passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest XI

DANGERMAN

I don’t think there’s any spoilers, there, so that’s fine.

4 months, lots of weekends, and a 170 hours and I have finally finished the game. Holy shit. That was a saga. And I loved it. I realised why I like this game so much after all this time not sure why I was playing it: It’s because it’s the closest thing to the Final Fantasy games that I like. I don’t think it’s as good as the FF games that I like but that series has gone so far off the fucking rails that I don’t even look at them anymore. I have a copy of FF15 since day one and still never played it because if I’m being honest I really not got no time for any FF with fucking cars in it. 

Even if DQ is super unexciting it’s still closer to the type of JRPG that I like and understand. Maybe I’m an old man, I dunno. 

Still, even if definitely not the best game of 2018 absolutely one of my favourites. I can’t remember the last time I played a JRPG like that. But it was great to do so.

Anyway I just couldn’t escape the game deathless. Level 99 pretty much the best gear in the game and the last boss still killed me on my first attempt. Muthafuka. But I beat him second time somewhat handily.

Ahhh, sigh. I don’t know what to do with myself now.

I'm going to buy this on the PSN sals I think. Some of the lukewarm takes on the other pages put me off a bit and the music is a big problem for me as someone who attaches memories of JRPG playthrough to their soundtrack. But I'm still just fucked up enough rn that I need some sort of time-sinky games and FFXIV don't cut it no more.

I played a bit of this. I enjoyed it, but I had to turn the music down to 4 because the midi was so piercing it overwhelmed the dialogue.

I might just play the whole game with podcasts and custom soundtracks, it's just hard to listen to. But the mechanics are fine. Very classic. Unfortunately that also includes the save system

I picked no xp for easy fights and tougher enemies cause I'd heard the early game is mindless without it. I'll probably turn those off once the grind kicks in.

I have to say I've had zero problems with the MIDI soundtrack. I think the music is overall very good it's just that a few songs are repeated too much and I wish there were specific themes for each town/city you come across. It's nothing on the level of XC2 that's for sure but it's still very good.

I have never listened to the Orchestral soundtrack though (got the 2-disc CD with my Collector's Edition) because I don't want to know how much 'better' it sounds really, ignorance is bliss :lol: 

But yeah, I'd implore anyone to give the soundtrack a proper go before pieing it off, it is way better than I was expecting and the MIDI hasn't been an issue for me at all.

From what I heard of the orchestral it's not even just the midi it's that the arrangements aren't inherently that interesting. The guy who does the music is way over the hill.

For me mostly I can't be ignorant cause I already played VIII on PS2. VIII had a lovely soundtrack, but only on PS2 and only in EU and US Territories. After that the composer started getting litigious and stopped Square putting that version of his music in the game's, especially if they released outside Japan. Cause he's a cunt.

But I'd recommend VIII still to people like maf who might be jonesing for more after XI. It's a bit more of an open world and it doesn't seem like it loses much complexity compared with this (but I'm too early on to really judge).

I liked the music in this game. Not saying it is the best this year or anything, neither do I think it is the best versions of these tracks. But it’s just nice and jolly. It goes with the old school sound FX as well. 

I think my next game will be DQ5. But we’ll see if I even get to another one. The back log is real.

Nobody listens to you about anything though.

Anyway everyone knows what to expect from a Dragon Quest game. There's never any surprises in store really, unless it's that one which is an MMO. I'd be lying if I said I was in love with this but its exactly what I expected it to be and that's fine.

I just wish the music was better, it's the only thing I have which is a major criticism really. I like the classic feel. I love that they keep the same icons and character model designs from older games. I like that the spells have names like kablam and boom and zap.

My decision to play with strong monsters has made progress quite slow tho. There's major pushback from generic enemies. I'll probably turn it off if it gets too much.

Anyway this is a gen defined by its horseshit tech it feels like and its good to see DQ is not shying from the competition

DvqtBarXgAEghyY?format=jpg&name=large

DvqtLHxWwAAerOi?format=jpg&name=large

On 09/09/2018 at 20:32, DANGERMAN said:

@Jimbo Xiii the joys of typing on a phone

While receiving a blow job off a man wearing a large man wearing a horned gimp mask?:lol:

Edit: It's weird how sometimes I click on the newest reply to a given thread and it sends me to a random page instead???

24 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Motivation for when I get better and can exercise again

Dvso_-NXcAAhU9X.jpg:large

Look at those delts ?

Clearly, from that eye contact, Dwarf likes his men beefy. :lol:

I go in for my daily puff puff and these guys look at me like I just skinned their grandma and ate her.

Dv_qszCW0AMVgVq.jpg:large

I am enjoying this but it's not something I can sit in front of for long and look at without some other distraction. I've gotten to the point now where even "harder monsters" isn't really that hard.