passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy X / X-2

Sambob

7 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It means you should play the ps4 version, unless you're a coward afraid of commitment.

Please explain

Also I don’t hog threads I just always seem to be playing a game at the same time no one else is playing them. It’s not like I don’t let anyone else talk, there’s just rarely anyone else saying anything at the time I’m in there.

This will be a nice change of pace 

• 2 months later...

So, now I've got a bit of time on my hands (I'm a working musician with nowhere to play all of a sudden, by the way) I've decided to finish this after putting it aside in a huff over missing content, and also to do that forum playthru of ffxii. 

Turns out I left off just as I was about to have the last battle with Sin to get inside the big bugger. Took me 2 wipeouts before I realized that physical attacks were basically charging up his special, so I played it cool and took him out with yuna casting holy with a bit of support from the others feeding her ethers. Got inside and dealt with Seymour (finally), in a battle that had me scratching my head a bit, although I worked it out before he'd done too much damage.

I was a bit surprised he wasn't the final boss, to be honest. I had this idea that he was somehow in control of jecht, and that maybe killing him would see some kind of father-son reunion. Seems not.

Anyway, I'm doing this every second day, interchanging with Tales of vesperia, my current game. I don't feel there's much left, tbh, so maybe I'll be seeing the credits before the week's out. Hope so. It's been my least favourite of the ffs, but I've still enjoyed it.

Still reckon I'll be completing my big final fantasy switch run before the year's out. After this I'll only have ffX-2 and 9 to do.

Another one down! 

Spent a bit of time levelling inside sin against some of the best enemies in the game. In the end it wasn't really worth it. I took Jecht's final summons down basically using aeons, and finished him off with an almighty swing from Yojimbo, who I then used to one hit all the other aeons, when they were possessed by yu yevon. And the last boss (especially when I found out it was a no lose battle) was basically a self-curing inconvenience.

I don't know about this one. I know I'm going to play seven and twelve again some day, and I've had a quick look at 9 and I already feel that could become my favourite! But 10 was annoying in places - extremely melodramatic, with mind numbing puzzles and a random battle frequency against inconsequential enemies that was heartbreaking at times. I'm glad I played it though, as it's a big part of the Jrpg culture, and the genre is fast becoming my favourite.

What I did enjoy was the characters, especially the three girls and Ser Auron. So I reckon I'll be booting up the sequel to see what they got up to after Sin bit the dust.

Much like 12's Vaan, a popular question always seems to pop up with 10. Did anyone actually like Tidus, as a character? I've never found anyone who did. Kimahri, Lulu and Auron were the standout characters to me in this. Although having beaten Final Boss, I think you're at the correct levels to start the Monster Arena post-game stuff. Also did you finish your alphabet?

I think sidequests in JRPGs are pretty poor in general. The best ones coming to mind are probably the social links from the Persona series but even those are basically just little visual novels with multiple choice sprinkled in.

As for FFX, from my perspective it's just one of those games that came out at exactly the right time and found exactly the right target audience. It is basically the FFVII of a slightly younger generation and will therefore always be considered one of the classics of the franchise. But just like other cult classics that were impactful at their release – I'm thinking of Halo as another example – it's just a rather average experience all around if you look at it from a more distanced perspective. FFX has a solid battle system where every enemy is kind of like a little puzzle and the Sphere Grid is a good idea, at least during a normal playthrough (maxing it out shows its flaws though, as every character will turn out to be the same). But the story is messy and really vague and the characters never really open up, so you feel kind of like a detached observer (IMO). Dungeons are extremely poorly designed and the game is basically as linear as FFXIII later turned out to be. I'm pretty sure that if it got released today, it would never gain the status of a classic of the genre. It was a game of its time, funnily enough the polar opposite of FFXII which was way ahead of its time and only, finally, got the recognition it deserved when SE released the HD remaster.

I think it has a certain charm that pulls you thru. Since I finished it I've been thinking how I might have improved my run thru, for instance getting a friend sphere for rikku and making her a black mage as early as possible, because she would have been more use as an ornament in my game.

I didn't mind the linearity, to be fair (maybe I wouldn't mind ff13 that much?). I like exploration, but with this random battle intensity the one open(ish) map, the calm lands, was a chore more than anything. 

I still find the term sidequest in regards of these games to be a bit confusing. I'm always looking around for some NPC with a mad favour to ask because that's what I'm used to, but it's not like that here. It's more about completing shady skill feats to get rewards that have little impact on the narrative. I don't think I'll ever be into stuff like that. Maybe that worked 20 years ago when quality games were rare, but it does bugger all for me. 

On to Ff9?

(Actually, I have to beat Vesperia first.)

41 minutes ago, bellow said:

On to FF9?

As far as side quests go, get ready for Skipping, Auction bidding and the Super addictive Chocobo Hot N’ Cold.

It has a card game too. Which you might enjoy more having not played FF8, unlike its detractors. Be warned there is some RNG to it, regardless of how quickly you pick it up.

30 minutes ago, bellow said:

I love skipping. I especially like skipping near auctions.

Oh and before I forget, as is typical of FF, the Auction Bidding and Card Game are initially mandatory parts of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that maybe you get to have 2 jobs available to u on the fly in this, like in other Jrpgs I've played. But then that would mean wearing 2 dresses at once. Or would it. I don't mind switching, although I'm thinking the 'changing' animation might get old.

At the moment I have yuna switching between white mage and theif, Rikku on black mage/gunner, and whatshername on swords.

Feel free to say why this is wrong.