passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 5: Guardians

DANGERMAN

Funniest interview ever.

343 Industries has said it "simply wasn't practical" to ship Halo: The Master Chief Collection on two discs, following fan complaints about the game's 20GB day one download.

Halo franchise development director Frank O'Connor has said that the game was "designed to run as a single, unified product", something that switching discs would have interrupted.

"Digital is seamless obviously, but we also wanted disc users to have the same experience, without swapping discs," he wrote in a post on NeoGAF.

"Since the bulk of it [the content update] is MP or MP related, the logic is sound. There will also be a title update in there, but that in itself is a tiny fraction of the content.

"We realise that this isn't ideal for everyone, but it's the path to the smoothest eventual experience."

You will be able to play the game's single-player campaigns while the 20GB content update is installing, 343 has previously said.

The content update will also be available to download ahead of time if you pre-order and pre-download the game.

In another post, O'Connor admitted that two discs may be a solution to a different product released at a different time - but that requiring the download was the most straight-forward solution for the Collection.

"Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline," O'Connor wrote. "The Xbox One platform continues to improve and mature, arguably faster and more meaningfully than others and maybe next year two discs or some other method would have been the right approach, but this year it's the option we have available that on balance, makes the most sense for this giant, ambitious project.

"Do I understand the inconvenience and annoyance for some users? Of course. I'm not going to blow smoke or ignore it. For some folks it will be straight up annoying and I both apologise unreservedly for the irritance, and hope that the package and the way it works more than makes up for it.

"I've been playing the whole enchilada for a week now and the ability to sample, jump from aspect to aspect, customise with skulls and playlists has been absolutely addictive and mesmerising.

"I think I would have enjoyed a box set with the same fidelity, but the way it all connects has for me at least, made it more than the sum of its parts.

"I personally have pretty lame internet and I am doing everything via Wi-Fi," he concluded, "but my installation and immediate play were all pretty buttery."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-20-two-discs-wasnt-practical-for-halo-master-chief-collection

"This year in this timeline". :lol:

Destiny had the same thing but you couldn't play the single player whilst you were waiting so its a step up on that, although a considerably bigger patch. At least this isnt dropped on last second though, pre install must be the way to go.

I don't know if it's been posted further back in the thread, although I don't think it has. Gaining certain achievements in MCC will unlock armour permutations in Halo 5.

Master Chiefs armour - Earn the “Your Journey Begins” Achievement in MCC (Unlocks Helmet & Armor) You're going to unlock this if you get the game, it'll be one of the first achievements you get.
Master Chiefs armour covers in dents and scrapes - Earn the “Cairo Stations” Achievement in MCC (Unlocks Helmet & Armor) You need to finish the first level of Halo 2.
Some crazy helmeted thing that looks like it'll be Halo 5's Hayabusa armour - Earn the “Legend” Achievement in MCC (Unlocks Helmet & Armor) Complete all campaigns on Legendary.
Looks like a modified ODST get up - Watch the Halo: Nightfall Episode 1 Second Story (Unlocks Helmet) - Watch all 5 episodes of Halo: Nightfall (Unlocks Armor) Watch some videos or some shit. I don't know.

I was thinking about this last night after talking to Hendo about it (and accidently turning my XO on in the process...), I really hope they have the Halo 4 matchmaking in it after they sorted it out to skill rather than level. Those lone wolf playlists were pretty good as everyone in there was a nice close level of skill to one another. Plus it's really early in the consoles life cycle so it's going to have a fair share of players hopefully. All skill levels should be catered for, unlike Halo 4 which sort of fell apart as people migrated to other games.

I was thinking about Halo again, specifically when I went into Leeds to buy 2 on release. I was walking up to Albion Street and the bells rang to notify people that the 2 minute silence for Remembrance Day had begun. I kind of saw that time as an inconvenience, stood in Virgin Megastores doorway trying to warm myself through from the biting wind that often blows down that road when the weather is bad. I wanted to be in and out, I'd taken the days of work for this and I found it quite annoying that I was having to conform for the sake of respect of something that my age had kind of made me oblivious to.

I didn't think much more of it until I got home. I had the house to myself and I booted up the game and played it a bit, not far in before I got a text from one of my gamer friends who asked if I'd gotten a copy. I text him back and told him he could come up if he wanted to play. He text back saying he's grab some takeaway on his way over and said I'll prank you when I've collected the order so you can get the kettle on to make a brew. I go back to playing the game for however long it was before my phone rang again, just as it did I came to a part where you are looking out of a spaceship window where Earth is getting bombarded by Covenant plasma. I sit and think to myself "That's a lot of people dying there". I sit silently, making the connection between massive loss of life I'm witnessing on my screen in a fictional story and then thinking about the real world events stemming back to the World Wars right up to the conflicts I currently had childhood friends serving in. It was a moment of realisation and reflection on understanding mass loss that I'd never really thought of before.

It's kind of silly to think that a game can be a catalyst for serious thought and understanding why we do what we do ceremonially for certain things, but Halo 2's imagery coupled with the day it was released on and the worlds current events at the time really joined the dots.

I know, it's a weird gaming related memory and I find it kind of odd that exactly ten years to the date there's going to be people possibly doing the same thing I did back then. Apart from standing in Virgin Megastores doorway, of course. The days for that place are long gone. Also a friend won't show up bearing bacon sarnies and hash browns either, while complaining that his cup of tea isn't ready and waiting for him.

Gaming is amazing when you look back on stuff like this.

Looking back I think 2 was probably my couch co op/multiplayer swansong.

My uni friends and me played that game in the same room at least 5 nights a week for probably 6 months. I can't think of any game that had a better map roster (most of them new at the time) than Halo 2.

Halo 3 I remember getting at midnight.

Got home and decided to play for 'an hour' before going to bed...but played all night and remember being the most tired I have ever felt in my entire life at work the next day.

Halo 2 killed off my interest in multiplayer, I played it to death I got to halo 3 and I had had enough of multiplayer and tbh rarely go back. I did enjoy some gears with you guys but after the abuse from other gamers on xbox:live I just wasn't interested. Hopefully one day I will try cod multiplayer but not for a while....