passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Broadband woes

retroed

• 3 weeks later...

Called up today to cancel our Sky package. We currently just pay for line rental and we get broadband, phone and entertainment package (including 'box sets'), which is going up to £65 a month from October.

I was planing on switching to Virgin fiber with no tv, however Sky have offered us unlimited fiber, same tv package and line rental for £37 a month. I thought that seemed pretty good. As much as I hate Murdoch, the Sky tv service is pretty awesome so I would quite like to keep it. 

Anyone ne got any experience of Sky fiber, or do you think it sounds like a decent deal?

I left BT earlier in the year and moved to Sky, due to BT increasing their costs. Always said I'd stay away from Sky on principle, but they were the best I could find at the time and I got £75 cashback on Quidco. 

I'm on their basic fibre package, not the superfast one but it's good enough. Router only does 2.4GhZ and not 5 but it's no big deal. No drops or reductions in speed that I've noticed. 

I have unlimited fibre broadband, line rental and anytime calls for £36 p/m. No TV. 

• 3 weeks later...

My bro-in-law who works for Currys managed to get us a new sky deal. 

Sky Q 1 TB box & Sky Q broadband hub

Box sets package (most channels apart from films and sport) including HD channels

Unlimited fiber broadband

unlimited evening and weekend calls

line rental

£22 a month :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally our internet is live. Openreach had to come out and put a new master socket in for us (inbuilt filter, fancy). It's quite a leap from our 2-5mb connection we had at the flat. 

For some reason the Sky Q router won't play nicely with my net plugs so everything is running wirelessly for the time being. IMG_5002.PNG

Plugged the net plugs back in again. They seem to be working ok at the moment. I think it's because I was setting the Sky Q box to also be a wireless extender (one of the options it gives you when you plug it in via Ethernet) which according to the internet doesn't work properly yet. Now getting 32mb downloads on PS4. What used to take three days to download is currently coming down in about 40 mins. 

• 2 months later...

Ok, I got a proper broadband woe for you. Hopefully someone will have a good solution. Hold tight, it may get long and complicated.

So for months everything's been fine.

TV downstairs has a TV box that is plugged directly into the router. 3 phones connected wirelessly, couple of iPads and my PS4.

Last week internet starts going shit and I can hear her indoors and her bloke talking about resetting the router. This doesn't fix it and my PS4 hasn't connected since then.

I initially suspected he had bumped me off the router as my phone is connecting but I had a chat with them and now everything still connects bar my console and his phone. Her phone and iPad connects, my phone connects. He can stand right next to the router and nothing.

There's a few possibilities here.

The BT maintenance page says there are problems in my area but surely wireless should not be affected? And only some of the wireless things?

The dogs (little angels that they are) have knocked the router off the stand a few times so it's possible they could have damaged it, but again, why only some things not connecting?

I'm considering buying a wireless booster anyway but I don't know if it's a BT issue or router issue.

The other problem is that the numpty who pays for it has only online billing and when he tried to ring up to inquire about it, he couldn't remember his security answer. So we might actually be fucked.

If something is connected to the router via Ethernet does it get net access? 

If so so you could get some home plugs and plug on in next to the router, one in your room and you'll have a wired connection. If you get yourself a wireless mini hub you can then have you own private wireless network (you can even hide the ssid so your housemates won't even see it. 

It sounds like the wireless in your router is knackered and you live with idiots. Can't they reset the security password with his other info or has he forgotten when he was born and where?

Home plugs from Amazon

Wireless mini hub

Yeah, their TV box is plugged straight in. 

Not really practical for me to lug console and TV downstairs to try plugging it in as the router is in the hall.

Would I need the wireless hub or just get away with the plugs?