passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Anyone else signing up for this PlayStation Stars thing?... I don't really get why I should be cared about digital collectibles to be fair and I'm pretty certain I'll never earn enough points to buy a game (you need to spend over £1700 at the current rate) but I've enabled it just out of curiosity.

Couldnt give a crap about it, ps3 era sony not knowing what its fans want. 

Goback to bolstering your ps premium catalouge sony its a shambles. 

Put some titles in and people may care about it. 

Better still enable that back compatability the ps5 is capable of as standard. 

15 hours ago, Nag said:

Anyone else signing up for this PlayStation Stars thing?... I don't really get why I should be cared about digital collectibles to be fair and I'm pretty certain I'll never earn enough points to buy a game (you need to spend over £1700 at the current rate) but I've enabled it just out of curiosity.

Yeah, signed up myself yesterday. For me it's pretty much the same as the rewards that pop up when I play a game on Game Pass, Stars is PS' version of that essentially.  I don't get the £1700 stuff, think it's overthinking things a bit there, it's just a little reward service you can engage with or not really.

Not gonna use it much (much like the Game Pass rewards stuff) but thought I might as well sign up.

14 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Couldn't give a crap about it, ps3 era sony not knowing what its fans want. 

Go back to bolstering your ps premium catalogue sony its a shambles. 

Put some titles in and people may care about it. 

Better still enable that back compatibility the ps5 is capable of as standard. 

Eh? This is most definitely not PS3 era Sony, as the console and games are actually great, back then, they weren't (at the beginning anyway), I'd argue it's one of the best first two years to a consoles life personally.

I don't really get this outrage at all, it's just a fun (maybe dumb) little rewards service to compete with Xbox/Game Pass rewards really, I really don't see why it's anything to get excited, irate or anything about really. Either sign up and forget about it or don't, I don't think it really matters either way.

They have just bolstered their PS Premium catalogue (new additions in PS+ thread), not sure if they'll be your cup of tea but some great additions in there for me (not that I'll get round to playing any of them). The service is only a few months old, so some patience will be required to build the library out, but they're off to a great start IMHO. 

And BC has been enabled from the start? Don't quite understand that final point.

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

think it's overthinking things a bit there

Why?... that's what I'd have to spend digitally on their store... in two years to the best of my knowledge.

If you can earn smaller denominations and use them in dribs and drabs then cool.🤷‍♂️

I don’t engage much with the Xbox rewards but I’ve started to bother collecting them as you can use them to donate £ to charity.

29 minutes ago, Nag said:

use them in dribs and drabs then cool

Can you not spend them for discounts off of games like you can on switch with gold coins? You have to wait to be able to buy a full priced game?

Because its sny not focussing on where criticsisms are being layed and focusing on ego projects. 

Ps3 may be a little harsh but they have been far from early ps4 era sony. 

And this is coming from a sony console gamer. 

Plus the reward to enable better customer service? Really? 

I like the content sony put out, but really feel under Jim Ryan thing have taken a bit of a turn. 

Still I guess share holders arent complaining, so its working from a business sense

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Why?... that's what I'd have to spend digitally on their store... in two years to the best of my knowledge.

If you can earn smaller denominations and use them in dribs and drabs then cool.🤷‍♂️

Because I don't think anyone really knows 100% how the whole system works yet and it's just a mostly forgettable rewards service. I don't really know much about it personally. 

Rewards systems are almost always a bit shit at giving you money off etc. I have to spend about £160 at Saino's before I get £5 off my shopping, a lot of them give you 1 point for £1 spent etc. so I'm not sure what PS is doing here is really out of the norm nor anything to really feel any way about, I'll mostly ignore it and I'd guess you'll probably do the same.

I guess I just don't get the anger or outrage, unless that is me misinterpreting the context as it's difficult to discern on here. I just don't see you getting mad at Xbox rewards for largely doing the same thing for years now? It sounds a bit to me like you've read one headline about it and come in here with a bee in your bonnet over something that you'll never likely engage with lol.

34 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Because its sny not focussing on where criticisms are being layed and focusing on ego projects. 

Ps3 may be a little harsh but they have been far from early ps4 era sony. 

And this is coming from a sony console gamer. 

Plus the reward to enable better customer service? Really? 

I like the content sony put out, but really feel under Jim Ryan thing have taken a bit of a turn. 

Still I guess share holders arent complaining, so its working from a business sense

What are the criticisms you'd like addressing? 

That's fair enough, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion and view. The whole customer service level rewards thing hasn't really been proven and just fuels the Sony hate machine on the internet really, I'm not saying it's not true but all I'm saying is does it really matter all that much if it is true? It's purely pandering to the hateful internet folks who like to rage about a different topic from week to week.

I agree with you that Jim Ryan has taken the company in a more business-focused direction, especially when 'Gamer Pal' Phil on the other side seems to speak to gamers so well and get them on his side. But there isn't really anything that has failed or gone badly aside from a few PR gafs or the small price increase that would warrant JR being sacked etc. 

The console is a roaring success, it's been sold out everywhere, the software line-up has been pretty amazing considering COVID and a console in its first 2 years of life. So I don't really think JR is doing too much wrong other than 'messaging' and PR which competitors are doing much better at this moment in time.

Sony needed a game pass competitor, it got it. It needed a rewards program to compete with Xbox, it got it. It needs amazing AAA games, it's got them. From my point of view there aren't too many criticisms I can level at PS at this time.

Everything else is shit so this being shit is ok is a very odd argument to make and not even a particularly accurate comparison I wouldn’t have thought.

@DisturbedSwan seems easily pleased and @Nag overly critical. 

I don’t know what I’m being as I’m not signed up to it not having a Sony console for almost a year.

It’ll all come out in the wash(?!?).

I'll tell you what I'm being overly critical about... I'm pretty certain the left trigger has gone in my Duelsense and it's not like the controller has been overly hammered in the time I've had it. I'll see for sure when God of War hits as that'll have haptic feedback for a guess.

Not sure how I feel about a DIY fix... it's good that it's an option though, certainly cheaper than replacing the controller at any rate. The trigger still works in any case it's just loads looser than the right one.

Spent a little time looking at the PlayStation stars thing on the PlayStation app, 5000 points can be redeemed for a £20 wallet top up and 1250 points for a £5.00 top up, these have a two year shelf life once redeemed. As of today there's only one way to earn actual points and that's by buying a selected games from the PS Store (from a list of 5, I think) which nets you 50 points a pop. I'm planning on buying a few games on PlayStation over the coming months, all of which I'll pre-order through the store, whether any of these will qualify to earn points is anyone's guess though.

I think this'll be one of those background things where if I earn points nice but I won't be altering my gaming habits in any way to try to maximise earning them... pretty much the same as Game Pass rewards which I earn generally just by playing games I'd be playing anyway.

Ramble over.🙃

I like it, I’m a sucker for ingame collectibles, so I’m enjoying going for what I can. 
I doubt I’ll ever afford to redeem a full game, but there’s some Ape Escape collectibles for 200 points, and I got 80 points for buying some Dead By Daylight content. So I’ll be able to pick up a few bits here and there.