passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

I quite like all the lead characters, and I'd watch more things with them in, it's a shame they are stuck in some not very good / coherent films.

Still, Mandalorian was amazing. Easily the best thing Disney have made since buying Star Wars and exactly the direction I want them to take with it. I'm tempted to give Rebels a go as well.

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

What Disney should’ve done is hire Lucas to map out the ideas of where the trilogy should go, but have a bunch of “no” men to edit down his nonesense.

Alternatively, they should have just adapted the Thrawn Trilogy, as a SW friend of mine lamented. Star Wars media went far beyond the stories of the films decades ago. The mistake Disney made was in thinking they knew better.

I really don’t think it’s a problem with the direction of where the plot exists, it’s more a problem with how the story is told. You had one film set out the new characters and story, next film does all it can to switch expectations, then the final film scrambles to undo the previous film and cram in as much as it can to race towards the finish.

It could’ve been a completely different story but it wouldn’t have made a difference if it wasn’t planned out well enough.

All it needed was someone competent at the top with a good vision to map out the trilogy properly and tell a good story.

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Don't you dis Lost, don't you dare!?

I adore Lost. One of my favourite shows (with two of my favourite TV characters ever) BUT, no one in the world would say it had a clear and consistent narrative from beginning to end. Hell, you still get some weirdos that think Season 6 implied they were in Limbo the entire time and not just from post-Season 5....

• 2 weeks later...

Taika Waititi approached to develop Star Wars film

After Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the space fantasy franchise is going on a pause, in terms of theatrical movies. But that does not mean the process has ground to a halt.

Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

• 5 weeks later...

Short clip about the technical production of Mandalorian:

For those unable to watch it: instead of putting the actors in a greenscreen and adding backdrops and such during post-production, they basically have a set in room where they can project certain images on the wall in 360°. So they're basically already seeing during filming what we're going to see on TV later on. They've also decided not to use pre-rendered backdrops but instead went and used Unreal Engine to use real-time rendering, which allowed them to switch backgrounds on the fly if it was needed.

I think this might be game changer. They basically combined the flexibility of CGI rendering with the lower costs of real sets. Kubrick already toyed with this when he was doing 2001 but with modern technology this might be the way forward for a lot of TV productions.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I put Rise of Skywalker on the other day. It’s terrible isn’t it. I had 20 minutes to go after coming back from a walk but couldn’t bring myself to press play. It felt like 100 fan made shorts rather than one cohesive fun adventure. 

15 hours ago, mmmark said:

Oh I put Rise of Skywalker on the other day. It’s terrible isn’t it. I had 20 minutes to go after coming back from a walk but couldn’t bring myself to press play. It felt like 100 fan made shorts rather than one cohesive fun adventure. 

I enjoyed it but it's fair to say it's a complete mess of a film.

Give The Mandalorian a go though, fucking fantastic that.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been watching while new season of The Clone Wars?

The first 4 episodes were fun, but could have been 2 episodes easily.

The 4 after that were absolute trash with two of the worst characters to grace Star Wars since Jar Jar Binks and Zero the Hutt.

But the last 2 were absolutely incredible and some of the best storytelling in Star Wars in years. I can't wait for the next episode now.

So all in all a real mixed bag, but the trash is worth sitting through to get to the gold.