passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

radiofloyd

It was odd, as in game it was always described as something visually distinct. That you could tell from someone's eyes at a glance, they were in Soldier. Since it was a side effect of being Mako infused, I always took that to mean they had some kind of green, possibly reflective, glow. Like cats eyes in the dark.

Played Remake at gamescom

Its alright. Honestly wasnt as taken away as I expected  given that this was my favourite game growing up. Visuals, animations and tech seem a bit behind. But theres months left to bring it up to standard.

I think tho I might be over VII as sad as that is

Combat is very cleverly designed though, with the real time swapping between team members mapped to up and down and the shoulder buttons opening up a quick menu which stops combat so you can tell individual members to do spells/physical attacks.

ATB is "stock" based like ffxiii. Combat look and feel is like XV mixed with KHIII. Sort of bits of everything here

(Late update with more thoughts on combat...)

Basically whichever character you are controlling will have their ATB fill faster. Which leads to situations where you see the bosses stagger bar fill and will want to switch to Cloud so he can fill his ATB quick enough to do a big attack when the boss is weak. Meanwhile you can be issuing commands to Barret to get him to spend his ATB on spells to speed the stagger up.

It's an extremely clever system that seems designed to push you to not just use one character and to get used to the idea also of giving instructions to the one you arent controlling. This way ATB is no longer about waiting your turn but managing your party's resource. ATB is a pace setter rather than an annoying technical limitation

Unfortunately I think I picked German language by accident so it was very confusing and Barett sounded ridiculous (he says "Och Noooo" when guard scorpion shows up which made me laugh)

Spent most of the time playing as Barett actually. He Naruto runs now so is obviously the superior choice

Also at the start there was a little bit which was kind of like an escape room where they make you watch Shinra propaganda but German Jesse hijacks the signal or whatever. You see some of upper plate Midgar during the day, it sort of looked like London to me. Which hopefully we get to see more of in the game.

I cant share pictures of the demo

because Squares ninjas prevented us from taking any. But some of the displays were pretty cool

I was lucky I only had to queue 40ish minutes. Some less lucky feckers sat in a smelly fecking line for 3 fecking hours

20190823_092810.jpg

20190823_121815.jpg

Some sneaky ninja evaded the Square Enix ninjas and took screen shots of the daytime Midgar part. This is the Shinra "propaganda" video I mentioned with Jesse hacking it

aAIZGam.png

This stuff isn't playable tho, just cutscene

https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-vii-remake-screenshots-and-details-from-new-scenes-gamescom-demo.137088/

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nag said:

Was that smarmy looking fat guy Don Corneo?

Yep, as voiced by Mark Hamill, it seems... Interesting choice.

Well there was the gym and Cloud awkwardly posed between Tifa and Aeris. Right there in the trailer. They're doing it...

Don Corneo's voice in @Nag's English trailer sure sounded like Hamill. I do think someone with a sleazier voice would have worked better, maybe. Danny Devito perhaps? Corneo was always a vile scumbag in the original, Hamill might not be base and repulsive enough...

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Better get used to calling her Aerith for this game.

I'll likely switch them interchangeably. That's what I normally do?‍♂️