passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Don't think they've been mentioned but I personally spent far too much time in the ori games simply bouncing around in order to take in the beautiful art design.

Ori and okami are the ones that stand out for me. I do enjoy the art design in psychonauts, though, but that mainly because it's generally mad as hell.

In terms of technological leaps, I’d say Jak and Daxter and FFX for the PS2 impressed me the most. For the 360, I was a late adapter and played everything on an sdtv for 2 years, but games like Bioshock, Fable 2 and GTA IV were certainly very impressive. I’m drawing blanks on a 360 game that blew me away with its graphics though. It might actually be Fable 2 if I had to pick one from memory. For the PS4 generation it’s an easy winner, The Witcher 3.

I didn't even think about the fanservice games when Sly mentioned the "masculine" stuff. Thought he was referring to things like Army of Two or whatever, which is something I'd only get near to if my life depended on it due to its dudebro attitude and the "cool" skull masks and whatnot. 

Huh, guess what, there's a game that turned me off due to its overall presentation and art style after all.

3 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

I’m drawing blanks on a 360 game that blew me away with its graphics though.

I was a PS3 boy back in those days and I do recall being rather jealous that my console had nothing that looked as next gen as Gears of war.

(Which reminds me, I need to play 4 and 5....)

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

Army of Two was hilarious though, a dudebro shooter that was actively taking the piss out of dudebro.

Yeah, that game knew exactly what it was doing and rolled with it to the nth degree... it was actually a decent shooter too.

24 minutes ago, bellow said:

I was a PS3 boy back in those days and I do recall being rather jealous that my console had nothing that looked as next gen as Gears of war.

?...

NK9HmLNjRsmLyOkUvFaa8fK1y1cKzQK-x1dNWly5

Yea I was mainly a 360 boy but the PS3 exclusives from UC2 onwards definitely looked a lot better. GoW 3 is still a graphical powerhouse IMO.

Some amazing looking games have been mentioned. Can’t believe I forgot about Okami too. Another all timer. Stupid shit memory. 

Just remembered another in the negative camp for me. The Flash graphical style. Always got a groan out of me whenever I saw that style and would be immediately put off playing anything with it. 

51 minutes ago, bellow said:

(Which reminds me, I need to play 4 and 5....)

Yes, you do!

Just forgive Gears 4 for it's opening chapter... Gears 5 is top notch all the way through.

15 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Just remembered another in the negative camp for me. The Flash graphical style. Always got a groan out of me whenever I saw that style and would be immediately put off playing anything with it. 

?...

Spoiler

Indeed. A lot of sources I read now describe the aesthetic of the PS360 era in general, being very.. washed out. Earth tones and all that. GoW and GoW (huh, didn't notice at first?) were exceptions, not the rule.

A lot of games used UE3 during that generation and it took most developers quite a while to get a bit more creative with that toolset. So while we did eventually see the likes of Mirror's Edge, Enslaved and Killer is Dead pop up, a lot of games from the first half of that generation just had that "UE3 look" to them, even the JRPGs like Lost Odyssey and Magnacarta 2.

52 minutes ago, Nag said:

Is that in Army of Two?... I honestly can't remember it that well.

It is. There's another bit that goes along the lines of

"Hey, I hope the Cowboys win tonight, I've 20 grand on them"

"You're gambling 20 grand? You're insane!"

"Yeah, but I might be dead tomorrow, so if I lose whatever"

:lol: