passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

2 hours ago, Nag said:

In all honesty though I actually don't have too much of a problem with the cross gen thing

I'll just always think that they're holding the developers back in some shape or form. I know we live in a world where Witcher III runs on Switch, but what if they had planned this from the beginning and used Switch as the base platform? Would the game have turned out the way it did on the other systems anyway? I kind of doubt it.

But there's no changing it anyway, it just means it'll take quite a while until we see more games like Ratchet.

This pandemic has kind of forced their hand though. If they were to cut the cord on PS4, what do you expect the disparity to be between the userbase of each system?

I dunno, was March 2020 really early enough for them to completely reconsider the platforms they're developing their games on, particularly something like Horizon which might come out this year still? That would have been roughly a year of development time for a port for a significantly weaker system. It could be if they're really not re-inventing the wheel, which would explain why Ratchet stayed a PS5 exclusive, but I think most of these cross-platform releases have been planned way before Covid.

Not so much blame, but I think it contributed towards more cross play than was probably intended. That said, Sony does have a history of supporting previous gens perhaps too long.

Havent they said the PS5 is selling more than the PS4 in the same timespan even with the supply issues though? They were willing to put out PS4 only games during that time why not now? At this rate the PS4 and Xbox One will have had more exclusives in their first 6 months than the PS5 and XSX will get in their first 2 years. 

Allegedly the decision to cross gens with GT7 was a recent one 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/opinion/forget-business-sense-sonys-cross-gen-u-turn-is-disappointing-for-ps5s-potential/

Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently.

Allegedly, not confirmed. But I agree with Och it does seem to me that they looked at the supply crisis and made a pivot.

This all makes me think the supply crisis could last years yet (or far into 2022 anyway), which might be why they're looking at it like this even if the ps5 is supposed to have sold more than ps4 so far or whatever

Naughty Dog Job Ad: Naughty Dog seeks to bring studio's trademark ambition and quality to its newest adventure, a standalone multiplayer project

Credit to Kostacurtas on ResetEra for finding this info.

LEVEL / ENVIRONMENT DESIGNER (MULTIPLAYER)

Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.

Our level design process is based around giving the designer the maximum amount of control and flexibility over the design of the space: rather than assembling prefabs, our level designers model directly in 3D. If you're someone who can create realistic spaces with strong identity and compelling gameplay, we would love to talk to you!

GAMEPLAY SCRIPTER (MULTIPLAYER - TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT)

Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.

Our powerful scripting language is foundational both to our trademark polish as well as the rapid prototyping of new systems and mechanics. If you know how to get impressive results from a game engine quickly and are excited join an innovative multiplayer team, we’d love to talk to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Sony CEO Yoshida - Company to achieve sales of more than 22.6 million PS5 units per year making it the largest ever in history of PS

The venue of Sony Group's general meeting of shareholders in Minato Ward, Tokyo on June 22.

On the morning of June 22, the Sony Group held a general meeting of shareholders in Tokyo. Mr. Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation, stressed that the company would accelerate the supply of PlayStation (PS) 5 in the next fiscal year to achieve sales of more than 22.6 million units per year, the largest ever in the history of PS. Against the backdrop of "nest egg" demand, the company aims to break the sales record of the original PS in fiscal 1998.

lbJrvcal.jpg

Credit to ResetEra users Toriko and Jarod McChicken

Looking at the numbers of PS5s on adverts.ie after the recent gamestop drop it looks like at least some of that unprecedented demand is scalpers.

At this point I've accepted if I want a PS5 I will wait until either 2023 or buy off a scalper. Thankfully the lack of interesting games makes the latter fairly easy to resist for now. But actually trying to catch these things on websites before the scalpers get them means I have to distract myself for far too long and chase bots on twitter. So buying one the 'correct' way just isn't an option

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Looking at the numbers of PS5s on adverts.ie after the recent gamestop drop it looks like at least some of that unprecedented demand is scalpers.

At this point I've accepted if I want a PS5 I will wait until either 2023 or buy off a scalper.

Some may be scalpers, I think PS5 is just a really popular product right now is all. Helped by the pandemic and strength of the PS4 around the world last gen.

I think 2023 is overkill, you should be able to get one from a retailer by the end of this year without too much trouble, 2022 there should be plenty of them hopefully. I think you would be able to get one now if you setup a stockinformer type thing, you seem quite savvy with that kind of thing. 

If you want me to keep an eye out for you online and ship you one to Ireland it’s quite easy for me as I have access to the business DPD account at work. 

I've set that thing up before, but the websites in Ireland that sell them will ip ban you after a while. But the main point i was making is its too distracting, I cant work and pay focus on something like a bot/script all the time like that, I have to compartmentalise work stuff from that kind of stuff

2023 is the sort of timescale industry ppl are looking at now wrt return to normal

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/23/22547826/chip-shortage-cars-playstation-5-gpus-semiconductors-time-foundaries-tsmc

Ty for that also but I dont need to get one yet anyway, I'm just waiting for now until impulse buying is possible, not a panic fueled FOMO buy

I wonder if we'll have this situation with any popular new hardware in the future. I imagine that Switch revision will be impossible to get as well whenever that launches.

But at the end of the day people should just stop buying from scalpers. Imagine sitting on 50 PS5s and nobody buying them off you, I expect you'd stop with that BS pretty quickly after that.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

But at the end of the day people should just stop buying from scalpers. Imagine sitting on 50 PS5s and nobody buying them off you, I expect you'd stop with that BS pretty quickly after that.

People will do it cause of kids birthdays and Christmas and stuff, its very lucrative and a captive audience. Looks good on a kpi tho

20 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It is a reason to do it if the supply crisis is going to mean 18 more months of shortages. Hard to be telling a kid to wait that long

Dunno, sounds like a good life lesson to me.