passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I don't think it's hypothetical, I know it's anecdotal but I personally know folks who have current gen systems just to play CoD Warzone and FIFA. One has a Series X and another has a PS5. They exist, and exist in their droves.

It's a huge loss in revenue to PS because of the amount Warzone players spend on PSN through Microtransactions, it's one of their biggest digital earners along with Fortnite.

For a start I guess I was referring to the yearly CoD games rather than Warzone because I don't think that is going anywhere no matter how things go.  I don't think MS are ready for that controversy if they pulled it from a platform where people have invested a lot, even if it could be carried over to another platform.  It'd be a shit show no matter what anyone thinks of it.  

Now a Warzone 2 is another matter if they want build something from the ground up with the newer engine at some point.  After some initial moaning I just mostly see a Warzone player on a PS just eventually shrugging and downloading Apex Legends, or maybe at this point DICE finally get their shit back together and make a good Battlefield, or maybe there's something else entirely.

I just see people who play CoD do so out of habit rather than any true attachment, especially on consoles.  They're a base that could be swept up with something else and Sony could still maintain that MTX income.

• 2 weeks later...

It's how these things work, back when the deal was first announced news outlets said Summer 2023 for a rough completion date, that's looking likely, maybe a bit later, if it goes through.

The EU regulator hasn't even started its investigations yet and will be the toughest to get through even if it does clear the FTC and CMA.

I think I read somewhere today that Brazil have approved it today, will try to link an article later.

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

think I read somewhere today that Brazil have approved it today, will try to link an article later.

Yeah they have... and it includes a very pointed statement.

It's a statement cherry picked by a known Xbox fanboy but yeah, they seem to have a different take on it than the CMA but then I would imagine Western countries would be more rigorous in general in their approval processes for such deals than countries like Brazil etc. But who knows. 

I expect we'll see more countries approve the deal as the weeks go on, then the CMA decision in early March, by which time I would've though the EU will be working their way through the approval process.

Here's part of their response to that...

"The suggestion that the incumbent market leader, with clear and enduring market power, could be foreclosed by the third largest provider as a result of losing access to one title is not credible," Microsoft told GamesIndustry.biz.

"While Sony may not welcome increased competition, it has the ability to adapt and compete. Gamers will ultimately benefit from this increased competition and choice.

"Should any consumers decide to switch from a gaming platform that does not give them a choice as to how to pay for new games (PlayStation) to one that does (Xbox), then that is the sort of consumer switching behavior that the CMA should consider welfare enhancing and indeed encourage. It is not something that the CMA should be trying to prevent."

Sensible response if you ask me.

It's only for the insider program at the moment... it would be cool if that power use changed in real time when you had a game running, well cool for about 5 minutes like having a smart meter display.

From my understanding it's still the same settings as what the PS5 has... just explained really poorly. I guess the only way to really stop these things sucking power is by shutting them off on your wall socket.

11 hours ago, spatular said:

Its still stupid that you cant turn the thing off properly, or at least not easily, and its badly explained. But yeah showing the wattage is cool

Xbox360 was perfect in that way. If you had a download running and you turned it off, it went into standby until the download completed and then shut off properly. If not, it just shut off instantly.

Like you said, with Xbox One / Series there's only roundabout ways to get there. For example, I have it set to standby/sleep on default in case I ever have a download running, but if I haven't (which is most of the time), I go into settings -> turn off etc. which is a multitude of "clicks" that feel rather unnecessary.

yeah i need to get used to going into the settings so i can turn it off properly, which is annoying.

what would be useful is some sort of light/led showing when it's on/standboy/whatever.

it's not the same as the ps5, the ps4/5 have a light and don't have problems with being turned off at the plug, although they've also made turning that off more difficult than on the ps4, although only slightly, anyway my xbox is in energy savings mode but you can't turn it off at the plug because sometimes it's on doing stuff, and i've had the series x and one x both go a bit screwy because i turned them off at the plug - this is possibly only because i had a usb HHD, or possibly i was doing something wrong - i think that just shows how unclear it is. if you don't want to turn it off at the plug you probably won't have any problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Spencer has been doing some talking again...

"We're not taking Call of Duty from PlayStation... That's not our intent," Spencer said. "Our intent is not to do that and as long as there's a PlayStation out there to ship to, our intent is that we'll continue to ship Call of Duty on PlayStation - similar to what we've done with Minecraft since we owned that.

"We've expanded the places where people can play Minecraft, we haven't reduced the places. And it's been good, it's been good for the Minecraft community - in my opinion - and we want to do the same when we think where Call of Duty can go over the years."

Promises Promises....

Definitely seems like a change of tack there compared to other statements.

• 2 weeks later...