passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Portal 2

Jimboxy

I'm genuinely not all that excited about this. I didnt love the first game as much as everyone else, but i preferred it when it was lots of short puzzles. And as has already been said Stephen Merchant being Stephen Merchant doesn't really appeal, it's going to be like an interactive bank advert

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm genuinely not all that excited about this. I didnt love the first game as much as everyone else, but i preferred it when it was lots of short puzzles. And as has already been said Stephen Merchant being Stephen Merchant doesn't really appeal, it's going to be like an interactive bank advert

This, apart from the not loving the first one bit. One of my favourite things from the original was its minimalist desgin. Portal 2 seems to have a lot more going on.

Merchant sounds so out of place, but I guess Valve know what they're doing?..

This, apart from the not loving the first one bit. One of my favourite things from the original was its minimalist desgin. Portal 2 seems to have a lot more going on.

Merchant sounds so out of place, but I guess Valve know what they're doing?..

Ive never played the first one - should I have? The orange box is too full of games I will never play so have never bothered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
According to Valve, who amusingly call this their "shortest delay in Valve history," Portal 2 will now be available "the week of April 18th, 2011" - so, we assume they mean April 19th for North America and April 22nd.

• 1 month later...

He's not wrong.

Valve has announced that the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 will feature Steam functionality. This is the first time Steam has ever appeared on a console, and this will also be the first time that PlayStation 3 gamers will be able to play with PC or Mac gamers. Along with cross-platform multiplayer, we can expect persistent cloud-based storage for PS3 save games and cross-platform chat. (To clarify, "cross-platform" in this context means PS3-PC/Mac, not PS3-360.)

On top of that, anyone who buys Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 will be able to unlock a Steam Play copy of Portal 2 for the PC and Mac for free by linking their PSN and Steam accounts. Portal 2 project lead Josh Weier explains that Valve has designed the cross-platform experience to be hassle-free: "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

Back at E3 2010, Gabe Newell promised that the PlayStation 3 version would be the best console version, and now we know what exactly he meant. Newell went on to say, along with today's announcement, that Valve hopes "to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases."

PS3 version it is then.

I dont doubt that M&K will be the better control scheme, and maybe the 360 players of the first game will tell me different, but the speed the game moves at (relatively slow) might meen a controller is fine. Granted a deathmatch might be a problem, but co-op might be ok.

it's pretty cool allowing pc/ps3/mac multiplayer but i don't think it'll sway me away from the 360 version.

I dont doubt that M&K will be the better control scheme, and maybe the 360 players of the first game will tell me different, but the speed the game moves at (relatively slow) might meen a controller is fine. Granted a deathmatch might be a problem, but co-op might be ok.

i played the first one on 360 and didn't have any problems with controls but some of the later puzzles required some manouvers which i could see someone who was good with mouse/kb being better at. is the multiplayer competetive or coop? if it's just coop it won't matter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...