passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Games that sold you a console

Hendo

Been thinking about this with a new generation coming up, and also finally buying a PS3.

So going way back, I wanted a C64 because my brother had one and I loved the games on it, no one game sold me on it really.

The Megadrive, however, was all about the original Sonic the Hedgehog which truly blew me away.

Once I'd experienced Mario 64 and Goldeneye, I knew I had to have an N64. I'm not sure one game sold me on the PS1, just the library in general, same with the PS2 I guess.

I think with the GameCube it was because it was a new Nintendo machine and also the new Rogue Squadron game excited me, although in the end the bonus game I got with it, Super Monkey Ball, was the real star of the launch.

I think with the Wii it was a combination of a new Nintendo machine, it being pretty unique and also Wii Sports that sold me on it. The only console launch I queued up at midnight for!

I think Mario Kart got me in on the DS, the PSP was just that it was a sexy piece of new tech.

The 360 was a special moment for me as it was the original Bioshock that sold me on it - the realisation hit me that I just wasn't going to get these impressive new games on the Wii and I had to upgrade. I got my 360 when Bioshock came out, same week as the PS3 launched, but Xbox Live was probably what drew me towards the 360 over the PS3.

Now finally I pick up a PS3 pretty much solely for The Last of Us. I had bought PS3 games before on a mate's system but his got stolen, otherwise I still probably wouldn't have bought one and just used his, or bought it off him.

This is a great thread Hendo.

Anyways my first console was the TG-16, my parents bought it as a gift for me around launch in the US. The reason I decided on TG-16 was games like Alien Crush and R-Type. I later got the handheld TurboExpress, so it could play my HuCards on the go. Fighting Street (or Street Fighter) is why I got an TG-CD add on for my TG-16. I later upgraded everything to the TurboDuo so I could play Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder which were on Super CD-ROM² disc which the TG-CD add-on could not play.

The guy who lived across the street from me when I was growing up had a 3DO day one I was hooked on Road Rash and I somehow talk my parents in to buying this over priced paper paperweight.

The reason I ended up getting a Jaguar was due to Rayman, Aliens vs Predator and Kasumi Ninja.

KI2 Gold and Conkers are the two games that sold me on the N64. It was basically a KI and Conkers machine as those where the only two games I owned for it.

I got a PlayStation because of CyberSled ..... I could play freaken CyberSled in my home!!! I also got DiscWorld with the console too. This was my first taste of Terry Pratchett's work.

When I bought a PS2 it was in mid-cycle and the reason I bought it was for the Namco games that used the GunCon peripheral. This is the first console I bought with my own money. They just closed down the Time Out arcade in the mall and I wanted to still play Point Blank, Time Crisis and Vampire Night, so I bought a PS2.

I bought the Xbox for Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

Custom Robo, Chibi Robo and the Monkey Ball games are the reason I ended up buying a Gamecube.

I bought the Nintendo DS for Bomberman Land, Atlus games and NIS America games.

I bought a PlayStation 3 so I could play NIS America and Atlus games.

I bought a Xbox 360 for CAVE Ltd and G.Rev shmups. I do miss my 360 a lot.

PS1 - Destruction Derby 2

GBC - Pokemon Yellow

GBA - Advance Wars

NGC - Super Monkey Ball and Smash Bros.

Xbox - PGR and JSRF

NDS - Mario 64DS

PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4

3DS - Pilotwings Resort

I won both my PSP and 360 so have not included them in the list.

Master System - My next door neighbour had one, although I can't remember what we used to play on it. I'm sure something that I saw must have impressed me though

SNES - I'd seen footage from Super Mario World on Games Master and thought it looks like the most amazing thing in the world, I'd also seen clips of a side scrolling shooter/platform on the news that was rotting kids minds and thought that looks awesome. I ended up getting it with Mario All Stars, which was great but I wouldn't get to own Mario World until the GBA

Gameboy - No games sold me as such, I just really really wanted one and on reflection it might be my favourite console

PlayStation - Seeing footage of Wipeout on Live & Kicking. I'd been saving up for a remote control car model kit (Mini Cooper) for ages, and spent it all on the PS1. I ended up getting it in the November, using Birthday money to get enough to buy it, but could only afford one game, Destruction Derby. I couldn't afford a memory card though.. I played the Wipeout demo to death, but never actually bought the game. I ended up getting Doom and Tekken for christmas which were both stunning at the time.

PS2 - I think the prospect of FFX really sold me on getting the console, however it was watching some one play Jak & Daxter that made me go and get one sooner. Not sure what it was about that game, but I really really liked it.

Gamecube - Monkey Ball & Zelda

DS - Mario Kart and dodgy R4 cards

360 - I can't really remember, a few of my friends had them but I hadn't been that impressed by anything that I had seen. I think it was seeing Oblivion that really sold me, turns out I hated Oblivion though.

PS3 - Uncharted and being bored of the 360 mainly.

Thinking abut this thread I've realised that I buy consoles quite often with no game in mind.

Before the PlayStation consoles were bought for me so I'll start there.

I can't remember why I wanted a PlayStation, I think it was just the cool thing to have, but I kind of want to say that maybe Tomb Raider 2 was involved somehow.

I got an N64 quite late on and I think Ocarina of Time may have been a deciding factor, but maybe it was just because of Nintendo games, generally.

I can't remember why I bought a Dreamcast. I just did one day.

I bought a GameCube 'cos Nintendo.

I bought an Xbox because of Halo 2 and PGR 2. This was when I left school and didn't have regular access to a couple of friends' Xbox's so I bought my own for those games as I played a lot of the prequels.

I bought a PlayStation 2 very late on for its library and Dragon Quest 8, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami.

I bought an Xbox 360 'cos it was new.

I bought a Wii 'cos Nintendo, and maybe spurred on a bit more for Twilight Princess.

I bought a PS3 for Yakuza, LittleBIGPlanet and God of War 3. The latter ending up being shite.

EDIT: I forgot handhelds.

Again, I can't remember why I wanted a GBA. I remember getting an FPS for it called Ecks Vs. Sever which I quite liked and me and a few friends nicknamed it Ex-Vicar. I don't think I got it for that, though.

I'm think I just got a DS 'cos it was new and Nintendo.

But I think I do this because I like discovering games. I kind of understand why people don't buy consoles until a game comes out they'll know they'll like but I don't think that's quite as fun as just diving in.

similar to DC I don't think I've ever bought a console for 1 game, usually it's because I've had more money than sense or the time has just felt right. The Wii for example, Wii Sports might have been the game that proved the console to me but it always looked interesting as a concept. After the Dreamcast was probably the only time I've properly thought about which console to buy, different Sega properties split across the 3 lesser consoles, but even then game wise the xbox had more games I wanted (Panzer Dragoon, Crazy taxi, Jet Set) and I picked the Gamecube

That all being said I'm tempted by a WiiU because Wonderful 101 is coming out, and I'm tempted by a Vita because of Tearaway, but the thing that's stopped me from going out and buying either so far is that there's still nothing else on them I want. The PS4 is the reverse slightly, money willing I'd probably get one at launch just to have the new thing after so long, same with the 3DS when I got that, there wasn't anything at launch I can think I wanted to play especially

i used to play super mario kart round a friends house, eventually got my own snes to play it for xmas or something - that was the best.

n64 for mario 64.

ps1/2 were bought mainly for GT2/4

asian ps2/360 for cave shooters.

ps3 partially for the last guardian - that worked out well.

wiiu mainly for pikmin (and other nintendo stuff) - at least it's actually coming out!

Prior to Dreamcast: consoles would just get bought if my brother and me saw a good deal and had enough money. I played most of my games on home computers, with occasional games on the Master System, and later the Megadrive.

I bought the Dreamcast because I had the time and money to get back into gaming again after university, but not enough money or space for a PC. I think it might have been Metropolis Street Racer and a couple of the stranger titles that appealed, but the one I bought came bundled with a dodgy Tomb Raider game.

I bought the Xbox for JSRF and PGR (and possibly Tiger Woods, because EA sports PC games weren't very good).

I got a Gamecube because it cost £80.

I didn't really buy a PS2 for any games in particular. I got it last out of that generation of consoles to play the more original or obscure games like Gregory Horror Show, Ico, SOTC, Frequency/Amplitude etc. And maybe a little bit in anticipation of Guitar Hero. It was fairly cheap at that time.

The 360 was bought in anticipation of Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead (which then got pushed back), but with the knowledge I could play games like PGR, The Darkness, Gears while waiting.

I bought a Wii because I had £120 of Virgin Megastore vouchers to spend.

The PS3 was bought because I sold a bunch of old games for £250, and fancied giving the Uncharted games and the Sly HD collection a go.

Looking at this great thread made me remember some of my old consoles. Most of my stuff was never bought at launch, but I did get certain consoles/computers for certain games. Of course, I never collected consoles, and sold most of this when it was still worth money. The chief stand-outs are these.

Commodore 64 was Test Drive, R-Type, and Ghostbusters.

Master System 1 was for Alex the Kid in Miracle World

Master System 2 for Sonic the Hedgehog. (The Master System version is different to the Megadrive version)

Genesis for Sonic the Hedgehog (My console was an import. I've still got it too.)

I picked up a SNES when it was released with Mario All Stars. Late to the party, but a great game to start with. I also fell in love with F-Zero.

The Amiga 500 had, in my opinion, the best version of Lemmings ever made.

Nintendo 64 for Goldeneye and Mario 64. I think I still have that too.

Sony Playstation for Gran Turismo 1 & 2

Gameboy Colour had loads, but Mahjong, Tetris, and Pokemon stand out.

And of course, my first IBM compatible PC for Doom. It was a 386 DX 16mhz with 2 meg of ram, and a 80 meg hard drive. Those specs still make me chuckle. My first computer hard drive isn't big enough for one high bitrate MP3 album.

Game Boy - Gargoyle's Quest

SNES - Street Fighter 2

NES - Super Mario Bros 3.

Mega Drive - Sonic 2

Master System - Wonder Boy

N64 - Super Mario 64

Playstation - Grand Theft Auto

Saturn - Guardian Heroes

Dreamcast - Power Stone

PS2 - Grand Theft Auto 3

Gamecube - Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Xbox - Grabbed By The Ghoulies