passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

4 was revolutionary at the time but the most surprising thing about it as said above is that it's also a masterclass in pacing. At least until the island stage, the island stage is a bit stinky except for one or two moments. But for such a long game to sustain interest and excitement right through like that is pretty rare I reckon. The closest I've seen since is the God of War reboot but that took like 5 hours to get good while RE4 is great out the gate. It's just a rollercoaster of constantly interesting sequences and set pieces. The remake will never capture that lightning in a bottle again, even with better controls and graphics. None of its spiritual sequels did either, 5, 6 nor Revelations. 

It took a while for me to like RE4. I was very excited for it, having grown up with the four previous mainline titles. Pre-ordered a very nifty looking Steelbook and everything. The opening village sequence had me hooked and if that had been the whole game. A tension filled, claustrophobic cat and mouse through dilapidated streets. It probably would have been my favourite in the series. But it wasn't. The 'survival horror' that appeals to me, fell away almost immediately after that. Coupled with Leon's sudden superhero moveset and I just tapped out a few hours in.  My brother was itching to try it. So I lent it to him and promptly forgot about it for a year or two.

He eventually nagged me enough that I went back into it and did finish it. While dreading every single scene with Ashley, in the end I thought it was alright. Was the gameplay better than previous instalments? Yes, that's not even referring strictly to the removal of tank controls. But everything from the aiming to the camera was a major step forward. 

But that isn't always enough. More has to click with me in a video game than just what the X button does. Which is why, in the end I thought it was alright. It wasn't a favourite and I wouldn't return to it again.

I suppose it is one of those that you would enjoy more if it were your first experience with RE. Although REmake 1 is the default recommendation I would give to newcomers to the series. As a showcase for what RE is at it's best.

Can't say I'm that big on Resi. I enjoy them, but I wouldn't care if I never played another.

I watched a friend play 4 through recently and it's pretty poor after the initial opening. By the point you reach the castle it's pretty uninteresting. The regenerators are also fun killers.

RE4 is one of those games where you can see so much of its DNA in games that came after, it really laid a lot of foundations, but it's not the perfect game it's often touted as.

Personal favourite is RE2. Maybe one day I'll play the remake.

I have zero interest in the first person ones.

I loved 4 for the longest time, I pretty much despise it now... I guess that's what comes of over playing something to that extent. In all honesty I'd sooner play 5 and 6 nowadays.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

Personal favourite is RE2. Maybe one day I'll play the remake.

You really should as it's fucking excellent.

Much better than 4.?

We all know that RE4 Leon was basically Dante at some point in development, right. 

Which makes him the best Leon, he says to a guy that 'your right arm comes off'. That's great. RE2 Leon would never drop such cheese with such confidence. RE6 Leon is too busy being gritty and edgy.

4 hours ago, OCH said:

Yes, that's not even referring strictly to the removal of tank controls

They didn't even do that, but those controls just work better from a third-person standpoint since forward is always "into the screen".

hunter_1426607870-e1427218655721.jpg

Readers discuss the games they’d most like to see get an upgrade on Xbox Series X and PS5, from old classics to new titles like Monster Hunter: World.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was inspired by reader Bacon and Microsoft’s ongoing efforts in terms of backwards compatibility and features like the FPS Boost. As such, he asked which retro video game would you most like to see get a boost from next gen emulation?

Many types of games were suggested, from the very recent to old PlayStation 1 era games, although the clear winner was Bloodborne, with many upset that it hasn’t already had a PlayStation 5 boost.

I wish Castlevania: Lords of Shadow would get the 60fps treatment for modern system. It already runs better than it used to on Xbox One / X / Series but the PC version is just so much smoother. Visually it holds up extremely well and it almost looks one generation younger than it really is, but the framerate can sometimes be an issue considering there are a couple of timing-sensitive moments in the game. Unfortunately, it being a Konami property all we can hope these days is that they put the game's artworks on a Pachinko machine.

In fact a lot of my favourite PS360 could benefit from it. Mirror's Edge, Remember Me, Shadows of the Damned. At least BioShock and Mass Effect got re-released.

In a similar vein:

Suikoden HD Collection - Konami

Legacy of Kain HD Collection - Squeenix

Seven games in the former series, five in the latter. I really don't care if they just re-release them all as is, warts and all. A compilation for each is all I ask.

Is this just basically asking which games we’d like to have remastered again? 

If I’m being a bit more strict with mine as in games from last gen with a 60fps patch maybe with 4k... All of them really. But if I have to pick one, I guess Last of Us Part 2. I can’t really think of any major hitters that haven’t had it yet. I can see Bloodborne for the people who like that game though. Surprised it’s not had a next gen patch already. Bet they’re going to try and sell it again instead. 

There's only one (major) game that I remember playing on it's original release that I was actively aware was running really poorly. Even then it didn't really ruin the experience.

And that was Mass Effect. I wouldn't usually replay a lengthy RPG, but I'm looking forward to the new version of that.

Mostly though, I don't need remasters. If the power of these newer consoles makes old games run  as they were originally intended but often never, ie a smooth 30fps, I'm happy with that.

I took this as just from the last generation but I suppose it doesn't say that.

From last gen, imagine The Order 1886 in a full resolution! In all seriousness, that was a really good looking game, and putting that up to 4k, maybe even 4k 60fps it'd look great still I think. Also helps that I thought it was a decent game that could have been really improved with a sequel

I was always a bit surprised The Puppeteer never got a rerelease. It came out right at the end of the PS3's life, barely anyone played it, and it did have a few performance issues, but it was a good game

I hope in the future the standard has been set by MS and companies will do more work to just have really good BC in their systems, so we won't need remasters. Cause most remasters just seem to be higher framerate and resolution, ie stuff that MS seems to be doing for free these days anyway. Or how PC works.

For a proper remaster I would like Bloodborne, I hope it gets more than just frames and resolution at this stage though. I watched a digital foundry video of it recently where they upscaled it and had it running at 60 and it didn't look so good anymore, it needs more work. Not on the level of a bluepoint remake (cause that would change the art far too much) but maybe some more modern lighting systems at least.

this is interesting

Tin foil hat I think they are holding onto Bloodborne for something more ambitious than checking a 60fps flag

44 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Tin foil hat I think they are holding onto Bloodborne for something more ambitious than checking a 60fps flag

I wouldn't be surprised. Bloodborne is as much Sony's baby as Demon's Souls. Assuming DeS remake was the level of success they were hoping for. Their eyes will turn to the next potential cash-cow.