passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars Battlefront 2

DisturbedSwan

2 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

Seeing as the game is boring to talk about, I hate avocados they’re disgusting. So slimy and gross. 

Delicious when combined with Turkey, Bacon, Cheese and a little hot sauce between two slices of crusty bread. Same can't be said for EA.

EA have done a Microsoft, complete 180. Micro-transactions completely removed.

They will be added back in at a later date but they'll be more FIFA and less Dungeon Keeper, no date given on when that'll be (next year sometime would be my guess).

Alright there, distributor of justice. I dont see buying a game that, from a gameplay point of view, seems to be quite good as some kind of reward. I was heavily put off by the pay to win stuff, but always wanted to play the game. I liked the last one, this seems to be a big improvement over that and I love Star Wars so it was always a case of not wanting to reward the presence of pay to win mechanics but wanting to play the game.

Rewarding the shit they pulled would be to have bought it/pre-ordered it when they were keeping the mechanics as they previously were. As it is there is a game that you can play and gradually earn all sorts of crap which I probably wont really play long enough to be bothered about. Its essentially the same thing that Battlefield 3 had as it currently stands and I dont really have a problem with that personally.

If the issue you have is with the fact that they certainly havnt done this altruistically, and their hand was forced then thats the gaming industry for you. From here on in, but to some extent its always been this way, publishers will try to get away with making as much money as they possibly can do, its not like they werent aware what they were doing was shitty or would be poorly received and then people complained and they were like oh wow people dont like this. Its also not really true that they are suddenly enlightened and wont find some other way of imposing it, but for now this game is micro-transaction free and perhaps im everything thats wrong with gaming but I always wanted to play this game just not with microtransactions in it. That being said, Ive happily played games with microtransactions in them before, and I think most people have, if I dont want to spend more money in game then I dont.

As far as I can tell though, the problem has always been (and despite the improvement changes since the beta, is still there) the time to unlock heroes. So now you’re gonna have an elite group of players that have paid money that have better gear than the poor bastards with nowt.

Also, stealing this comment from a Eurogamer commenter...

The microtransactions are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers...

Not touching that thing.

It's great there's been some push back, they were taking the piss here, but it'll come back in. It says as much. After the fuss has died down it'll raise its head again in a changed form and by then you've already bought it and passed its return date.

@Sambobultimately you're entitled   to buy what you like, don't listen to me. But if people 'forgive' at the drop of a hat then what's learnt is that you can get away with all sorts of shit, if you push things too far just apologise and all will be forgotten.

Microsoft have learnt a harsh lesson by the Xbox getting trounced, I don't think they'll try the drm stuff again next time, whereas if the Xbox One was matching the PS4, they probably would. The only mitigating factor with Star Wars is that Disney (unbelievably) stepped in because how it was making Star Wars look, otherwise nailed on all this shit will go back in exactly the same and will be in the sequel 

Its unlocking characters that you can use in different modes I think, as well as power ups for those characters and all characters, to be totally honest I dont actually know. The problem as I understand it is that EA loves microtransactions the most commonly locked away thing is cosmetics, they are generally agreed upon being sort of okay to have as microtransactions and have certainly done well by Overwatch. The problem they encountered is that Disney didnt want endless customisations for their highly protected and iconic universe. They dont want pink stormtroopers with a lizard tail running around, and I agree because it breaks the immersion. So this left EA in a situation where they then had to start finding things to have as microtransactions and the next best thing was power ups.

The whole thing has been gradually growing from game to game but as of today, the state the game is launching in is that there are no real money transactions. Its basically Overwatch but as well as purely cosmetic items you can get power ups, and they unlock very slowly at that, and thats still not really the ideal situation because through sheer luck some people will be at an advantage. From a gaming purity point of view this isnt good, anything locked behind paywalls isnt good, any changes made to a game to encourage spending really isnt good, its all a step away from where we want gaming to be. The problem really is that this is quickly becoming an industry wide standard.

@DANGERMAN they did push too far and there was immense backlash, at unprecedented levels for this particular problem, and they responded by taking out all microtransactions at the games launch. Its a historical event, its a turning point, there were some initial damage control measured and people werent happy, then there were some more and people still werent happy because what they wanted was no microtransactions and I dont think a single person really thought they would do what they have done and totally remove them. I said to myself last night that its such a shame that a great looking star wars game was being released with all this shit in and if only they would remove it I would be happy to buy the game, and lo and behold this morning thats what had happened.

5 minutes ago, Manicm said:

I think even the stores think this game will crash hard, we had 400 copies of FIFA almost 700 call of duty, battlefront 2 we had 7 copies that’s it!

Woah!!! if thats representative of the entire shop then that really is quite damning.

The whole thing is such a mess and I hope it doesn’t sell.

I have to feel sorry for DICE and the other developers who worked on the game as this kind of rubbish clearly came from EA higher ups. And if it doesn’t sell, EA could react by laying off those people who probably didn’t want that stuff in the first place.

I hear the story isn’t great and very short so I don’t think i’ll get this even in a very cheap sale.

What a fucking drag.

54 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The whole thing is such a mess and I hope it doesn’t sell.

I have to feel sorry for DICE and the other developers who worked on the game as this kind of rubbish clearly came from EA higher ups. And if it doesn’t sell, EA could react by laying off those people who probably didn’t want that stuff in the first place.

I hear the story isn’t great and very short so I don’t think i’ll get this even in a very cheap sale.

What a fucking drag.

Exactly. I think I said it elsewhere I don't blame the developers. My best mate is a developer and he's been through some shit. So I tend to be quite mindful of that. Developers don't go into education thinking "I want to be a game developer so I can develop insidious means of squeezing cash out of fools". That's the higher ups thinking and if your at a studio at the whim of one of these publishers, there's not much you can do about it.

To put it in a themed analogy

Emperor Palpatine = Shareholders

Darth Vader = Publishers

Storm Troopers (?)= Developers

Rebel Alliance = Gaming Public

Oh it's 100% the gambling thing, and that's why this sort of thing won't be so prevalent in games in the future because governments and governing bodies are starting to catch wind of it now and things will have to change. 

You know those TV shows with hoarders? The ones that can't let anything go. They'll get told to tidy up, but all they do it move the shit from one side of the room to the other. This is that, but with microtransactions.

You only have to look at how much they've deceived people over this whole thing. People were concerned when the beta arrived. They took it back a bit and people were still concerned. Then you had the community managers brazenly taking shots at people showing concerns. We've been lied to, they did the whole sleight of hand thing hoping to quench the anger directed at them and were found out. They pulled the PR AMA thing and gave us standard company men answers. They designed a game that has lootcrates so integral to actually playing the game that unfucking it is going to be next to impossible. This isn't Overwatch. This isn't even Battlefield. This is a game where your progress is railroaded by how many crates you can get. That's awful design.

People will rally round and say they can't do the aesthetic thing, and yeah, maybe they're right. But you can't justify that the cards won't fuck the game up on a base level for immersion as well. Like the whole Boba Fett thing, how are you to know if he has the bronze, silver or even gold card equipped? Not knowing if a guy is essentially in god mode until they've killed me so I can see if it's even worth bothering to shot the guy is shite design. In PvP games there has to be some sort of ruleset the game adheres to. Moving those goalposts is just as immersion breaking as having Vader run about in a Hello Kitty get up. Also if you are a purist you're going to get all upset that Darth Maul can fight Rey, because that's a thing.

This whole "We're removing microtransactions for now" is how they entice you in to the web. Nothing will truly change. In a few weeks time when they think the fires have died down enough they'll be back in and just be as integral to how they are now. EA are liars and they're wanting to take you, or rather your wallet, for a wild ride

In short, fuck this game. A night of passion isn't worth lumbering yourself with AIDS. Bad AIDS. E-Aids