passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game in Trouble

DANGERMAN

gamestation still taking trade-ins here, swapped mass effect 3 for £35 psn credit (only paid £33 :awe: ), wanted to use my remaining credit as well but they'd run out of both £5 and £10 codes but still had game specific codes so i got super stardust on the vita.

i hope they get this sorted and survive though, people in there seem cool, job losses are bad.

they'd see a lot more custom from me if their new release prices were closer to online prices, i wouldn't mind a few quid extra for the convenience but the difference is often near a tenner. that and keep the games in the boxes, i don't like that they're already opened and can be marked/scratched but sold as new.

Out of the 2 brands, Gamestation for me is the one i would want to survive. Even as a standalone business, they just get so much more involved in gaming as a whole. Game seems isolated and too much into your wallet. Although i may be looking out for bargains, ambulance chaser and all that :-)

Problem with Gamestation is that it smells like a homeless soup kitchen mixed in with crotch. Im not sure if thats a cultivated smell or what but most stores around the country smell like it.

You sound like you tour the country sniffing shops.... :lol:

.... :lol: no, that would be silly....

Spotted on GAF.

lEkVa.jpg

Mass Effect 2 with a sticker over the "2" and at number 1 in their charts (I think all GAME items have stickers on top right anyway, mind). Hopefully a one off, but :facepalm:

And this from a Gamestation store:

R8E8Wl.jpg

Also, pre-owned 3 for 2 at GAME.co.uk

Mass Effect 2 with a sticker over the "2" and at number 1 in their charts (I think all GAME items have stickers on top right anyway, mind). Hopefully a one off, but :facepalm:

This is exactly the sort of thing that needs to stop when they get back on their feet. Whoever thought that little scheme up is a fucking asshole. I'd have to assume it's specific to that store rather than group wide.

the thing is they've put the stickers in the same place on Mass Effect, Saints Row, Battlefield, and The Darkness. Is it not possible that they've put ME2 up front to try to cash in on the ME3 hype, which is something that used to happen when I worked in retail, rather than pretend it's ME3 to hoodwink people. I mean I'm sure Game don't care either way, and they're definitely malevolent, definitely, but I think people might me reading too much in to this

the thing is they've put the stickers in the same place on Mass Effect, Saints Row, Battlefield, and The Darkness. Is it not possible that they've put ME2 up front to try to cash in on the ME3 hype, which is something that used to happen when I worked in retail, rather than pretend it's ME3 to hoodwink people. I mean I'm sure Game don't care either way, and they're definitely malevolent, definitely, but I think people might me reading too much in to this

Okay fair enough, it probably wasn't premeditated to drive sales for that game or hoodwink people (I mean what else are they going to put in the number 1 slot?), but there has to be some integrity with the chart titles as certain people look to those to see what current and popular.

Mass Effect 2 is a stone-cold classic but I'd be a little pissed to find that i'd bought a two year old game when I thought I was buying a brand new one.

Taken from Gaf

Yesterday, I was informed by management (I work at a Gamestation) that we're not opening at 9am tomorrow. Instead, we're waiting for a conference call that will say which stores stay open and which ones close. Any stores closing will do so immediately, and staff will be sent home.

I'm willing to bet only one store will remain open in each area; that being the most profitable one.

My store isn't the most profitable in the area, and we're located dead-opposite a GAME, so I think my store will be closed. Though it's been sounding likely that all Gamestation stores will be closed, with the exception of a select handful (probably those not located near a GAME), which will be turned into GAME stores.

I was in my local game today, they were offering an extra 75% for selected trade ins, but the store had nothing in it, seriously the sections looked worse than the one at my tesco, depleted and as if nothing was coming through. Shelves of pre-order cases and thats it, very disappointing to see the store like this. The end is in sight.

Taken from Gaf

Yesterday, I was informed by management (I work at a Gamestation) that we're not opening at 9am tomorrow. Instead, we're waiting for a conference call that will say which stores stay open and which ones close. Any stores closing will do so immediately, and staff will be sent home.

I'm willing to bet only one store will remain open in each area; that being the most profitable one.

My store isn't the most profitable in the area, and we're located dead-opposite a GAME, so I think my store will be closed. Though it's been sounding likely that all Gamestation stores will be closed, with the exception of a select handful (probably those not located near a GAME), which will be turned into GAME stores.

Hmmm, not sure about the validity of this. Both stores in Kettering have been open since 9am, both are a stones throw from each other in the center, and the guys in Gamestation knew nothing about a conference call taking place. They're still bracing for the worst though.

sam :finger:

from MVC

The first GAME and Gamestation stores to be shut after the chain’s entry into administration have closed their doors.

It is estimated that around 300 of the UK’s 609 GAME and Gamestation outlets will cease trading immediately, with the possibility of more to follow if a buyer is not found quickly.

One of MCV’s local stores, Gamestation in Enfield EN2, sadly shut its doors just moments ago. Enfield’s GAME store, however, remains open for the time being.

If you work for a store that has either been closed or has been told it will stay open, please let us know in the comments below.

UPDATE: We're hearing of confirmed closures of a number of GAME and Gamestation stores, with more coming in every minute. There has also been a report of Gamestation's flagship Birmingham New Street store closing its doors.

Whatever, so it came true, doesnt mean it was right.

I expect it will just carry on like this to be honest, I suspect a buyer might want to start again. Has it been released anywhere why this happened, what was causing them to lose money? Was it like too many stores open or something like that?

It's probably a combination of loads of things - low supermarket prices, online passes encouraging people to buy new rather than second-hand, too many stores, people buying online.....

You think about it long enough and it's a miracle they made it this far.

There has also been a report of Gamestation's flagship Birmingham New Street store closing its doors.

That store hasn't been a flagship for anything in years.

It used to be amazing: 2 floors, demo pods galore plus sofas a big screens, and even a retro museum type section with a playable neo-geo arcde cab.

An excerpt from an article on VG24/7:

GAME has since suspended usage of its Reward Cards, gift-cards and the trading-in of hardware. Software is currently being accepted, but consumers will only get credit and not cash.

I hope everyone managed to clear their reward and gift cards!

Full article here: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/26/game-officially-enters-administration/