passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

17 minutes ago, Nag said:

I know you're a massive technophobe @OCH... some quick advice, the cellophane comes off before use, it increases the picture quality no end.?

?Not a technophobe, I just skip over bits I'm not interested in. I'm far more interested in robotics than fancy screens and pads. 

The cellophane remained only while I moved it around.:fist:

Well I finished setting it up. It was easier than getting the thing out of the box, at least. My old Bravia had sturdy edges to grasp while moving it around. This does not, which did concern me. The window sill will have to do for now. Unfortunately that too is only temporary. As the power cord is taut, just reaching the nearest extension plug.

26 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I was mainly looking at the Berserk books

to offer some advice, I got a free standing tv stand thing for mine. It's not quite as tall as I'd like, but it does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0ILTFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A man of taste, I see. All 40 current volumes. Plus the glossary they did after Vol. 39 and the Novel. Those are the two books tucked on top.

Meanwhile, that stand seems ideal. As I will need something lower. Certainly something to keep an eye out for, Ta!

• 5 months later...

Make a card cut out of the size, while it wont be the same as an actual screen it will give you some idea.

Also you soon get used to bigger size, that being said I definately wouldnt want to go above 65" and I have a moderate size room. seating about 8 - 9 ft from screen.

17 hours ago, Nag said:

Pretty much what I had in mind... it's difficult finding the cardboard that size though.?

order a paper clip from Amazon, they'll put it in a big enough box

I know what you mean about tvs though. I've toyed with getting a properly good, fancy, OLED or something. When it comes down to it though I always bottle spending that amount of money

QLED is shit compared to OLED, a cheap imitation from Samsung. It's a marketing name from Samsung, not their version of OLED.

It's an LCD TV with a fancy name. By all means drop over £2K on that, I would recommend saving yourself £800, spending £1.4k instead and buying an LG CX OLED. 

I'd be a little worried about burn in too with OLED but not enough to talk myself out of one if that makes sense, the benefits way out way the potential risks for me. I'd only be getting a 55" (we have a 50" at the moment) if I got one and would get the 55 CX OLED as it consistently gets the best reviews around.  The 65" CX is only £1798, if I was in the market for one that big I'd go for that without much reservation (unless there was one almost as good for a cheaper price). 

Talking in general of OLEDs I saw some at the end of last year for £900 (Philips) and £1100 (Sony) but yeah, I don't know if they're any good and don't think they're as good as the class leader. I don't think I can really afford one before the finance is paid off on our current one this time next year anyway but a man can dream.

I was worried about burn in with OLED too. Especially with how much I played Rocket League. Was worried about the channel logos in the corner too. Luckily not had an issues at all so far over a couple of years. They have supposedly gotten a lot better with the pixel refresher tech and whatnot which prevents it happening. 

The QLED is a beaut of a tv though. Like you say not much in it. Almost got one myself when I was looking. During my search I found the colours to be marginally brighter on the QLED but the black level on the OLED is just incredible. I can’t go back now, surprising how much of a difference it makes. Plus in reviews although they were close to the LG OLED, they always just lost out.

For what it's worth, I bought the LGCX at the start of the year and burn in was a worry for me as well, but the consensus is that it's only if you do the same thing for a ridiculous amount of time (think pub tv only showing sky sports).

As mfnick says, they have various systems in place like pixel refresher and the general rule is to leave the TV on standby instead of turning it off at the wall which apparently sets it into some sort of pixel optimisation cycle.

The only minor complaint I have is that 4oD isn't on the LG ecosysytem. Other than that my only regret is going 55inch and not 65inch.

Whatever you go for i doubt you'll be disappointed for the money. 

This is pretty bonkers, £1497 for this GX LG OLED, the craziest part is it comes with a £800 Soundbar for free 

Got plenty of good deals on at Curry's at the moment, may bite the bullet soon (finance of course) on the LG CX, was looking at the Sony Bravia OLED for similar money but seems it isn't quite as good for gaming.

Also, noticed last night that all OLEDs seem to be really bad with energy efficiency.

18 minutes ago, Nag said:

Pretty certain unless your wall mounting that tv you'll have to buy the mount/ feet separately.?

Yeah, think you're right. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but a pain as I don't like to mount my TVs (lol).

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Yeah, think you're right. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but a pain as I don't like to mount my TVs

At 21kgs it's a bit of a lump to put on a single point load bracket too (as shown on the website) hope you've got a solid wall rather than cavity/plasterboard !

19 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

At 21kgs it's a bit of a lump to put on a single point load bracket too (as shown on the website) hope you've got a solid wall rather than cavity/plasterboard !

I have no idea to be honest ? but I wouldn't mount it anyway and get the stand if I buy it, not sure that deal will be around for long though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got an LG CX, for some reason. I went with the small one (48) cause I've very limited space and 55 is in that range of being slightly uncomfortable considering the viewing distance. What's weird is that 55 is actually cheaper, so there must be some reason for that I've not understood yet. By the time I actually have the living space for a massive TV I'll be in the market for a new one anyway.

20210520_185334.jpg

HDR tho is genuinely something I find a hard time really appreciating, so I dunno. I have set it all up correct, I think. Started REVII and it is noticeably 'blacker' and the lights are more luminous. But I dunno. REVIII was the first one I tried and it does have better contrast I guess. But I'm looking at my SDR monitor now and I'm not disgusted by it or anything.

For me this purchase is largely about setting myself up with a different gaming environment than anything else and getting away from the workspace when I want to game as that is going to burn me out with WFH. As well as actually giving myself a bit better of a console experience. Maybe HDR will be like VRR and it will be one of those things that eventually hits me, or maybe it will benefit from ray tracing. But I remain a bit bemused by the hype this tech gets and I'm fairly sure that this time I did get a good HDR TV, regardless of its smaller stature. 

For some reason tho 30fps gaming looks like shit on this, tried FFVII Remake on PS4 and it renders each frame too fast and you don't get the motion blending that a laggy LCD will give you. That could be annoying for consoles. So will spend more time figuring out this stuff.