passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Zelda: Wind Waker

Sambob

Some people have said this is their favourite Zelda of all time, and although I have to say that this surprised me a little bit, I feel that the sense of atmosphere that the game built up was awesome. Sneaking past the guards was great and also I thought that the portrayal of Gannon in this game was possibly my favourite. Even though the world was mainy water and involved a ton of sailing, it gave a good impression of an actual world that you were andventuring in, whereas some Zelda title felt like it was taking place in a big expanse of land, like a really big city, with little boroughs dotted in it.

This might just be my favourite Zelda actually. It jsut feels more accessible that some of the others. The stealth at the start is awfull, and some of the puzzles are still too obtuse, but there is just something about it.

I quite liked the sailing bits too, teasing sharks, then lauching a cannonball at them was great fun.

It's one of the games on the cube i'd love to go back to and recomplete at some point, but it's never going to happen

Wind Waker is a brilliant Zelda game, i just think it could of been longer...

I dont see why people griped about the cel shaded graphics, i loved them. It seemed to hark back to A Link to the Past - which is possibly the greatest Zelda game ever created

I also super heart this game. I also super hearted the cel shading.

I loved the central island, it was a one of my favorite gaming moments when i first arrived and wondered around, talking to the townfolk and chasing the children (whats new eh?).

Also, cant remeber the bit exactly but when it all goes black and white and your wondering around being all Linky, well that was just awsome too.

And i didnt mind the sailing either. Heart.

It's in my top 10 Cube games, top 5, favourite Zelda and hell, maybe even the best Cube game I played.

When I was playing this I was a stranger to interweb forums (we didn't even have a phone line in my house) so I had to read in GTM about hardcore Zelda fans being appalled by the cel shading and ting.

I had to wonder why?

It was my first real dip into the world of Zelda and I loved every second.

Some people moaned about the sailing, I loved it.

Some people moaned about the dungeon that vanished, I never noticed it (probably due to being a Zelda noob).

Near enough every day my housemate would drag me out of my bed so he could watch his "own interactive cartoon". He loved it, being able to tell me where to go and help out while he watched.

I finished this one through and even started it a second time to try and get all of the statues, but other games came along and I put it back down.

Like Ben, I long to do it all again, but I know it may never happen.

Mega heart.

I finished the game twice through one the same save file cos i heard you got to pick the colour of Links costume the third time round - Like the links from four swords - unfortunatly its not true.

The second time you play through in the clothes the starts the game in, but thats it.

I do remember getting loads of the statues the second time through, and ive always meant to go back and get em all, cos lets face it they were cool!

• 2 years later...

Falcooo!!!! Bump!!!...

... Yeah, so I've read something over at Dtoid about Wind Waker and it was brought up on their podcast about it being the (probably) best Zelda but it's never been one of my favourites, and it isn't because of the graphical style that was suggested the hate came from, I like the graphics. It was more that it felt Zelda-lite and a little uninvolving at the time but I've decided I'm going to re-visit it to see if I was giving it a fair chance. I've just got to Dragon Island or something and it is as sweet as I remember, I really did let out a genuine 'awwwww' when he waved goodbye to his granny. As mentioned that stealth bit was shit but I'm where it really begins and I'm ready.

I must be halfway through the story now and have most of the sea chart filled in, I've got my Master Sword and I'm on my way to save my Sis. Playing this made me realise how different each Zelda game is, more than the are given credit for. The whole use the item you get in the dungeon thing is still there but the other bits arn't. OoT was any Zelda put into 3D, Majora's Mask brought in the time management and Wind Waker takes place on the high seas which on its own brings a different experiance. I'm getting the sailing this time, maybe its an age thing and sitting back with and looking out for dry land and treasure is bliss sometimes, almost like Animal Crossing but with a bit of swordplay. And some of the characters are a bit more barmy than I remember, the guy that has that mini-game and always holds some card with picture on it and a hole cut out for his face being one.

Playing it now has upped it in my opinnion but I dunno about it being my favourite Zelda but it's up there, I could split hairs about which does what better but fuck it.

This is the best blatently unfinished game ever. So good up until that fetch quest.

There is something that is in pretty much every Zelda game that would make that more bareable, and it's a fishing rod. Why no fishing rod with so much fucking water?

I'm going to combine that part of the game with general treasure hunting, shouldn't be as bad then.

I really liked this Zelda, but not sure whether I would put it as the best or not. The reason being that I kind of dont put it along side the rest of the series, its like an aside because it was such a departure.

The amount of traveling was quite annoying, but also its something that I sit and think about having in a game 'imagine a game were you actually had to walk rather than run, where you actually had to travel and you had that feeling or journeying in a game' the only problem I felt it suffered from was that there was not much to do whilst traveling, or sometimes youd just travel for the sake of it.

I loved the gameplay and everything else, the graphical style was lovely, and obviously helps to make it a stand out title.

• 4 years later...

I couldn't find a Wind Waker HD thread on here, should we start one or is it just me who owns it?

This game now looks even better, I have found it utterly engrossing so far. From what I remember I am about half way though the main quest but I am also travelling all over completing little side quests. I feel like I'm on a proper adventure!

Until now OOT was always my ultimate Zelda experience but now I am not so sure, this is incredible :)

I've got the hd version too. God knows when I'll get round to playing it mind.

I really like wind waker, graphics are amazing, although there's a some needless filler near the end which is unusual for Zelda games. Apparently you can get a faster sail for the boat in the hd version, which should speed some of that up.

I'm going to pass on the fast sail, I know where it is now and how to get it but I'm really enjoying sailing around!

Manicm, there seem to be no issues with the Wii U version, although I wish I could invert the vertical directions, that took hours to adapt to :S

Spatular, you'll have the best time I'm sure. I had forgotten almost all of it, so far it's 100% enjoyment