passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remake

one-armed dwarf

I bought this off the Epic store (hiss, booo) while I should have been working. Put about 20 minutes into the demo and got a 300000 high score but the Nvidia capture failed to record (honestly no really). 

Anyway it seems pretty great but I can't put my finger on it but the physics are weightier than I remember. But this is 15 years ago so it's possible I just forget how it feels and have gotten bad from being older all the time. Or more likely this is base stats Tony Hawk I'm playing

Anyway I'm excite. I actually never played THPS2 beyond just renting it once so that will be fun.

edit forget it, 300000 points isn't even that good apparently. This guy did 100 million in a single combo 

Ok, I've put some pretty good hours into this. My left thumb has a painful blister on it too, a mark of these games. Also I fixed the thread title, oops. But I think this is pretty special. The physics are definitely different even if it is base stats Tony. He has low acceleration which you can definitely feel but something about building momentum and landing tricks feels more difficult than I remember on PS2. I guess the full release will show if that's the case and this is a choice or not but it doesn't feel like a bad one right now but damn this game is really hard.

I am basically not going to stop playing this demo until I can perform a 900 through the secret room. 

edit, yes I did it. I beat the demo ?

This is not a very good run with not a lot of big combos but I did the thing I wanted to do so I'm happy.

Dark horse for a GOTY I reckon, reviews are out today

edit 2 the reviews are out and mostly they are excellent

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/9/3/21418230/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-and-2-review-remaster-ps4-xbox-pc

https://kotaku.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-the-kotaku-review-1844937925

Have seen 'best remake' thrown around, well the demo gives that impression so far. Really surprised by this. I think gaming needs a game like this right now instead of another gritty murder simulator

Unfortunately EGS doesn't let me preload this and doesn't know the actual time it will release, they really work their asses off to make their platform unappealing to buy games on

Put a bunch of time into the full game today, hands are pretty sore. Anyway it feels really good to play and has satisfying progression, that feeling of heaviness I'd mentioned lifts off once you start pumping points into speed, air, lift etc. My only gripe with that stuff is that the way you increase your stats is by hunting for logos throughout levels. I never liked this system, I much prefer how in THUG you levelled that stuff up by practicing moves (grind for 8 seconds,grind levels up). Felt like a much better loop to improve yourself even if it might take a while to get to grips with manuals and grinds.

The part that frustrates me about this old game tho is how much of the challenges are platforming but with a skateboard. Some of them are pretty cool but there is this horrible 'downtown' level which is really way too big and has too much margin for error when you're riding around the entire map grinding across rooftops and doing big leaps across windows and spine transfers. I guess that is the other side of these games that people also enjoy though.

A lot of these old courses hit very differently now. I never enjoyed Downhill Jam in the original game but here when you can link combos together with manuals and wall rides it's just a way more thrilling thing. I'm fairly sure you could do a full combo down the entire track and the momentum you'd get going downhill means you can do all sorts of sick vert shit linked together with manuals without losing speed. It's just super well put together like that and it doesn't feel regressive or anachronistic going back to these old levels with THUG/THPS4 capabilities (no walking this time, which is good)

My hands and tendons are too sore to play more though. I put some time into MP and won like 2 rounds out of 10, there are some really good people online right now on EGS.

I'll also say having a NVME rocks for this game. Instant retries, I was watching Jeff at Giantbomb play on PS4 and his loading times when he fucks up and retries are painful. The PC version is a full point better than console for that single reason imo lol

Weirdly there is in-game lore for why places like the school are abandoned, it's cause of Covid and learning from home lol. New York in THPS2 has a big video ad telling people to shop with a mask on

----

September 5 edit, just so the first page of this thread isn't all me I edited this in
----
I guess these are sort of closing thoughts until I get good at multiplayer, but anyway I 'beat' the THPS2 part of the package. I never played this back in the day but if I'm right I think this is the one that introduces manuals and I think the course design forces it a bit too much. THPS1 has lots of great, simple yet elegant courses but 2 kind of annoys me with the emphasis on flatland. I feel like anyone who's played these on PS2 knows how to link manuals and grinds together but it just feels a bit overstated here. I guess it does feel cool when you're basically platforming across rooftops and grinding rails to build momentum. But give me the simplicity of Burnquist Bowl or even Roswell

There's also like a lot of Covid messages in this game. Venice has a plane flying with a 'masks save lives' flag. I wonder if every level has some sort of thing like that. Again a very handy excuse for the complete absence of NPCs which doesn't break immersion

Man I’ve missed this type of game. It’s fucking brilliant isn’t it?! Straight back in, saying “1 more go” until early hours.   

Almost done all the goals in a couple of sessions, checked these new challenges they’ve put in too, what a brilliant idea and smart way of injecting even more longevity into it beyond chasing scores. I can see me being obsessed with this for a long time. 

Online has been humbling though. Only had a quick go to see what it was like. Always thought I was pretty decent but people can bust out a 250,000 score in literally 5 seconds. I genuinely have no idea how that’s possible. Think I’ll keep off that. Depressing. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Man I’ve missed this type of game. It’s fucking brilliant isn’t it?! Straight back in, saying “1 more go” until early hours.   

Almost done all the goals in a couple of sessions, checked these new challenges they’ve put in too, what a brilliant idea and smart way of injecting even more longevity into it beyond chasing scores. I can see me being obsessed with this for a long time. 

Online has been humbling though. Only had a quick go to see what it was like. Always thought I was pretty decent but people can bust out a 250,000 score in literally 5 seconds. I genuinely have no idea how that’s possible. Think I’ll keep off that. Depressing. 

I saw someone do a 10 million point combo online

I don't know I can git that gud. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

No more bets for you 👎

(also an impromptu reminder that this game was very good if people haven't played it yet)

'Tis a shame 😢 I guess the studio was sacrificed to make sure Blizzard games come out with more regularity. I've still not played this though, need to get round to it at some point.

• 1 year later...