passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma II ​🐉​

one-armed dwarf

Pleased that they've stuck with single player (+ AI pawns) I did fear that, given DD Online, they'd be putting online co-op in there.

The trailer doesn't really show too much that's new though, just predominantly a bunch of repetition of how character classes work (much the same as DD) - but additional environmental effects look like they could be good.

TBH if it was all just more of the same though I'd be reasonably happy - especially if they include creepy indoor areas that were a large part of DD:DA.

Kind of seems like a game made with considerable constraints on its scope tbh.

Every Itsuno game is like that tho, all resources on combat mechanics and nothing else. That's where my expectations have been set for this even before it was officially announced. 

I really wish though when they made gameplay footage they would do a better job showing off the mechanical interactions and enemy behaviours. The coolest thing in that video is the bit where the arisen is holding onto a harpy or something and falls from a height and is rescued by a pawn. If mechanics like that can be relied on it allows for lots of interesting approaches. Like, what if fall damage was something you never had to think about, and the crazy risky things you could do with that.

For that reason, I think it is a shame it doesn't have an optional co-op mechanic to its pawn system and I don't completely believe it's a design choice they're making there, more just to control the scope of things a bit. I think otherwise they would put it in, I mean they put it in DMC5 for some reason. No way that wasn't supposed to be in this, well that's my theory anyway

The main thing I hope for is a bit more enemy variety when it comes to the larger enemies, a few less cyclops this time

Gamecentral had a bit of a hands on play, where:

"In fact, the whole game feels almost more like a remake than a sequel, with very little that seems completely new – even if the relative uniqueness of the first game means that’s less of a problem than it might have been. It is new – the map is four times bigger than the original – but because it’s years since we last played it, the memory of the first game ends up keeping pace with the reality of the new game, which is a common problem with remakes."

Overall they seemed to liked it though.

"...we can’t wait to play it again when it is (finished), as while it doesn’t seem a major departure from the original, that was unique enough that even after all these years the sequel still feels surprisingly fresh."

Hands on with DD2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never played the first one because I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a purely gameplay-driven RPG. But I think I might give this one a shot depending on how it turns out and whether I'm in the mood.

Did they speak ye olde English in the first game as well?

The different ways of getting to the colossus are pretty cool. Grab a harpy, run around the environment and jump on. Wonder if a pawn can use a shield to vault you up as well

Actually fighting it looks kinda boring tho, reminds me of the Gilgamesh fight in dmc5.

There's a great sense of physics and reactivity in its combat tho. I think it really needs a demo tho cause the general populace would probably do a better job than Capcom themselves at showing what's cool about this game, as they did with DD1 also

• 1 month later...

I won't be watching this as I already know I'll be playing the shit out of the game but it's here for those who want it.

The marketing for this game is so bad. They kinda seem destined to repeat the original release I feel like, a cult hit with a small group of people.

There's some cool physics and enemy interactions in that vid though, mostly when the player gets fucked up anyway. Unscripted moments of comedy