passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy X / X-2

Sambob

Absolutely loving this so far. Really glad I did pick it up because its been a joy. All the good things I remember about it are there and not many of the bad. I think a lot of it back in the day was me not being that good a player and not paying attention but so far I havnt had any issues. Im actually enjoying the blitzball element of it which I didnt last time round. I have to say, Sly, I think you might like elements of this, although its probably a bit too story heavy to be the best converter in the series.

I dont remember the scouting element to it at all last time, or the marking / skill copying, I just remember completely not understanding it and getting beaten every game. I think im going to spend a bit of time levelling up in a bit, just done the battle where the

Al-Bhed try to use their Machina on Sin but get totally wiped out

so im not really that far into it yet, and to be honest havnt particularly had any trouble with enemies, but if I remember correctly it starts to spike in difficulty soon.

Ah shit, the perils of playing at work. Just spent ages doing stuff, including the cloyster of trials in the Macalania Temple after you beat Seymour and Anima, and then my battery died and I dont have my charger, hopefully I only lost the cloyster stuff as im pretty sure I saved after Seymour. Still loving the game though, Ive done something like 17 hours so far.

Also I remembered why I got cold feet about buying this, its because back in the day I got to around about the part im at now and my PS2 memory card got corrupted and I had to start again, ended up just watching somebody else's playthrough of various bits, which explains why I dont remember all of the story but do remember certain parts.

My Aeons are weak as fuck, I barely use them. Ive been making an effort to cycle around the team as much as possible but a few characters are just shit, Kimhari being a prime example bless him. Got a decent little blitzball team now though, finally got rid of that shit keepa and now with Miyu in goal nothing gets in, couple that with Tidus being a decent level and im winning stuff 5 or 6 nil now. Could do with decent defenders as im still using the original Aurochs players there but it doesnt really matter. Once I get the airship, which I seem to remember being fairly soon, I will start looking at it properly. I only really played it to get Wakka's Attack Reels overdrive.

Few little things I dont seem to remember from last time, and thats overdrive modes. Been experimenting a bit and it seems like Warrior mode is the best, got Tidus on Slayer but lately its been lots of big enemies so a bit pointless, just depends on what you are doing really. Also using the Aeons shield is vital against certain bosses, Seymour particularly. I was cycling through aeon shield and tidus on Haste and once that clicked the fight was no problem, and im certain that it was one I really struggled with last time. I managed to just whip Sheeva in before Anima did its Overdrive and it only took about 200 damage and normally thats a party killer, then swapped back to Tidus and he was doing 2000 a swipe, pairing that with haste and counterattack sword and it was over in no time.

What have you done to get your Aeons knocking out that kind of damage?

Oh you mean on an overdrive against correct type, okay yeah mine have done that once or twice, mainly shiva the sexy biatch. I thought you meant each attack was doing that.

Id say Lulu is my best character too, especially now she has Bio, ripping through the desert enemies. Going to switch Tidus to Warrior too, he gets so many hits but not always the kill so its not working out that well at the moment, and I want him to get through his overdrives as quickly as possible.

Raptr has me ranked number one on this at the moment, which doesnt quite seem right, but im down with that:

post-154-0-01072200-1395917087_thumb.jpg

Aww yeah!

Just doing the Al Behd level and im thinking between this and the desert its the games sort of hint to level up because the enemies are massive but ultimately beatable, so im going to spend a bit of time sorting out the sphere grid for characters and getting them to some decent skills as I dont want to have to grind later on because I think the enemies get much harder soon. Oh by the way, I switched Tidus to warrior and gave him a sword with counter attack on it and he is doing a shit load better than before, with all his attacks due to haste and delay attack he actually probably does the best on the team with his overdrive hitting so often. Although lulu has Demi now and thats helping an awful lot.

Fo Sho manilla, that time is racking up already.

Im basically trying to avoid any kind of difficulty spike along the way as that is invariably what kills my boner for these kind of games, id rather do gradual grinding at the most efficient points and keep the overall progression steady. Im going to try and get the Celestial Weapons as soon as I can do too, so the more powerful I am along the way, the sooner I will get to that point.

Yeah one thing I remember about this game is that you have to get the Celestial weapon components as early as possible...otherwise they end up being blocked by Dark Aeons. I know Dark Bahamut guards one of the celestial pieces in Zanarkand if you don't get it the first time.

Im just past mount gagazet now, going for celestials as soon as I can. That Seymour fight was a pain in the arse, had to resort to cheap tactics to win it, basically when the game decides you are dead then you are dead.

Its weird, it seemed to sync them up to a point and then has stopped. Will have a little look.

EDIT: Vita needs a software update, will do it later. I notice ive dropped from top spot on raptr, but ive hardly had time to play it over the weekend.

That section basically from Bevelle to Zanarkand is probably a bit too long in my opinion, they do a good job of pacing up until then but it seems like a long section, particularly filled with difficult and constant battles. I know that the point as Zanarkand is a big ramp up and then it takes it foot off after then.

Ive got a shit load of special spheres lying around, im not really sure what ive been saving them for. Every time I looked for a bit of advice online about best routes to take on the sphere grid they all said to save the special spheres and that and now ive got loads. Im thinking about making Yuna go black magic and then dropping lulu. I dont know, my party is doing generally alright at the moment, im circulating a lot more than other FF games because the way the enemies are designed means youve got to use each character and therefore they all level up fairly well.

I read a lot about Auron being redundant by a certain point, and Tidus and Wakka being the dogs bollocks but that still hasnt happened yet and doesnt look like it will do for some time. I think when I get the celestial weapons all powered up with the damage limit removed then it might be the case, I can see Wakka's unshackled Attack Reels doing a shit ton of damage if you hit it right. Im just itching to get those celestial weapons but I think its going to be a case of waiting until after Zanarkand at least.

I tried that Monster Arena catching quest too, but there were 2 enemies I could catch because they didnt show up, and after two hours I got fed up and wanted to move on, if I remember correctly all you get is the ability to fight this frankenstein monster that the keeper makes and I cant be bothered with that at this stage. Online people seem to be raving about the monster arena though so perhaps im going to have to revisit that later on.

Ive seen a list of Rikku's best mixes and some of them are devastating, but ive never heard of the ingredients and have no clue how to get them. It sounds like theres probably only one of them in the game and I imagine they could probably be put to good use on a weapon or some such. One of her best mixes makes every character do 19888 on each attack for the rest of the fight, combine that with wakkas overdrive and thats an insta kill on even the toughest dark aeon.

Ive done zanarkand and have the airship. Not done Sin yet because im going to do some of the fun bits, and side quests first. I need to get yojimbo because I forgot to finish one of the destruction spheres in the cloister of trials, the first one, and as a result dark valefor is now guarding it. So I need to get yojimbo so i can pay him to hopefully Zanmato the fuck out of Valefor, and then I can get Anima in Baaj temple. I just want one or two celestial weapons powered up so that Sin is a bit easier. I just need the Sigil for Wakka and then ive got two fully powered up weapons, which means I need to get playing blitzball until it appears.

I last played this about 8 years ago and some of it does sound familiar but the rest still sounds weird even now. I did take down all the dark Aeons and get everyone's ultimate weapon though. Most annoying was lighting dodging and the early stages of blitz ball. It's not the worst ff personal. That's 8. It was just missing something cute.

I cant for the life of me get wakkas auroch reels, I managed to get it to appear by doing the reset data trick, but then I wasnt good enough with original players to win it, so I booted up my save file and had to redo the tournament to win. Because I got it with the other save file I know ive met the prerequisites so its just down to luck of it appearing but it just isnt. Fucking game, love and hate it in equal measures.

If I do take on the aeons im just going to use the cheaty Yojimbo thing. I am going to have to take on dark valefor to get the locked aeons, so thats going to be my tactic for that, just save money, save the game and then pay the fucker to zanmato him. Bit cheaty, but hey, its within the game rules.

Elder scrolls is taking away my time from this, and the constant reshuffling and blitzballing is chipping away at my love for this when I do get time for it. In a way im glad that some of this stuff is such a challenge because it feels good to do it, but then on the flip side its tricky a fuck and I hate it.

• 3 weeks later...