passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bioshock Infinite

Hendo

:o Looks amazing!

I started off with my laptop plugged into the TV but it looks noticeably better on the laptop so am playing with that on a chair in front of me, using the pad. I did a benchmark test beforehand and medium is the best option for me. Still looks great although there have been a bit of screen-tearing and stuff.

Anyway! I've arrived at Columbia and am really taking my time basking in everything around me. The main benefit of playing on a PC is that I'm taking screenshots like a motherfucker. Anyone who has me on Facebook, I've made an album with some of my favourite shots there.

It's early days, but it has set up the reason for you being there and the mindset of the people of Columbia. Very reminiscent of the original Bioshock with your arrival, picking up cash, etc.

Glorious. :)

The benchmark gave me an average of 80fps on Ultra, so I started with that. Wow, it's gorgeous. On the downside, it doesn't seem to give you a vsync option - Round the lighthouse I was getting around 120fps and it was tearing like fuck,so I've turned on the framerate lock.

It seems to control much smother with a controller, I played Bioshock 1 & 2 the 360 so I don't see myself having any issues there.

I like the voiced protagonist, and the entrance to Columbia is very Bioshock - even down to arriving in a sphere. :)

I spent the first 20-30 minutes walking around going 'Wow' a lot.

Still haven't got my PC copy yet so playing on the 360 for now. Even so, WOW. It looks incredible, can't wait to get into it properly at 19x10 with bells and whistles :)

Love the setup, there was some interesting dialogue between the couple on the boat going in, not to mention a few noticeably odd bits (floating city notwithstanding) whilst wandering around Columbia. There's just something a little, hmmm, off, with it all. This is why I love Bioshock so much. There's not many games that can weave a story as well as a 'Shock game does.

Excellent, excellent stuff so far :wub:

Got to the combat and first couple of powers. Oh my!

Using possession on someone and then when it runs out.....wow.

Pre-meeting Elizabeth spoiler....

Her listening to Tears For Fears and ripping open a tear into Paris showing "The Revenge of The Jedi". :) Nice touch!

Got to the combat and first couple of powers. Oh my!

Using possession on someone and then when it runs out.....wow.

Pre-meeting Elizabeth spoiler....

Her listening to Tears For Fears and ripping open a tear into Paris showing "The Revenge of The Jedi". :) Nice touch!

Re: first couple powers spoiler...

Have you bought the add-on that makes them commit suicide after the power runs out? Wow!

Just got just past the pre-Elizabeth bit you mentioned. Elizabeth moves around like Rapunzel in Disney's Tangled. Stunning.

Yeah the upgrade bit I was talking about, oh shit!

What choices have you done?

At the fair:

I threw the ball at the guy, spared the mixed race couple.

Gift for Elizabeth:

I went for Bird, seemed a better choice than Cage. That hasn't presented how that (if at all) it impacts anything just yet/

Attempting to get tickets to leave:

I tried insisting on the tickets but it ended with a knife in my wrist. :(

The downside to PC so far is that it has crashed on me about 4 or 5 times. Haven't lost much progress but it's not a good thing.

Also, yes, I've been looking at everything.

Off to "Paris", met Daisy.

Hall of Heroes choice:

I went against my instinct and I saved Slate. My instinct said that he wanted a soldier's death and Booker has always been a killing machine but I saved him anyway.

What combat choices are people making? I've been focussing on maxing out my shield and I seem to always favour using Possession.

Ive just done the beach part where you choose the gift for elizabeth. So far the game is stunning, I just wanted to keep walking around the first part when you get to columbia, pre the raffle. I can totally see what a lot of the reviews said regarding NPCs, I was very impressed with all of them and then you find Elizabeth and its another level which makes the NPCs from then on seem dull.

Going to try and get a lot played tonight and tomorrow.

Off to "Paris", met Daisy.

Hall of Heroes choice:

I went against my instinct and I saved Slate. My instinct said that he wanted a soldier's death and Booker has always been a killing machine but I saved him anyway.

What combat choices are people making? I've been focussing on maxing out my shield and I seem to always favour using Possession.

I went with your instinct, I've been splitting those pickups between shield and salt too, my next purchase is going to be the perk that makes possession use less salt.

Mainly I've been using the carbine and shotgun coupled with the crows and possession. I did pick up a hat that makes one of the other vigors have a chain effect, I don't have it equipped yet because the one I have on makes my invulnerable for a few seconds whenever I eat anything (so I can loot bodies midfight and, be invincible, kill, snack etc)

I do have a few issues with this so far, they're the same ones I had with the first game, but I'm going to get further before being too critical. Story wise it's not really done a lot for me yet, but it also does feel like it's barely started (just done the bit Hendo mentioned), but I did look up a date and found it was a real thing

This game is amazing, Ken has outdone himself this time. Quite a ways in now, about halfway maybe, and it just keeps getting better and better.

The story has been excellent up to now, setting up a lot of the backstory and lore about Comstock and the City. I have a few theories about where the story is actually going, but I can feel it getting ready to pull the rug out from under me. The couple you keep meeting have been my favourite characters, except for Elizabeth of course. They're always brilliant whenever you meet them and I love the way they constantly repeat sentences and change the inflection of certain words.

The skylines add an extra layer to the combat, I was very impressed with how they fit in. Zipping around, picking off dudes and opening up tears on the fly works really well and gives you a lot of options in a big scrap. Looking forward to more of those kind of fights.

Nothing to add but yes, brilliant. First time I went a sky rail thing was a gaming moment for me. I love this series of games.

I chose

the cage is it seemed the less obvious choice

and

I killed Slater against my normal good boy instinct, he fucking asked for it

I'm going to be a bit spoilery so I'll say that I've been to the factory and someone has cut their hair, if that means nothing to you then probably don't click the spoilers :lol:

I'm enjoying this, it's good, at points really good, the shooting is improved over the first game and the perks mean you can be a bit more aggressive in combat. However it's still the same linear level design as Bioshock was, if anything it spells it out even more.

The Hall of Heroes for example, it sends you left and right before you're called back, then when you get to the end of that section you have to go back to the bit you've already been. Each time you go back new enemies have wandered in out of nowhere. I almost wish it was just completely straight ahead just so you got something new every room, as it is it's predictable.

The weapon smith section for example, when you get there Elizabeth suggests you go and look around, however pretty much everywhere is blocked until you go and do the thing you were there for. I didn't straight away, I accidentally triggered the police and ended up killing everyone, then I went in to the theatre only to be turned away, told to come back later. So I went to the weapon smith, he wasn't there, his wife somehow appeared behind me, I talk to her, now all of a sudden the theatre is desperate for me to be there. After I'm done in the theatre one of the other routes that was closed to me is now open, obviously that means there's new enemies around before that. For a a game that's trying to be thematically progressive, and that has some really good new combat ideas, it's really archaic design

I wasn't exactly amazed when I had to kill Fitzroy either, it just felt like the first Bioshock where you go to an area and kill the 'boss' of that bit, especially after AC Slater

All that being said I do really like a lot of it, some of the combat is great :lol: I also really like that, while there still seems to be a bit to go, I've almost got all the vigors, almost maxed out my favourite weapon, maxed out a couple of vigors (with only money stopping me from doing a couple more). It feels like the game is going to let you open up and really take advantage of your abilities in combat, which is something I really like games to do

The downside to PC so far is that it has crashed on me about 4 or 5 times. Haven't lost much progress but it's not a good thing.

Also, yes, I've been looking at everything.

didn't see this bit before. I've not heard of it having a problem with crashing so I suspect it might be your laptop overheating. You've not had it long so it's probably not dust or anything, it's probably just the cpu/gpu getting too hot