passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

Warner Bros are apparently wanting to ditch “volatile” Triple A console games, and lean into free to play/mobile games. 

Can someone buy Mortal Kombat off these clowns, please? MK1 was an utter mess. 

I don’t know why they think because some games can make millions per month all games can make millions per month. It’s not that AAA is volatile (the way this exec means it) it’s that some live service games are extremely lucky. 

In fairness I think Harry Potter as some kind of MMO makes sense. But good luck playing Mortal Kombat on a phone 

I can see the 'volatile' description if you look at it very plainly. Hogwarts Legacy was the best-selling AAA game from 2023 while Suicide Squad will likely end up being the worst-selling AAA game of 2024 (Skull and Bones doesn't count, that's AAAA). So if they don't look any further than 'one big game good, one big game bad', then yeah, I suppose that can be a conclusion.

But WB have always made weird choices that have been putting me off their games since the 360 era. Locking Catwoman behind a code/paywall in Arkham City was the beginning of some monetisation nonsense I stopped taking part in after Arkham Knight's release. Hopefully Wonder Woman will be a decent farewell to their single player offerings.

I’d totally forgotten about their Wonder Woman game. That’s definitely going to turn out to be their last single player game.

Suicide Squad will be lucky to last the year. Joker will come out this month, then that’ll be about it. I’m fully expecting for Rocksteady to be shut down soon afterwards. They may have promised “more story content to come”. But nobody is arsed. The few people that are still bothering to play it, are being hit by frequent bugs and crashes. 

Another thing I dislike about the WB's comment is referring to MK1 as a "one and done". Muthafucka you just put out DLC

There was another comment from Disney about games a few weeks ago 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disneys-epic-video-games-investment-1235824308/

“The first thing they showed me were the demographic trends,” Iger recalled, speaking to Wall Street analysts Feb. 7. “When I saw Gen Z and Gen Alpha and even millennials, and I saw the amount of time they were spending in terms of their total media screen time on video games, it was stunning to me, equal to what they spend on TV and movies.” 

The conclusion he reached: “We have to be there, and we have to be there as soon as we possibly can in a very compelling way,” Iger added, noting that historically Disney has simply licensed its IP to outside game studios.

The “stunning” data led to Disney’s biggest bet in gaming ever: a $1.5 billion investment in Fortnite studio Epic Games, run by Tim Sweeney, and a promise to create a “games and entertainment universe” filled with Disney IP, interoperable with Fortnite, “a world where people could play games that we create, could create their own games,” Iger added. “You can imagine the creation of shortform videos, or we may even use the platform to actually distribute some of our content.”

You know I don't hate the video game business. We wouldn't have what we have without it. For good and bad. But these film execs don't get it at all. The lens they look at this stuff through is "look how much and how consistently video games get money compared to us" while looking at the top 5 earners. 

I posted a GDC talk from Iwata from around the late 2000's. And one of the best things he said was he was proud that the best and most popular video games originated from video games and not other media. Vindicating both game devs and video games itself. 

So fuck these muthafuckas you stay over there drowning in debt trying to understand the Netflix model and GTFO out of here. You do not belong. You will never succeed because you don't get it. You can't slap a DC property on to Destiny, or put Star Wars into Fortnite and sell D+ on it. That's not how this works

WB have basically gone flying off the rails. Suicide Squad is a massive flop, and deservedly so, frankly. It’s bloody tedious, and it doesn’t even have a proper ending. And with cancellation hanging over its neck, it very likely never will. Other live service games such as Anthem, and Avengers, at least put up a bit of a fight, albeit a minimal one. SS is basically already dead. Yet, WB want to churn out more live service shite, and mobile games, which I stopped giving a toss about a very long time ago.

I don’t like Fortnite, at all. I can’t be arsed with the whole battle Royale genre. But at least they put effort in. Warner Bros are such lazy sods now. They seem hell bent on taking the dickhead crown from Konami.

Thing is, Destiny 1 has far more creativity than Suicide Squad, because that at least had more than one enemy type in it. Avengers got very repetitive, very quickly, due to a severe lack of enemy types. SS decided to scale back even further with their enemy design, leading to one faction, for the entire game.

I enjoy watching Matt McMuscles “What Happened” YouTube videos, where he does a deep dive into flopped games, and picks apart what caused it to fail. He will inevitably do a video about Rocksteady, and Suicide Squad at some point.

Some people are still adamant that there’s going to be another Arkham game, or hoping to see a proper Superman game. Not while these clueless jackasses are behind the wheel, boys and girls. 

Tekken 8 continues to thrive, in a way that Mortal Kombat 1 just never will. But hey, won’t be long before they can charge us a few quid for an Easter Bunny related fatality, right? 

For MK this isn't necessarily a change, they've always very quickly jumped to the next game instead of curating the current one. It's no accident we're already at the 12th mainline game with lots of spin-offs and Injustice games getting made in between.

I actually don't even think that's bad per se. I kind of liked when companies were still doing multiple fighting game IPs per generation. It prevented them being neutered in an effort to finding balance and also made the landscape more interesting to look at. MK's problem isn't really its quick turnaround but rather (maybe a hot take) that it simply has never been a good fighting game to begin with. And even 'problem' is kind of misplaced, considering it has a huge fanbase and consistently outsells every other FG on the market – they've found a more casual audience who likes the lore and gore and run with it and that's ok, too.

Oh, nice Ubisoft did a sequel to Valiant Hearts and it’s out today on everything. I really enjoyed the first one on PS4.

Just checked and it’s only £12.99 on Switch. That’s pretty cool

This has actually been available on mobile for a while, which is such an odd platform for this game/series.

The first one was indeed excellent (also had one of the best trailers for a game ever made imo), I'll definitely give this a shot at some point.

All right I’ll stop using this thread for everything

But WB is delisting 60 games from Steam. Couldn’t find out the reason for it. From one comment I saw it could be like streaming companies take their content down for tax write off. Maybe this is the same? Not sure 

• 2 weeks later...

The artstyle is an acquired taste but gameplay-wise this seems to take some inspiration from the Battle Network games, which have quite a dedicated following.

(The title is a play on words, arc-en-ciel is French for rainbow, which presumably explains the colour palette.)

Game Developer’s Conference Awards

List of winners:

Best Audio: Hi-Fi Rush

Best Design: Baldur's Gate 3

Best Debut: Venba

Best Innovation: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Best Narrative: Baldur's Gate 3

Best Technology: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Best Visual Art: Alan Wake 2

Social Impact Award: Venba

Audience Award: Baldur's Gate 3

Lifetime Achievement Award: Yoko Shimomura

Ambassador Award: Fawzi Mesmar

Here's an archive of the show (starts around 1:30:00):

Yoko Shimomura's acceptance speech (2:34:00) was very heartwarming. It's interesting how frequently these old 'sensei type' figures of the industry sometimes seem almost oblivious about their overseas reputation. Shows just how closed-off Japanese game development has been and still is to this day.