passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

Maf

09/04/2021 PS4, PS5 and PC 

The graphics and animation in this game look insane. I don’t know anything about this series but if word of mouth is good next April when it comes out I might pick it up. I really like the look of this. 

It really does look fantastic, arc system has nailed the anime style like no one else. In fact I'd argue that they've even surpassed their inspiration at this point, there's no anime out there that looks this good. The new character they announced is really cool as well:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The training stuff looks similar to past games, but the game looks easier to play, which is good for me as I found previous games difficult since it only appealed to long time fans, who are awesome at it and made competitive play a total slog.  I have patience but not enough to handle this game, and the netcode was also really bad for a game as technical as this.

But they're approaching this game withe the easy to play and fuck around but hard to master mindset, and they've built up some goodwill with those that played Dragon Ball Fighterz which did awesome for them.  I hope this Guilty Gear breaks out for them.  They deserve it 

Boxes had the inherent advantage that you could only play with people who had access to the same characters you do. The playerbase might have shrunk a bit from release to release but at least everyone was in the same boat. With Season Passes the community gets fractured the moment a new character comes out. 

It's just not a good model for this genre. To this day I don't know how to punish Blanka stuff in SFV because I refuse to buy him and therefore don't have access to him in training mode. 

Edit: I mean paid Season Passes of course. Something like the Overwatch model would be perfect for fighting games.

I agree that free updates are definitely the most affective.

But boxed releases literally split the player base, I don't get that argument.  I definitely feel better about being able to still play with people using a base fighting game years after its release but just be missing the new characters, and still have access to general gameplay updates and character balances.  And if you do want to get into the weeds all the frame data is available online so you can learn what punishes what if general match up experiences aren't shedding a light on it.  I'll grant that it's not the most ideal, but still better than having to buy a whole new game.

What I'd say could be a good idea too is having all characters available in training mode, and you can learn them and if you think they're fun to play you could choose to buy them individually to take them out of training mode.  I think these alternatives are superior to separate releases.

Frame data just tells half of the story. Using the Blanka example again, he might have horrendous recovery on Blanka Ball on paper, but since he doesn't drop right in front of you but rather a certain distance away you can't solely rely on the numbers. It's a start of course but you need to try that stuff out in training mode. Having them available for free in there would certainly be a better solution than how it is right now.

I'm still pro-boxed though because you just have everything in one package and you know everyone you run into online has too. It also facilitates tournaments down the line. Right now there's not a single release of SFV that has every character on the disc for example.

I suppose it's rather off-topic though.

• 2 weeks later...

Guilty Gear -Strive- Open Beta Starts On The 17th February

Arc System Works has finally announced the open beta test dates for its upcoming major fighting game Guilty Gear Strive. Although the game is also coming to PC and arcades, the beta test will only be available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. While the starting time differs based on whether you have pre-ordered the game digitally or not, the entire test will end on February 21, 2021, at 9:59 AM ET.

Those who have made a digital pre-order on the PlayStation Store—including the standard edition—will be able to access the open beta earlier on February 17, 2021, at 22:00 ET. Everybody else can join the beta test exactly one day later on February 18, 2021, at 22:00 ET.

During the open beta test, players will be able to access the Tutorial, Training, Versus, and Network modes. The open beta client will have 13 playable characters, including the two newcomers Nagoriyuki and Giovanna. While the full game will come with 15 characters, Anji Mito and the 15th character will only be available at the game’s official launch on April 9, 2021.

Although the open beta client will require an online connection for all modes—including those that would be playable offline in the full game, the beta players do not need to have a PlayStation Plus membership to test the online matches.

Guilty Gear Strive will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC on April 9, 2021. Those who bought the Ultimate and Deluxe editions on PlayStation 4 and 5 will be able to play it three days earlier from April 6, 2021. The fighting game will also be available on arcades in Spring 2021.

This is all great news.  Access to the training mode and no need for PS+ for the beta.  Real nice.

A couple of matches:

Spoiler

I don't know if it's just me but I find it extremely hard to follow visually. Axl's kusarigama seems almost invisible at times.

I will give the beta a try though, just for the heck of it. It's pretty cool they have training mode available.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've put two and a half hours into the beta.  Damn I think it's really fun.  It's so good to have good online on one of these games.

As someone who found Xrd to be a bit much it's nice to have this toned down a little but I can see why purists won't be as into it.  It does lean more towards Street Fighter in how fights are paced.  But there's still potential for some nonsense, though no one was doing anything too crazy at my level.

Though I am struggling with the Roman Cancelling but I think it's the sort of thing that comes with experience.

But here's a couple of fights I had towards the end of my session.

It's messy but it's my first day