passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears 5

DisturbedSwan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are they offering some sort of DLSS on xbox.

DLSS is nice but I think it will be better for TV users than PC. On a PC monitor I notice lots of noise with DLSS, like surfaces are being invaded by tiny bees. Maybe from far away the effect is less noticeable

Native 4K is a huge waste of resources tho. If the choice is between RT at 1440/1080 or native 4K give me the shiny dynamic reflections and better shadows

Yeah, even on the standard system this looked really good, with the occasional pixelated wallpaper in the open areas ruining the illusion a bit. If it wasn't for The Last of Us II this would have been the most impressive game of this gen from a technical standpoint.

34 minutes ago, Nag said:

Why do you worry so much about how it runs on the Series S?... it's not like you're buying one.

I don’t worry. I just don’t think the XSS is a great deal in pretty much any way, and a next-gen console running a last-gen game in 720p in 2020 is pretty bonkers to me. It’s a half-step console that doesn’t quite suit anybody and comes with a ton of caveats. It’s like the Stadia of Xbox. 

Folks are free to spend their cash however they like. I’m free to say I dislike something or am concerned about the performance or something however I like ?

It says the dynamic resolution is bound between 720p and 1440, which doesn't mean it will sit on 720 for all that often (if at all).

If it's a problem you could always play it at 30, which is fine for a game like this.

This sort of sounds like they threw the PC version on Xbox and turned all the settings up and the dynamic resolution setting on and called it a day.

At this point with how fragmented game consoles are becoming I'm coming around to the idea they should straight up just put the PC graphics menu in the game and let players deal with it themselves. PC ultra settings are massive diminishing returns, you'd be surprised at how little difference there often is between high and ultra and in some cases medium, besides the impact to framerate

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

It’s a half-step console that doesn’t quite suit anybody and comes with a ton of caveats.

You have to free yourself of the idea that everyone wants the same things from a console as you.

My youngest kid wants one of these for Christmas, and on it he will play FIFA and call of duty. And only those games.

I want a cheap route into game pass, and may upgrade if I like what I see. But only when my 1080p telly goes tits up, and probably not even then. To be honest I had no plans to buy a next gen machine until I learned about gamepass and Microsoft's studio gathering spree, and, if I'm honest, will most likely end the next generation with all 3 consoles under my telly (although I might have to build onto the side of my house to comfortably house the PS5.

Just to preempt such teary eyed complaints, us XSSers couldn't give a flying fuck about that, in fact, we earnestly hope it does hold back game development so we get more years with our cheapo box before we have to upgrade.

We're cunts, to be honest.?

I don't think questioning the existence of a less powerful system is some console wars stuff.

I mean, okay, in Blakey's case it probably is, but I've openly preferred playing on Xbox for the last 15 years or so but I don't approve of Series S either. Imagine if Fable or Ninja Gaiden had to run on Dreamcast as well. That's where we're going with this. It's an unnecessary limiting factor.

But I'm repeating myself and can't change it anyway so let's where this goes.

11 hours ago, bellow said:

You have to free yourself of the idea that everyone wants the same things from a console as you.

My youngest kid wants one of these for Christmas, and on it he will play FIFA and call of duty. And only those games.

I want a cheap route into game pass, and may upgrade if I like what I see. But only when my 1080p telly goes tits up, and probably not even then. To be honest I had no plans to buy a next gen machine until I learned about gamepass and Microsoft's studio gathering spree, and, if I'm honest, will most likely end the next generation with all 3 consoles under my telly (although I might have to build onto the side of my house to comfortably house the PS5.

I didn't say everyone did, I'm just giving my thoughts and it's my view that a next-gen upgrade should be a big step up from the last generation not more of the same. 

I'm not criticising your choice to get one at all and not having a personal dig at you for choosing to buy one. I'm just relaying my concerns in the appropriate thread (maybe not actually, I should've put this in the Microsoft thread I suppose). 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

Can I just point everyone to the red bar at the top of the site 

This really gets on my tits to be honest. I know I don't help myself with having a clear favourite amongst the console manufacturers, but I'm not saying negative things about the XSS due to some stupid console war bullshit. I'm relaying my concerns about it purely because I have concerns about it, that's literally it. I think the XSX will be a fantastic console, it just needs to software to go with it, the XSS I'm still to be convinced about. 

51 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Imagine if Fable or Ninja Gaiden had to run on Dreamcast as well. That's where we're going with this. It's an unnecessary limiting factor.

Hit the nail on the head here. 

I'll leave it there though, can't say anything negative about any Xboxes as I'll be 'console warring' :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

That's where we're going with this. It's an unnecessary limiting factor

You'd have to explain how scaling doesn't take care of this. I mean, there's scaling going on even within a console. Presumably the S had no effect on the development of Demon's Souls, and yet there are several ways to play this game, all of which had to be worked on by the Devs. If you want the best graphics on DS it's 30fps, and that's without ray tracing. 

As you say, time will tell. I do think that what seemed to be being promised for the next generation - 4k, 60fps with ray tracing - will very rarely be delivered, especially in the early years.

3 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

This really gets on my tits to be honest. I know I don't help myself with having a clear favourite amongst the console manufacturers, but I'm not saying negative things about the XSS due to some stupid console war bullshit.

I agree with this. It's an interesting and rather fun debate. I, however, like Blakey, will fall silent if the powers that be don't like it.