Sly Reflex

You played 8 total games

304 total hours

on Nintendo Switch this year!

Most Played this year:

Legend of Zelda: TotK - 186 hours

Mega Drive Online - 59 hours

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 27 hours 

So I did play something in 2023, after all..

Tekken 8 - demo

I won't start a thread about the game until it actually comes out. But I finally got around to playing the demo.. It's pretty awesome. The title screen in particular, looks fantastic.

When it comes to gameplay I would say I'm rusty. Except in the single chapter of story mode available, they put you in control of Jin. Who I haven't liked since T3.

That hasn't changed.

Not entirely sure I "get" the new mechanics yet, Heat and such. So I tried to play like a normal Tekken for the most part. Did have to cheese throws and the finisher moves to beat Kazuya (Medium difficulty isn't messing around). Who I really wish I got to play as instead (a main of mine since Tekken 2). Might give practice mode another go between now and when the main game releases. But so far, more impressed with the production values of this than I was with MK1.

What are ya sellin'?

I don't think we have a dedicated thread for it? But I decided to purge some of the collection today:

Illusion Island

Legend of Zelda: TotK

MK1

All completed as far as I care to. After that, it's just dead wood on the shelf. £50-ish quid from Cex. But I don't do it for the money, so that part doesn't really matter.

I know. Friends and co-workers refer to me as "the bloodhound". I'm very good at finding things, scouring prices etc If that was my aim, I could have gone for near-ceiling prices for all three. But that isn't what I got rid of them for.

Isn’t it kind of pointless really scouring prices for stuff if you’re just willing to throw an extra £30 or so away like that on another day? Not having a go btw, just curious. 

40 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Isn’t it kind of pointless really scouring prices for stuff if you’re just willing to throw an extra £30 or so away like that on another day? Not having a go btw, just curious. 

No, no. I do that for other people's stuff. I rarely bother with myself.

Has anyone played that Lethal Company game? I'm not sure what it actually is but some of the clips I've seen on Instagram look hilarious.🤣

Tbf it's probably more the reactions of the folks playing rather than the game itself but yeah some of the clips have had me in bits.

I've bought it but not got around to playing it yet. It has to be better than Phasmophobia though, that game was such shit. I was over it in an hour. Maybe Lethal Company will be the same.

I sort of felt like that with Valheim as well, but I gave that another go and ended up really liking it. Speaking of, it got a new update and I've not played it since that come out.

Yeah, I've been looking into them.  They have a very blatant Hollow Knight clone too.  

They just seem hackey as hell but got some traction with the "lol, Pokémon with guns" game, which on its own is fine but like I said in the MS thread it's tied to dev lead by an AI art simp so combine that with their derivative games it doesn't look good.

I know it can be a hard thing to differentiate between heart on it's sleeve inspiration and cynical plagiarism in these cases but all things considered I'm getting the latter from Palworld.

In Palworld’s defence, I saw a Twitter thread from a lead Dev from Dishonored (I think), they were saying that what they’ve built isn’t easy. Even if Palworld is a bunch of current trends slapped together with a Pokemon with guns gimmick layered on top, making a fun game isn’t easy. Games aren’t like spaghetti at the wall where you just throw things at it and see what sticks. It takes a lot of work to get so many systems, different systems at that, working together in a way which is genuinely fun. 

(The thread is written in a much better and smarter way than I’ve made the point, but it’s still the point)

I knew that already. So I can respect that at least. But it’s that cynical, soulless nature of the thing that makes me dislike it. In essence it’s the same as Fortnite. You could say the same about the fact that you can’t just copy gaming trends to make a game successful. You have to make it good/fun. But even so the idea of a trend chaser has a really gross feel to it. Like Fortnite was meant to be a Minecraft rip-off before that didn’t work and they made it a PubG rip off. 

Again, I get that you can’t just copy disparate systems from different games and you win. Game dev isn’t 2+2 like that. But dev talent or not it’s the blatant lack of originality or, I dunno, lack of soul which makes it really ugly.

The company owner being big on AI is a separate, but also gross thing on its own. Bearing in mind there’s no proof of AI being used in Palworld. It’s icky by relation. 

With 2024 kicking off with such bad news for the business I started watching this old GDC talk from Iwata last night. 

It’s nice to know they’re not all bad. Interesting how he talks about the same problems that have gone in to overdrive today. Games cost too much, got too big, risk averse developers, why do people not make new genres, and a nice note that all the most successful and beloved video games originated in video games and not from other entertainment mediums