passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

47 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I think Sony are trying to keep the appearance of being like a video game version of HBO or something.

I’d say that HBO comparison is accurate. 

As for the TLOU remake, a bit soon but I’d still play the fuck out of it.

We heard similar doom and gloom around Sony and its studios in 2013/2014 when they cancelled a new SSM IP and shuttered Evolution, I don’t think there’s much to be worried about from my perspective, they’ve earnt my trust at this point.

It won't kill Sony, on the contrary, since it's basically a cost-cutting exercise. But it will make them less attractive. Nintendo is currently dong the same thing and focusing on a couple of strong IPs while neglecting a lot of interesting, but less successful ones in the process. It makes for very boring or safe first-party lineups. 

I like this take 

Drakengard 3, now that's a cool Sony exclusive. It could probably even be a functional game on modern systems. You mightn't even see the individual frames. I'm not memeing btw I think it's a genuinely cool game that just got fucked by bad framerate.

Just had a read of it and if that's their stance then I am sort of glad I'm not a PS consumer anymore.

I couldn't give a shit for TLoU and I care even less for Uncharted. I want to play Days Gone at some point.

I think my main worry is they're just going to end up homogenising their output. I'm not really down for everything being the same game with different licks of paint.

I honestly couldn't tell if deep down Drakengard 3 was a good game or not. I don't think that game ever reached an FPS number of 20 or higher. Maybe in the cutscenes, but even then I'm not sure. It's comparable to the worst kind of performance drop you might have experienced in Mass Effect 1, but all the time instead of just during frantic action scenes.

It had a rather witty script and interesting atmosphere. And supposedly a total bollocks, rhythm-based final boss. Thinking about it I'd actually like to revisit that game in a working state, but those five hours on PS3 were more than enough back then.

Also, yes, Last of Us doesn't need a remake, I think every person in the world would agree with that. Except for the clueless suits who have the money.

I think people are overreacting just a tad from one article somewhat, some of these takes are super spicy. I’ll wait and see what’s announced and what happens in the near future before throwing my PS5 out the window.

As for BC etc. I’ve got my fat PS3 rigged up and can play all the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games I want (I’ve fired it up once to see if RGG5 still works). Digital is always a risky game when it comes to preservation. The best way to play and preserve old games (sometimes the only way) is physical copies and older consoles.

Best place for digital BC games is PC and probably always will be.

I will say again as well that although TLOU doesn’t need a remake I would play the shit out of it. I’ll also be all over a proper bells and whistles PS5 TLOUP2. 

I don’t understand the HBO comparison unless you mean HBO Max but even then they’re not making movies just buying right to other peoples temporarily while cinemas are shut.

@DisturbedSwan It’s not a good argument to say you don’t care about BC because you have a ps3 so you’re alright. Digital shouldn’t be a risky game. Especially when when you’re pushed towards it with them selling digital only consoles cheaper.

E7DAA649-161D-4D2D-9CB3-DBAC61FBC9D8.jpeg

1 minute ago, mmmark said:

I don’t understand the HBO comparison unless you mean HBO Max but even then they’re not making movies just buying right to other peoples temporarily while cinemas are shut.

@DisturbedSwan It’s not a good argument to say you don’t care about BC because you have a ps3 so you’re alright. Digital shouldn’t be a risky game. Especially when when you’re pushed towards it with them selling digital only consoles cheaper.

That HBO quality standard is what I believe Kyle was getting at in the comparison, that was my

interpretation anyway.

My only point with the PS3 thing (it might’ve come off a bit ‘I’m alright jack’ sorry) is to say that’s the only sure fire way to preserve games and play old games (particularly PS1 to PS3) is physical copies and older consoles.

I do want PS to up their efforts on that front though, even though I don’t personally play old games much at all, it’s a nice thing to have and something Xbox does very well. 

But digital should already solve the problem of preservation though.

This is the cheapest copy of Parasite Eve I found on ebay, another one was 400£. Another was 1k. Physical just isn't an option for games like this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Parasite-Eve-ntsc-us-ps1-ps2-ps3-aus-spielesammlung/284025099312?hash=item4221371430:g:c7QAAOSwoAlfb1Yz

But you can just buy it for a tenner of Sony and it's a great working version of the game. The logic behind shutting their stores down is purely cost cutting. Less employee bandwidth 'wasted' on maintaining older legacy stuff

You will see MGS4 fetching these prices in time, guarantee it. Although that game at least can be played on youtube as well

TLoU upgrade would be nice if it was a case of put the PS4 version in a PS5, it downloads an update for free and gives you all the benefits of playing a nicer looking version without having to dip your hand in your pocket. They won't do this though, if you want that RT you're going to have to hand over another £50.

Tbh if they redid the whole game with RT and put in the TLOU2 gameplay it would be worth the 50£.

Moreso tho it would be nice to see attention given to their entire legacy rather than the games Naughty Dog make. I guess the HBO analogy wasn't a good one but what I was trying to get at is they are seeming to be all in on preserving these 'prestige' games while leaving lots of other old stuff or lower scoring metacritic titles just fade away.

On 10/04/2021 at 11:55, one-armed dwarf said:

But digital should already solve the problem of preservation though.

Albeit we've already had many instances where digital doesn't preserve, due to licencing issues (e.g. Deadpool, GH/BH, reduced soundtracks on GTA re-releases etc).