passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XIII

stoobie

"Erthazus said:

February 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm

OW MAI GAWD! MY FINAL FANTASY SCORED 70% NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111 EVERYBODY FREAK OUT!!!! PEACHES! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DOOOOOOOOOOOO?

FAMITSU HAVE 3.9 SCORE ON MY FRAINAL FRANTASY SAATIN!!!!!!111111111 FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECK!!!1111

Seriously, why you need to care? Just enjoy the damn game."

That's my favourite post ever.

<embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="620" height="375" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3d71ea9b28f3c2db0a048a62a02723d09accafe3f4ff222bb8b0&width=620&height=375&pid=dest002&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&esnapshot=4bffc0037b3a3a493b90685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f094ccde2702233248cc5acabb2a1c298eade4b9a1869fa1f32b8d76936b6c068b683c70a008a7ca63b3d95da84&trueurl=http://www.destructoid.com/"></embed>

Check out Leona Lewis playing FFXIII and reciting a press release.

I think I'm just not a fan of JRPGs full stop. I

loathe the random battles & overly complicated

menus a far cry from the accessibility of Fallout

& Oblivion. I've yet to see a Japanese RPG reach

their level of reach.

Apparently theres 25 hours of cutscenes in FFXIII - in fact

some of them are so long you can even pause the

game & save them! Thus making FFXIII more film

than game. And you though MGS4 was pushing it! :lol:

in all fairness these are staples of Final Fantasy games and JRPG's in general. In recent years they have moved away from the random battles into something more dynamic.

The problem is most Final Fantasy fans are morons. When they do something that is genuinely innovative with the series (like Final Fantasy 12) the fans kick up a stink and moan about it. On the flip side, it also fails to get new people interested as people assume its Final Fantasy and won't like it. Damned if they do damned if they don't.

I'm still holding out hope for this, and i'll be getting it on day one.

Cheesyness of the worst sort

Lack of Freedom

Random Battles

Overcomplicated menus

Battles havent been random for a while in JRPGS, the monsters are visible on the world map. The lack of freedom is no worse than the WRPGS that you mention - they limit your freedom by having high level opponents meaning you have to keep to the easier route. As with most RPGS the game world opens up as you progress. The menus in FF games are no more complicated than in say Fallout 3 or Dragon Age.

As for the cheesyness - fair enough but surely that is a nice opposite to the po-faced seriousness of Western RPGS?

We wont agree as we never do, and I am quite happy playing both J+WRPGS - but as ever you seem to be making your opinions on what someone else is saying.

Lack of Freedom

Random Battles

Overcomplicated menus

Battles havent been random for a while in JRPGS, the monsters are visible on the world map. The lack of freedom is no worse than the WRPGS that you mention - they limit your freedom by having high level opponents meaning you have to keep to the easier route. As with most RPGS the game world opens up as you progress. The menus in FF games are no more complicated than in say Fallout 3 or Dragon Age.

As for the cheesyness - fair enough but surely that is a nice opposite to the po-faced seriousness of Western RPGS?

We wont agree as we never do, and I am quite happy playing both J+WRPGS - but as ever you seem to be making your opinions on what someone else is saying.

You're quite wrong stu I'm just expressing a preference, and

I'm entitled to do that & I'm certainly not going to keep quiet just because I don't like a game & someone else does.

Is that why the forum is so quiet these days, because the way people get antagonised for simply having an opinion that doesn't quite toe the line with someone else?

I couldn't care less whether we agree on anything or not, this is just a discussion forum, not an agreement competition.

Is that why the forum is so quiet these days, because the way people get antagonised for simply having an opinion that doesn't quite toe the line with someone else?

I dont think that happened but what I will say is that I think this place is quiet sometimes because we dont argue enough. I wouldnt want it like neogaf or eurogamer et al, but we dont often have discussions, which is a shame imo

You're quite wrong stu I'm just expressing a preference, and

I'm entitled to do that & I'm certainly not going to keep quiet just because I don't like a game & someone else does.

Yeah but there's a world of difference between expressing your own indifference to a game or series, and trying to encourage people who are interested to change their minds.

I didn't like Fallout 3 but I'm not going round trying to tell people who did that they're enjoyment of it was a waste of time.

Careful man. I heard he drinks like, all the time!

:lol:

I'm really looking forward to this. As usual I will ignore all the bad reviews of a game I am looking forward to and pretend it will be awesome, then I will get it on day one, go nuts for it, get bored and leave it the pile of other JRPGs, my opinion of it will get lower every time I mention it, then in a couple of years I will go back to it and realize that it's actually brilliant just like I did with FFXII. I have never actually completed a FF first time through, even VII which is like the greatest thing ever.

As for all the stuff that makes JRPGs shit. I would have to agree with most of that to be honest, JRPGs are really cheesy and the gameplay mechanics tend to be the same as they were 20 years ago but I still love them. It makes a nice change to go into a lovely bright, colourful world and save a generic princess every now and then. Then of course you get the odd surprise like Persona which just does it's own thing with it's awesome hair and trendiness. Like all the other genres, most of it is generic crap but then you get the odd gem, sometimes they are original, sometimes they do the same old thing but they do it really really well.

I can also aggressively argue with anyone over anything if people think it will make the forum busier, just let me know.

Wow, great news, really glad I read about this. Might just go an post some 'news' in other forums. Might as well lock this thread as almost no news is released about the game and the discussions are just about reviews and if the JRPG genre is old or not, nothing to do with the game itself. (I realise that im not actually stopping this situation but just adding to it)

Lack of Freedom

Random Battles

Overcomplicated menus

Happy?

I love the way Dunkster's posts look like hippie poetry.

On FFXII: I just don't get on with Final Fantasy games, they all bore me (despite me liking some other JRPGs). I've quit FFVII twice because of that looong boring train ride about an hour in.

This one sounds like it's a lot more streamlined, I might pick it up eventually and give it a try for this reason.

im not a big jrpg fan either, mainly because of the grinding and the combat. i dont think the japs often do rpg characters/stories to my taste either. i do play the occasional one though, and was looking to buy this. but i was assuming it was going to get 9s and 10s.. a jrpg thats scoring badly is probably not for me.