are complacent and don't give individual titles the time that we used to

I am actually really looking forward to moving to Singapore because it means that i won't be able to game quite so much. :blush:

I keep getting a massive urge to play old games that ive traded in or completed, but then being dissapointed with them which slowly adds to a gaming lull. I have a massive urge to get the pokemon remix, but I know I will lose enthusiasm with it. Case in point is me buying burnout paradise after trading it in about a year ago and now after having a few days gaming on it I kind of remember why I wasnt a massive fan last time. Im hoping for a release of a wicked game sometime soon, but with the infamous summer drought on the horizon im a little worried. Hopefully the new batman game will be awesome, otherwise I might have to start doing things in the real world.

I think that with this originally being a ninty forum and so a lot of the members being ninty diehards or at least fans in some capacity, then some of the blame could well lie with Nintendo. The Wii has been great but its not lived up to what it should have done so far. Hopefully it will do something really special and get everyone back into the habit.

Well when we go to Singapore i rekon i should try and get out and see the city and surrounding countries with most of my free time.

Also the main reason is that the girlfriend won't initially have a job out there so i think it will be unfair of me if i start gaming heavily when i am not working... think she will need entertaining and stuff...

Ha ha... although maybe i can get her hooked on gaming and then she won't mind not having a job :-)

Once i am settled i will pick up ONE console (which at the moment i honestly think will be a PS3 due to its diversity)... but i plan on trying to hold off for as long as possible in an attempt to crack my habbit a bit.

Yeah i guess i could... or just get one out there....

Was thinking of just taking the HD or something.

Bahhhhhhh.... Anyway my point was.... if you like i can trade you my gaming addiction problem with your gaming drought.... or like we could go 50/50 or something and both just play a normal level of games.

the interesting test for me is my xbox LIVE gold ran out yesterday. Can i be bothered to renew it? I don't know, haven't really played much online for ages now that the living room is shared with other people and i don't want to put it in my room. I'm going to leave it at silver until i get a good reason to splash out on some gold.