passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

HandsomeDead

When I tried this on Wii U way back when I got about an hour into it before bailing. I started this up years later on my Switch expecting to have a great time but up until World 4 it has just been one of the dullest, by-the-numbers, boring and safe platformers I've played in some years. Just everything about it seemed to be created by committee, nothing innovative or ground-breaking, just yet another World-based Mario game. 

I struggled through the first 3 worlds - resisting the urge to give up and cut my losses - with only glimpses of that special Mario/Nintendo magic in some of the levels (Mario Kart level, Shadow level) and then I reached World 4 and things have started to improve significantly. I actually got my first game over last night! The levels have begun to show their teeth a bit and things have got a little more challenging, which is just what the doctor ordered after the painfully dull and ridiculously easy first 3 worlds. I will say that I absolutely love playing as Cat Mario.

I will say I've also had issues with the depth perception, camera and movement. Switching between characters or even being hit and becoming 'small' Mario throws me and I end up accidently jumping to my death instead of making an easy jump like I'd just done with full size Mario. Usually I'd play as Luigi (as he's just better) but I struggled even more controlling him - and Peach - than I did Mario so have just stuck with him ever since. Something about the movement and run speed just seem off to me, playing with a badly drifting left Joy-Con probably doesn't help the situation either.

So yeah, a bad start but the tide has started to turn, if the game carries on like this it could end up great in the end.

Pics:

Spoiler

2B82804D-FDD6-4A51-8124-15F8E6992DFB.jpegC6E2EB0C-B47F-4ABE-B236-7BDAF6173A87.jpeg665961E7-1EF7-4B85-B728-9261EE91F642.jpeg083AB152-7AB0-4542-9339-169FE7A33FB9.jpeg

141DD8D7-74B1-4640-9104-C11EB33E195E.jpeg

4329D618-9170-443A-877C-1B8D04DFE2EB.jpeg

DAEC3774-A571-4BDA-8E9F-92850949E77A.jpeg

Completed the main game. For the most part I enjoyed it. I didn’t think it was particularly great though. I’d say for at least 3/4 of the game it was way too easy and just boring because of that. But it also had some odd difficulty spikes. I could die 5+ times on one level then complete the following 6 levels without 1 death. Odd balance throughout.

Now I’ve started the extra world and the difficulty and actual enjoyment in the level design has jumped significantly. in fact the difficulty has jumped up a bit too much suddenly. But it’s definitely more interesting now and the levels themselves just have a bit more to them with more imagination too. Why weren’t some of these levels introduced sooner and more gradually through out the experience? From what I’ve experienced they could have removed the middle few worlds and introduced the later levels sooner with these being the late game levels instead & I would have enjoyed it a lot more. 

So for the main game it’s a low 7/10.

But if the quality of these extra worlds continues I could see that score raising. Still shit how much mediocrity you have to play to get to the good stuff though.  

22C324B4-D640-4C85-A1CA-97833396CED9.jpeg

Bowers Fury finished. Incredible stand alone game in its own right. Sad it’s over but hopeful they’ll flesh this out for the next big outing. The ending was so fun. A few cat shines to mop up now..

Spoiler

Oh shit there’s loads to do after yay!!

B95A7189-D8F4-4CC3-89DA-FD5A543B1A27.jpeg

On 18/02/2021 at 22:32, mfnick said:

But if the quality of these extra worlds continues I could see that score raising.

So much for that.

Spoiler

World 9 was fantastic. World10 & 11 just remixes levels from old worlds with lower timers and/or more enemies and other gimmicks like being darker. Damn shame.

Heard 12 is at least more original again but tiny. Need all stars, flags and stamps to access it though.

Gone this far I guess... 

Had a great time playing this, up to a bit of cognitive disfunction when I got to Puffrod Peaks and the whole touch control bits (since I was using joypads mounted in the controller) and took me a while to even comprehend what the heck it was suggesting I do, never mind do it with any speed/ accuracy/ consistency. I guess it will come with practice.

Any idea how the amibos are suppose to work - I've got a couple of Mario & Zelda ones from a few years back, yet none triggered any effect when I held them while pressing L on the d-pad (I got the amibo thought bubble appear, but that was it)?

Finished this last night and moved onto the first bonus world. 

E6AE2FD8-A182-4853-994E-D25FA295206A.jpeg

Really enjoyed it overall but my enjoyment did wain a bit towards the end only to pick up again with the superb bonus world I’m on now. 

Had a lot of trouble with two of the stages in the 8th world, but wasn’t too bad aside from those. The one where you have to stay on a constantly moving rotating block was the one that made me tear my hair out. 

Still on track for the 100% but all depends how difficult the next 2/3 worlds are. 

Finished 100% - bar the last 4 stamps but fuck that. It really is a pointless exercise. 

Spoiler

CB6AAD21-1CE0-4BB0-BE49-6372A51386EA.jpeg

Stays at a 7/10 for me. The last level was fucking fantastic though. Shame there wasn’t more like that throughout the game - same as Odyssey. The true last level was the best part about that entire game too. 

Only really enjoyed 1 world near the end, the rest was decent enough but nothing special IMO. If I wasn’t so in the mood for a platformer at this time I wouldn’t have put anywhere near as much time into it as I did. 

• retroed changed the title to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury