passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

I agree completely Xbox need more new IP than Sony. Definitely. It’s why I have a PS5, their 1st party stuff is generally amazing. 

& I’m not complaining about it, just chatting shit, predicting and it’s what Im guessing will start happening. & I’ve heard it mentioned a few times on podcasts and read in places like this - https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/future-ps5-games-could-get-even-more-expensive-heres-why

As well as pushing up prices for consumers, there’s another unwelcome side effect here: a lack of originality, as publishers play it safe to ensure that their investment isn’t wasted. “If we can’t stop the cost curve from going up, all we can do is try to de-risk it,” explained Layden. “That puts you in a place where you’re incentivized toward sequels.”

Totally forgot about that 25 titles thing which I have read before. Hopefully it bears out. 

Not that he would have made this decision alone but being leader of course he would have final say on it. Keeping CoD on Sony negates the only negative effect I think this particular acquisition would have had. 

I'm telling you. Phil is a real, genuine dude.

Or he is secretly the worst, most devious, most unbelievable cunning cunt around 

Gotta respect it 

17 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I'm still leaning towards Warzone being available on PlayStation but the main games being exclusive at some point.  But maybe if the goal is to get Game Pass on PS then I guess it's for the best to keep them sweet.

This is exactly my thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Maf said:

If Sony starts their own subscription service I don’t see them letting GP on PlayStation ever. 

Yea it seems crazy but look what’s happened in gaming over the last few years. It’s all crazy! In the future I could see it. Sony take a cut of Game Pass & games previously exclusive to Xbox (including future CoD releases) are suddenly available on PlayStation - as well as all Sonys own stuff = the console to buy. & then you’re in Sonys ecosystem where they’re taking a cut of game sales, PS+ subs etc. as well as a cut of Game Pass. & MS are happy because you’re subscribed to game pass which is all they really want. It’s win, win, win really. 

I suppose never say never, but the amount of money it costs to start a subscription service, just to let a rival on your platform and just take a small cut of it when you can have the whole of the one you own? Playstation would have to get battered by Xbox to make that kind of concession, I think. 

I know what you mean, but if it meant games like CoD (when it goes exclusive in 2 or so years), Forza, Gears etc. come to PlayStation that’s a huge potential audience for your console. Which means more potential customers for your own Subscription service & like I say, having players in your ecosystem is what matters. Would almost remove Xbox as a competitor entirely. I say almost as MS, I imagine, will sell a box still and they can claim to be more powerful, have a cheaper sub and maybe offer the option to download games whereas PS get mostly cloud versions or something. 

It’ll mean some pride swallowing on Sonys part, but I can definitely see it happening, especially now they’ve got a juggernaut like CoD. I’d welcome it, it’s kind of leading to that one console style future. But exclusives decide the service you subscribe to not necessarily the console. 

But also these are closed platforms and that's where their strength comes from. If PS starts it's own subscription it would be really weird for them to then let Gamepass on it, too. The whole pitch of a console is this is the best one. It has the best games, tech, functionality, etc. And soon part of that sales pitch will be this console has the best subscription service.

It's weird then to let Gamepass on PlayStation to undermine that message. It would be like admitting defeat. Which I don't think Sony would do unless they get hammered by Xbox. 

If Xbox got Gamepass on PlayStation I can only see that like Amazon Prime Video starting a new channel called Netflix. I find this outcome hard to see. 

I mean also there was that leak during the Apple/Fortnite court case that showed PS only let Fortnite crossplay on their platform if they get a huge cut, even in to other platform's revenue. To be so resistant to working with other platforms unless they make more money. To then let a rival's subscription service directly eat their own subscription service (Which they will have to invest 100's of millions in too). Again, I find that hard to see happening. 

The thing about CoD is it's kind of like Minecraft. It's such a huge game that spans so many players on so many platforms, if Xbox made it exclusive they probably know even the maximum amount of players that would come to Xbox would be massively lower than what it currently is. I'm sure they run these numbers and know that making this game exclusive isn't worth it. 

Battlefield would probably capitalise on the absence of CoD on other platforms and just move in to being the #1 shooter. Which would lose the point of Xbox acquiring CoD in the first place. Basically I think CoD is so big making it exclusive wouldn't translate in to making Xbox as big as CoD currently is. So why lose out by doing so.  

Which is probably different for say Starfield which is a new series and they're essentially creating the audience from scratch.

I see it more as a TV company having Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple TV etc. on their OS. I know the business model between that and gaming is very different but I can see it getting a lot closer as subs and cloud (shudder) gaming take off. Yea Sony are well ahead of Ms in gaming, even after the Activision buyout, but they have a chance to become the only console worth buying if they allow gamepass on there. & im talking in about 10 years stuff like that will start happening. I understand where you’re coming from though and there’s a chance it may never happen. But I’d bet a fiver that it will. 

27 minutes ago, Maf said:

What I'm saying. Content, content, content. These studios and titles are going to get brand new shots to prove them selves. It won't just be CoD all day. 

Exactly why I’m excited by this. In much better hands than “exploit for yearly instalments” & “fuck the staff” Bobby. 

Come on MS, get Raven working on a Singularity 2. 

I'd somehow forgotten about Blur, PlayGround doing a Blur 2 would be incredible.

I hope Vicarious Visions or Toys for Bob can work on Crash/Spyro again too and that CoD can get back to its best as the last two entries have been underwhelming. 

There will definitely be positives in this takeover for sure. 

In regards to Phil's tweet above, I imagine they will only be exclusive as long as they're contractually obliged (as marketing deals etc. likely would've been inked by PS to Activision before this generation began) and for those marketing deals to come to fruition CoD would have to be on PS systems for the forseeable future. 2025, 2026 and beyond is when I expect they'll go exclusive but who knows.

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

I see it more as a TV company having Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple TV etc. on their OS. I know the business model between that and gaming is very different but I can see it getting a lot closer as subs and cloud (shudder) gaming take off. Yea Sony are well ahead of Ms in gaming, even after the Activision buyout, but they have a chance to become the only console worth buying if they allow gamepass on there. & im talking in about 10 years stuff like that will start happening. I understand where you’re coming from though and there’s a chance it may never happen. But I’d bet a fiver that it will. 

There's only 2 ways I ever see it happening. Is if Microsoft stops being Xbox and becomes Gamepass only. That way then they'd just be another 3rd party publisher on PlayStation, but they come with this App. Even then I see it being tricky. Because you have to start thinking about how many sales PS Store would lose for people playing the same game through Gamepass and ahhh gets very theoretical and complicated and I can't handle that. Seems difficult. 

The other way is they completely bail out on the subscription game because they don't have Microsoft money to make it work and they say fuck it, get on PlayStation, then. Even then I see that as admitting defeat which I don't think they would do. And it still comes with complications of does it eat PS Store sales. 

Or option 3 Xbox buys PlayStation and says put it on the fucking platform lol 

Nah, Maf, you're talking like honour has anything to do with this.  While there will be an element of ego but if it ends up making themselves more 💲💲💲 they'll do it because that's winning.  But once they put it on and realise they aren't better off it would be difficult to remove if users get accustomed to it.

I think I do see Nintendo having GP first because they have less to lose since they don't directly compete as much, though probably mostly streaming, but I guess we'll have to see if the "Switch 2” is made with that in mind more.