passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New xbox and PS4 at E3

Hendo

I'd be surprised if the XBLA games carry over because they'll no doubt have to get the licenses back which either won't happen full stop, or you have to pay a fee, like you do for carrying over Rock Band tracks from one disc to the next.

They'll only have made contracts for use on the 360 specifically, which will mean new contracts drawn up. Same as Activision not guaranteeing the old Tony Hawks music appearing in the HD remake.

good point i never thought about stuff like that, could cause problems :( (losing rock band dlc would be a big hit :() but at the same time i don't think things like that would affect all games?...although i don't really know how it works.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sly, it's not a cost thing with Sony, apparently at the last minute they dedicated some ram set aside for the OS to the processor, so they can't guarantee there's enough spare for chat and to add it would mean breaking old games, so its just never happened

I mean for PS4. I know they painted themselves into a corner online regarding the PS3. Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes.

I've just dropped my broadband package from unlimited to 40GB, saving £7 a month.

The biggest things I download are demos and XBLA games, but I still reckon I can stay under the new limit. I can always up it again if I need to.

http://spong.com/article/26064/Rumour-Next-Xbox-Could-Function-With-Tablets

Gamespot is kicking off a rumour that the next Xbox console will be centred around a tablet device, in a similar fashion to Nintendo's Wii U. What does it reference as a source for this? "Strong signs." Ohhhhh dear. Someone please pass the salt.

Apparently Microsoft will unveil its new chipset and multicore CPU, to be used for its next iteration of home console, at its Consumer Electronics Show conference this week. When it comes to E3 and the hardware's full reveal, Gamespot speculates that "a tablet component figures heavily into the new design."

The website continues, "Speculation as to the form it will take has been rife for the past few months, with some even suggesting that the core of the new platform will be akin to a tablet PC that wirelessly connects to a base station, which in turn plugs into your TV." Such speculation - assumedly from other parties - is not cited.

The rumour itself is sound. It's quite likely that Microsoft will want to tie up all of its product lines into a tight integrated package. No doubt it will be looking into how Windows 8 tablets will connect to the next Xbox with its familiar Metro UI. But using educated guesses as a source means we have to be wary of just how legitimate these claims are.

I mean, 'strong signs,' seriously? I've got 'strong signs' that whatever I ate for dinner last night isn't sitting well with me. But then it could just all be bloated gas. Who knows? Not I. Yet.

I never really thought about this, but now it's been brought to my attention, I think it could be possible. I'm not sure how it'd work for games, but then again, that's not my problem, even if this rumour holds any water.

Scratch any ideas for PS4 showing at E3.

http://spong.com/article/26081/No-PlayStation-4-for-E3-2012-says-Sony

Sony's Executive Deputy President - and the man most likely to succeed to Sir Howard Stringer's role as big chief, Kazuo Hirai, has apparently laid the ghost of an idea that the PlayStation 4 will appear at E3 this summer.

Speaking at a roundtable at CES this week, he laid out the basics:

“Andy (House - President and Group Chief Executive Officer, Sony Computer Entertainment) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3.

"I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that.”

According to MCV, Mr Hirai is, "...seemingly referencing the quote from House, made late last year prior to our story but posted by CVG as a spoiler on Monday which reads "I don’t think we’re contemplating talking about anything to do with future console iterations at this point."

Given that Sony has a great deal resting on the success of the Vita this year, it makes sense not to break up the brand message.

That doesn't mean it won't be revealed at any other show though. I wouldn't really hold my breath for it.

it might still mean its at E3. He was asked a question about whether the ps4 would be announced at E3, if he'd said yes then he'd be announcing the console now.

Purely as speculation I think the next microsoft console will be there in some sort of playable form, while the ps4 will be a tech demo (so will release after the Kinextbox)

I can easily believe it's a lie.

The 10 year cycle just means they hope that there will be a game or two being released on the PS3 in 2016. If the PS4 is announced this year, then it will likely come out 2013 and it's not that hard to imagine people still buying games for a couple of years for it.

Or they really wanted to prove their point and no-one else was making games for it, they could do the whole "classics done cheap" re-release thing of Sony published games, hey presto, it hits the 10 year cycle.

There was a story today about them selling 500,000 ps2s over christmas, by the sounds of it they were all in 'developing' countries, which I assume means India and the like. I think the likes of Madden, Fifa, Pes still come out for it over here/america too, so it's not really a going concern but it's still technically is

• 3 weeks later...

Sony will probably be the last to announce new home console.

Sony reckons it'll be the last to announce its next generation plans.

Sony France boss Philippe Cardon told Lepoint.fr (translated by Eurogamer's Oli Welsh) the Japanese company won't be rushed in the next-gen race.

"It's true that there are a lot of rumours, but I can't tell you anything," he told the interviewer.

"The Wii is under time pressure because it's in decline. As far as we're concerned, we're under a lot less pressure. We were the last to release the PS3, we will probably be the last to announce something."

Nintendo is set to enter the next generation ahead of Sony and Microsoft with the Wii U, due out this Christmas.

Microsoft is strongly rumoured to be preparing to announce its next Xbox at E3 in June, with a launch planned for 2013.

But what of Sony?

Jim Ryan, PlayStation Euro boss, told Eurogamer in November last year that it would be "undesirable" to concede another head start advantage to Microsoft with the next generation of consoles - comments that contradict Cardon's.

Earlier this month MCV claimed Sony would show its new console at E3 this year - a tip that came from an "ultra high level" source.

And Microsoft ain't showing nowt either.

The next Xbox will not launch in 2012, Microsoft has gone on the record to say.

Cedrick Delmas, marketing director of Microsoft France, was asked by Lepoint.fr in a new interview (translated by Eurogamer's Oli Welsh): "Rumours indicate the presentation of a new Microsoft machine at E3 in June..."

His response:

"We're in an industry that talks a lot, that likes telling stories. I am not convinced that things will happen this year. The Xbox 360's cycle is not over at all. The proof is that we haven't price cut this year.

"Afterward, what will happen at E3, it's still too early to say. What's certain is that there will be nothing new in 2012. If we wanted to counter Nintendo, we would have to be in a position to release something immediately, and that is not at all the case.

"We're not here to counter Nintendo and they're not here to fight the other manufacturers. Nintendo has put itself in a different cycle, it's going forward to its own rhythm, with success as we have seen with the Wii, and now it's their turn to present their innovation."

Delmas' comments reference the Wii U, Nintendo's Wii successor.

The Wii U is set for a re-reveal at E3 2012 in June, with a launch in time for Christmas.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is rumoured to be preparing to announce its next Xbox at E3, with a release in 2013.

Eurogamer understands Microsoft plans to launch two very different versions of the next Xbox.

The first is described as a "pared down machine" to be released as cheaply as possible. It is likened to a set-top box, and will act as a Kinect-themed gaming portal.

The second is a "more fully-featured machine" with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility. This would be aimed at hardcore gamers and released at a higher price-point. Kinect, Digital Foundry has heard, will be bundled with both SKUs.

Earlier today Sony told Lepoint it will "probably" be the last to announce its next generation plans.

Lot's of words saying nothing.

They're like two shy lovers who aren't quite ready to show 'theirs' yet.

http://spong.com/article/26280/Volition-Dev-Bemoans-Pre-Owned-Console-Block-Fantastic

Here we go again! Jameson Durall, a design director at Volition, is the latest developer to stir the pot in the ongoing playground argument surrounding the pre-owned market. He reckons that any blocking of second-hand games on next-gen consoles would be a "fantastic" thing, and that the industry will "fall apart" without the eradication of trade-ins.

"I think [console blocking] would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first they will grow to understand why and that it won’t kill them,” Durall writes on his blog.

"The system is already there for Microsoft, all they’d have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account. Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly."

He writes a lot more about the idea - including how such an idea actually has its flaws and that it would need to be more like a rental system - but then makes an impassioned plea that's not unlike every "starving artist" plea made by every developer before him.

“I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart,” he writes. “People often don’t understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60.

“They also don’t seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing. Maybe something as simple as educating them could help solve the problem.

“I know that some will say I’m not considering the retail games stores and the impact something like this would have on them…but remember they were doing fine well before the used games market became such a staple of their business. The truth is, they aren’t concerned with how this business is affecting us so why should I care how these changes will affect them?"

Do they not realise that not every single person is online? Also, the "Just $60" line made me laugh. You are taking the piss man.

Yeah im pretty bored of devs making the argument against pre-owned games. Whats crazy is that a lot of the time retailers will sell a pre-owned game for only 3 or 4 quid less than a new version, particularly around a game's initial release date. I think what should be a bigger worry for game makers is perhaps reducing the cost of making games, rather than selling them for a higher price. I mean, you know how much you are going to make from predicted game sales...its just a case of budgeting, dont spend shit loads of money making a game if you dont think its going to sell that well or if you are going to end up potentially losing money. If you budget a certain amount, then overspend or then make a shit game, its your own fault. No coincidence that the often listed 'top games of....' sold shed loads.

That 'only $60' line is ridiculous, I completely agree.

EDIT:

Games made by Volition:

Saints Row: The Third (2011)

Red Faction: Armageddon (2011)

Red Faction: Guerrilla (2009)

Saints Row 2 (2008)

Saints Row (2006)

The Punisher (2005)

Red Faction II (2002)

Summoner 2 (2002)

Red Faction (2001)

Summoner (2000)

FreeSpace 2 (1999)

Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War (1998)

Can see a fair few sequels in that lot... :huh:

Double EDIT:

Also noticed he refers to his own company's games as "these huge experiences that we put on the shelves" if I do say so myself. Twat :finger: