passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Wow, what another amazing WandaVision episode. 

All spoilers:

Spoiler

I really effecting episode, that scene with Vision and Wanda on the bed was just phenomenal, almost teared up so many times, could really feel Wanda’s loss and the episode conveyed that perfectly. 

The scene in Sokovia with Wanda as a kid showing where her fascination with SitComs comes from and then showing the whole cause of The Hex was her all along. She didn’t steal Vision either like Hayward made out but he did manipulate her.

Then the ending, holy fucking shit. Agatha saying the line and outright calling her Scarlet Witch for the first fucking time in the MCU! And then we see Hayward has rebuilt vision into White Vision in the post credits scene, holy fucking shit!

Next Friday cannot come quickly enough.

I think in Wanda’s case 

Spoiler

They need her to earn that title, in all MCU films prior to WandaVision she was kind of a nomad, she was in a foreign country, lost her brother, lost her parents and recently lost Vision. It takes all this grief to boil out and Agatha’s appearance for her to realise she’s more powerful than she imagined, she’s Scarlet fucking Witch y’know, she’s been through some shit and she’s earnt it. 

From what i understand in this case, they've never been able to use her codename (or whatever you want to call it before) as it was tied to the Fox X-Men mutant rights? Was quicksilver called quicksilver in Ultron? I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Obviously now they are all in the same mouse hole, it's no longer an issue.

55 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

From what i understand in this case, they've never been able to use her codename (or whatever you want to call it before) as it was tied to the Fox X-Men mutant rights? Was quicksilver called quicksilver in Ultron? I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Obviously now they are all in the same mouse hole, it's no longer an issue.

Yeah it might be as simple as that. Quicksilver MCU was just called ‘Pietro’ as far as I know.

Best line in the last episode:

Spoiler

What is grief if not love persevering?

Fucking amazing writing and delivery by Bettany. Paul Bettany deserves an Emmy for this, has been phenomenal throughout. 

Just in general, not Wanda specifically. They always seem to have a reluctance to go 'full comic book' onscreen. Unless it is someone's actual name IE Hulk, Loki, Thor et al There is always a sense that a codename is a step too far. Yet Most of these characters had codenames because they had secret identities. 

16 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Fucking amazing writing and delivery by Bettany. Paul Bettany deserves an Emmy for this, has been phenomenal throughout. 

He's really good in most things anyway. Ironically I always remember him for the wrong thing though. As 'the guy from Hustle'. That isn't him at all.

Great finale overall to WandaVision, although perhaps due to my sky high expectations and hype I was a little disappointed with it. 

It just felt a little too convenient and safe at times, but overall I was satisfied with how they wrapped things up and set things up for Spidey: NWH and Doctor Strange 2.

Spoiler

Loved the Hex Vision v White Vision fight, was awesome seeing it descend into a theoretical debate at the end with Hex Vision unlocking the others’ memories. 

Absolutely loved the moment where you saw Wanda finally become the Scarlett Witch and her suit and veil eventually morphing on to her body, just such an awesome moment that gave me goosebumps. 

Really didn’t like the fake out with Fietro being ‘Ralph Bohner’ though, thought that was lame. Although I do feel a little better about it after reading that he could’ve been the one Jimmy is referring to as I’m Witness protection in one of the episodes, as Ralph Bohner definitely sounds like a made up name and one X-Men Quicksilver would choose. 

But yeah, the big fight at the end and how Wanda managed to successfully overcome her grief in the end, defeating and trapping Agatha in her Hex self and walking off into the sunset was just a little too predictable. I did love the scene with Hex Vision at the end where she has to say goodbye though. 

Two post credits scenes here. The first was basically the same as Spidey 2’s in that it shows a Skrull saying ‘he wants to meet you’ to Monica Rambeau then pointing up, presumably to the Sword base where Fury was seen in SM2’s post credits scene.

The second I actually missed and had to go back and watch. Shows SW able to use her astral body whilst still walking around in her physical body (something not even Doctor Strange can do), learning tons of spells and searching for possible a way to bring her kids and Hex Vision back to life.

6 hours ago, mfnick said:

Those end battle SFX though. I know a series will never get the budget of a film for that type of stuff, but yeesh they were bad. 

I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if they're ever going to do a series focused around one of the A-stars of the MCU, because that would be one hell of a budget for a show just for that person's salary. I mean, they kind of put the obligatory

Spoiler

Samuel L. Jackson scene at the end of Wandavision but it was via a no-name Krell mentioning him instead of him appearing in person, because that would possibly have doubled the episode's budget.

Speaking of, I think Wandavision kind of falls apart at the end.

Spoiler

The fact that they spent so much time with the sitcom setup trying to be something different (which I find commendable, even though it wasn't my cup of tea) means that when the show finally switches to a standard narrative without any fourth wall breaking during the last two episodes, it doesn't have enough time anymore to properly introduce some characters or character developments. Harkness is just a throwaway MCU villain, her only function being that she makes random people snap out of Wanda's spell so that the latter can do a last-minute 180. It feels extremely rushed and forced and considering how strongly Wanda was attached to her fake reality, it's also extremely unbelievable the woes of a couple of people she doesn't even know make her change her mind from one moment to the other.

It also was just so very safe in the end. Fake Vision dies, but the real Vision has his memories back, so it's all good. I would have loved to see Wanda snap and become a (temporary?) villain in the MCU, because not only is she now powerful enough for that to make sense, she's also fleshed out enough to make that a possible scenario. Too bad they went with two short CGI fights into pseudo Happy End, as always.

It also feels weird that they want to establish Rambeau as an Avenger going forward. That was probably one of the most boring characters I've ever seen in the entirety of the MCU and they didn't even know what to do with her in the couple of episode she was in here. 

Not particularly interested in both Falcon & WS and Loki, but I suppose I'll watch those as well as long as I have the subscription. I wish She-Hulk would come out this year as well, but I'll probably have to wait another year for that.

As mentioned in my previous post, I was disappointed in the finale too but not enough to affect my enjoyment of the series overall, there was still plenty of crazy cool moments in it and I didn't have any issues with the CGI, it has me super hyped for Doctor Strange 2.

For me, it is still an extraordinary TV show, it's a shame they didn't completely stick the landing and reverted to type (so to speak) in the last episode. But throughout its run it was still so different, out there, weird, strange, mysterious and gobsmacking in all the best ways. Out of all the episodes the finale was the worst I'd say but it still wasn't bad like the GoT finale or something, it was just a little too safe.

17 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Hide contents

Samuel L. Jackson scene at the end of Wandavision but it was via a no-name Krell mentioning him instead of him appearing in person, because that would possibly have doubled the episode's budget.

Spoiler

That's a good point actually, it's probably the same reason Doctor Strange didn't appear (when he pretty much should've done as Sorcerer Supreme) as they would've had to pay Ben Cumberbatch a lot of cash.

Super hyped for Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki, the latter looks more intriguing to me at the moment but I'm hyped for both. Then Ms Marvel and Hawkeye at the end of the year, can't wait, keep 'em coming Marvel.

• 2 weeks later...