passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Facebook Buys Oculus

HandsomeDead

Pretty sure the Consumer Oculus Rift better accommodates glasses wearers, found this article on the subject:

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-says-consumer-rift-has-ipd-adjustment-and-better-design-for-glasses/

I wear glasses myself too and have no worries about my glasses fitting or not.

Also, you don't need a £2000 PC for the Rift to function, you need a £550-£700 PC ;)

For me, the PS VR Headset is the one that appeals the least. Being a PC gamer that has a PC powerful enough to easily run a Rift or Vive, I worry how the hell the significantly less powerful PS4 is going to manage, its meant to have a separate processing box just for PS VR, but even so, I've no idea how well its going to run.

In other news...Oculus announced today that pre-orders start at 4pm GMT on January 6th! :D

Pretty sure the Consumer Oculus Rift better accommodates glasses wearers, found this article on the subject:

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-says-consumer-rift-has-ipd-adjustment-and-better-design-for-glasses/

I wear glasses myself too and have no worries about my glasses fitting or not.

Also, you don't need a £2000 PC for the Rift to function, you need a £550-£700 PC ;)

For me, the PS VR Headset is the one that appeals the least. Being a PC gamer that has a PC powerful enough to easily run a Rift or Vive, I worry how the hell the significantly less powerful PS4 is going to manage, its meant to have a separate processing box just for PS VR, but even so, I've no idea how well its going to run.

In other news...Oculus announced today that pre-orders start at 4pm GMT on January 6th! :D

£550-700

therein lies the rub.

I'm pretty sure my bog spec PC would *run* the occulus, but because there's not a massive amount of standardisation on PC, you're never guaranteed a solid experience, unless you drop the cash, so I'd hazard a guess that £700 is a conservative estimate, just for the PC.

I could buy a brand new PS4 and the VR headset for that.

I also think that having everything tied into one system will often lead to a little bit more of a straightforward experience

plugging something into my ps4, vs spending a day farting about with finding software, driver, and messing with settings and sliders.

granted, on the downside of having yourself tied into a system like the PSVR, you miss out on independent development of interesting gaming experiences, but meh.

like I say, all you lovely folk who are buying up these things now are paying for the cutting edge research so that us mere poor mortals are one step closer to living our lives as space-potatoes who never have to leave our chairs. :)

I really have a bad feeling that this isnt going to catch on for some reason. I want it to because the possibilities are huge for gaming alone, never mind the wider effects on day to day life. I think a year or even two years time is when you will be able to say whether this is going to be a thing or not.

The only VR demos I've tried were on an Occulus DK1, so were blurry and nausea inducing. They say the newer ones have overcome this, but I'd need to see for myself. Certainly wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds to find out if that's true.

I was under the impression that you'd need a beefy GPU to run the game at a smooth frame rate, as it's rendering the game twice. What games will a £550 PC run at 120fps?

The only VR demos I've tried were on an Occulus DK1, so were blurry and nausea inducing. They say the newer ones have overcome this, but I'd need to see for myself. Certainly wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds to find out if that's true.

I was under the impression that you'd need a beefy GPU to run the game at a smooth frame rate, as it's rendering the game twice. What games will a £550 PC run at 120fps?

frogger and solitaire...

Ok heres a question then, what price would people pay for this?

I have a mate who said he would pay the price of a console for it. Thinking about it, thats kind of crazy right? you would pay the price of a console for something that needs at least a console to run?

Occulus say you need a 970, which are about 200,maybe a bit more.

These are the recommended specs and prices:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater

Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

8GB+ RAM

Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

2x USB 3.0 ports

Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Not sure about what frame rates to expect with the above specs, I'm sure there are benchmarks out there if anyone wants to know anymore. Its also worth emphasising that the above are the recommended specs not the minimum so I would've thought Oculus would've recommended those specs only if they can maintain a decent VR frame rate.

A 970 GPU is £242 (Scan.co.uk), an i5 4590 is £155 (Scan), 8gb ram is £31.29 (amazon) and a copy of Windows is £75, which means the grand total is £503.29. Obviously this doesn't include a case, Mobo, PSU, HDD/SSD etc. That you'll need but its still not too high an entry point in PC terms and would cost as much as an Xbox one and ps4 combined, then you've got to buy a Rift on top of that, so the barrier for entry goes up even higher.

I think VR will be the next big thing, who knows if it will be a fad or not but considering Oculus have been developing the Rift since 2012 and people are still talking about it and are excited about the technology, that can only be a good sign to me.

I think the PS VR has the highest chance of success as its got the lowest barrier for entry than all of them and I'd be buying one if I didn't have my PC, but as I have got it it seems a bit silly for me to get a VR device attuned to a significantly less powerful console.

I'm excited though about the future of games a and the future of gaming, it's a fantastic time to be a gamer right now that's for sure!

Ok heres a question then, what price would people pay for this?

I have a mate who said he would pay the price of a console for it. Thinking about it, thats kind of crazy right? you would pay the price of a console for something that needs at least a console to run?

My budget it £350 including shipping, if its anymore than that I'll wait to see how much the Vive is and go from there.

It is expensive, and the price of a budget PC or console, but the tech inside is extremely advanced and Oculus/PlayStation/HTC will all be selling these devices at cost.

These are the recommended specs and prices:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater

Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

8GB+ RAM

Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

2x USB 3.0 ports

Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Not sure about what frame rates to expect with the above specs, I'm sure there are benchmarks out there if anyone wants to know anymore. Its also worth emphasising that the above are the recommended specs not the minimum so I would've thought Oculus would've recommended those specs only if they can maintain a decent VR frame rate.

A 970 GPU is £242 (Scan.co.uk), an i5 4590 is £155 (Scan), 8gb ram is £31.29 (amazon) and a copy of Windows is £75, which means the grand total is £503.29. Obviously this doesn't include a case, Mobo, PSU, HDD/SSD etc. That you'll need but its still not too high an entry point in PC terms and would cost as much as an Xbox one and ps4 combined, then you've got to buy a Rift on top of that, so the barrier for entry goes up even higher.

so like I say, £700 is a conservative estimate.

The kicker with PC stuff as well, is that you also need hardware to actually run the game you're playing. There's a tenancy with PC games to fall back onto the fact that PCs are (generally speaking) a lot more powerful than their console counterparts, so there's no need to go to the effort of optimising game engines, just bump up the minimum recommended spec.

Don't get me wrong, if you already have all this stuff, then Occulus and the vive are both options to consider, but the cost of an occulus for me, not already owning a power pc, is going to weigh in at over £1000.

For that reason, I just have no interest in considering buying one. Interested in the technology for sure, and like I think I've said before, I'm interested to see how this all pans out in a year or two.

It seems to me that you are going to be paying about £1000 to get Occulus (say you are starting from scratch) and then you arent even really going to be getting the best out of it, certainly not for very long at any rate as the minimum spec slowly cranks up.

This is the sort of thing that really should be on a standardised platform, in my opinion, and so I think the only viable option for me is the PS4 VR option, and then the problem is that you are still going to be paying a fair whack but feeling like you arent really getting the best experience out there.

What's the point in buying something that hurts your ability to eat M&M's and drink Lager while gaming?

This thing will never take off, mark my words.

well, I don't think this is comparable to 3d films (or 3d tvs at home for that matter), because it's much more of an interactive experience.

I think there are a lot more game-like experiences to be had that you can't do on a flat display, even if you ignore the 3d effects, and just have it as a flat display output that you control with your own head.

I'd like to play something like Forza with a headset. Imagine being and to glance left or right going into a corner to see if you can out-brake someone? further to that imagine blasting through a game like wipeout where the world is blasting past you at a million miles an hour.

Or battlefield, how great would it be strafing across the fight, and being able to look up and behind you to find out where that jet is trying to hide.

I wish I had the money because I do think that VR will be amazing. Hopefully it won't crash and burn because of the price and will get much cheaper but also still supported over time.

I hope the PlayStation one is more affordable.