passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us Part II

DisturbedSwan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it's deserved to give it some GOTY prizes. That many? Hard to say, but it feels good as a counterbalance to some of the more puerile and straight up stupid criticisms that have been posted online about it (not saying all of them were, but a certain group of people got triggered really hard by the game).

27 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Tbh if you asked me I would have thought Hades won all the awards this year.

I guess the more mainstream outlets all gave it to TLOUII, but in the more nerdy circles it definitely seemed like Hades.

TLOUP2 got 262 GOTY Awards in total. 171 of which were from Media Outlets, 91 were Readers' Choice.

Hades got 55 GOTY awards. 52 from media outlets, 3 from Readers' Choice. 

Ketchup

I'm just pleased it won so many as a kick in the teeth to the silly incel alt-right wankers more than anything to be honest. 

Did it deserve all the hate it got? No. For the most part, it’s a good game. 

Does it deserve a bajillion GOTY awards? Definitely not, in my opinion. It’s just nowhere near as good as the original. The story dragged on for waaaaay too long. The characters were extremely unlikeable for the most part. And by the end, I was extremely glad it was over with.

Ghost Of Tsushima and Spidey: Miles Morales were far better, and consistently more fun.

I guess someone had to love Abby. I found her to be an exceptionally unlikeable character  

The game tried desperately, and utterly failed to get me to like her. By the end, she wasn’t redeemed, as the game kept pushing me to feel. She’d murdered a key character. Killed another one. And almost killed someone pregnant. She was an absolutely despicable bitch, and I’d be quite happy to never see a Part 3.

Ellie wasn’t much better. She’d pissed her life up the wall.

By the end I loved her. 

Spoiler

You spend the first half of the game absolutely loathing everything about her, and even at the beginning of her Arc you don't feel comfortable spending time in her shoes. 

But by the end you feel she is trying to do something right in this world by helping Lev and Yara. Abby knows she's done some incredibly shitty things throughout her life and is trying to change for the better, she is trying to do something positive in helping Lev and Yara. They are her redemption in the same way Ellie was Joel's redemption in TLOU1, Joel - like Abby - was an incredibly shitty human being who did a ton of horrific things, helping Ellie was Joel's way out of that life, Ellie was his redemption (which is part of the reason he can't let her go at the end of TLOU1). 

Abby has been on that whole revenge ride that Ellie is going on throughout her Arc and is found left wanting. Whereas Ellie is hellbent on revenge no matter the cost to her personal relationships or the monster it turns her into by the end. It's the cycle of violence, revenge and redemption. 

So yeah, for me, Abby is at least trying to be a better person and raise Lev by the end, getting him far away from Seattle whereas Ellie right up until the last moment in the game is still hellbent on revenge. Even when she has a great life with Dina and JJ back in Wyoming she still feels the need to abandon them completely, track down Abby in California and attempt to exact her vengeance.

She had everything and threw it all away just to get a final stab at Abby. It's only the pitiful predicament Abby and Lev find themselves in that stops Ellie from getting her retribution and helps her to realise what a monster she has become from this quest of vengeance, she's then ultimately left with nothing. She realises what a pointless hollow victory it would've been and that it would've set Lev off on the exact same path as she was on, and that Abby was on after the events in Salt Lake City.

There's no right answer here though, the above is just my take on the whole situation. If you feel Abby was irredeemable due to her killing of Joel no matter what she does afterwards then that's fair enough, but I didn't feel that way.

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

By the end I loved her.

I was in the same boat also, complete turn around, I do wonder how things would become in a sequel

This was so close to becoming my GOTY but for me FF7R just clinched it.

My beef with TLOU games is it's way too heavy handed with themes like that and sort of vomits subtext at you.

So it was a good thing that TLOUII just happened to play really well, still didn't stick around long enough to play the whole story so I watched a couple cutscenes on youtube to get some of that stuff but mainly I think they made a really good game about being Rambo but a girl so that's an improvement over TLOU1 which (IMO!!!) was pretty bad.

I never really believed Abby as a character, actually none of that group. I appreciate you're seeing them at their absolute worst when you first meet them, but they've still treked for the better part of a year, fighting the weather, monsters, and scavenging for food. Then when you spend time in their shoes, they're joyful, playful bantz-merchants.

Abby especially sits oddly because she's so driven that she's hench, she's not going to be as playful as she comes across at times, it's just to brute force softening her edges, it really feels like

Abby didn’t redeem herself at all in my opinion.

As she almost happily kills a pregnant woman without giving a toss towards the end. So she hasn’t changed at all, she’s still a bitch.

People may think otherwise. And fair does. But personally I don’t give a fuck about Abby, and I certainly don’t want her story to continue.

No,

Abby almost does it as well. She has a knife to a woman’s throat. Gets told “she’s pregnant”. And Abby’s reaction is “Good”, and prepares to slit her throat, only stopping at the last second.

So yeah. That’s why I don’t give a toss about Abby. She’s totally unlikeable in my opinion.