passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 3 : ODST

Bob

I like it, though it is rather dark, can't really see much more than outlines indoors. Thanks to lag (yes, lag in 2 player co-op that I am hosting!) it is kind of hard to judge the quality of the single player, I am enjoying it but the real treat has been fire fight. Like a fun version of Survival mode on L4D where you can run around throwing plasma grenades at dudes and laughing at their pain. Bit tough at the moment but once I have got used to it then it will be a walk in the park, Horde was next to impossible the first time I played that and now look at it! I have beaten it into submission.

Unlike stupid survival mode <_<

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm doing it on Heroic so some sudden deaths have been frequant but only because you start doing stupid shit.

The Rookie bits are nice and quiet and ripping off Bioshock/Metroid Prime is paying off pretty well, first Halo with atmosphere. Fact. I'm unsure about all this 'it should of been DLC talk'. There are some massive enviroments and all the other added shit makes me wonder it might be a good retail game, its pretty different for something that still has Halo 3 in the title anyway.

completed it this morning and i have to say, i've never been a huge halo fan, but this one is my favourite. more compact and to the point. the rookie bits inbetween being a big highlight, adding something different between the levels which played out like a halo "best of".

the choice of getting some of the guys from firefly to do the voice acting was genius too, covered up the pretty ropey cut-scene animation anyway.

campaign is very short, but i'd rather have a short campaign I can play through again, than a long one i'd never even want to bother trying.

in the end, although i agree with people saying its an expansion, it's the only halo game i'm not selling after completing it.

Im only on the third 'clue' but im enjoying it so far. The dark cityscape of New Mombosa gets a little samey but all that darkness made Uplift Reverse (second clue) look absolutely amazing. And speaking of Uplift Reverse, i forgot just how much i love driving Warthogs, that whole level was amazing.

I quite enjoy being underpowered, it wakes for a more tactical approach as it forces you to use cover alot more than your used to in Halo, i was also constantly on the scrounge for weapons.

It was nice to see a fair amount of people playing this on Heroic on my friends list, like the caption under the difficulty says, this is how Halo is supposed to be played. Shame on you Spautular for playing it on Easy.

Anyone else struggle with the Hunters on the first level?

I ended up just running past them. :unsure:

I'm playing this on Normal, and am enjoying it a lot. I'm not the hugest of Halo fans, I've never really played the multiplayer either, but I'm having a good time with this and like the direction Bungie have taken. The hub world is super dark, too dark at times and I'm not enjoying that part as much as I'd hoped I would, but the main missions are very good and just good old Halo. You do very extremely underpowered at times, but this adds to the tension and requires you to think about how you're going to take on the situation.

Once I've finished the campaign, which I'm about half-way through I think, I'll probably trade it in. I can get £33 at Gamestation (matching CEX) at the moment, I only paid £29.85 for it. I would keep it for the second disc as it's the complete Halo 3 multiplayer package, but I've never really played Halo online and MW2 is out soon.

Does anyone want a Sgt. Johnson code?

Like Ed, playing on Normal, I just know I'm not good enough to play on anything higher than that.

Really enjoying it thus far, and loving sneaking around the city of New Mombassa. Did anyone read any of the Halo Uprising comics? the woman in the audio diary things looks familiar and I think she may have been in that? will have to dig the 2 issues I bought out and have a check.

I do have a couple of problems, compared to Halo 3 the Assault Rifle feels incredibly underpowered, just because the ODST's aren't as strong as Master Chief doesn't mean the weapons would be weaker, also whats with being able to fire a Spartan Laser? I thought only a Spartan could use those?

Those 2 small, sort of continuity issues aside, I'm really enjoying being back in the world and lore of Halo again.

Quick questions regarding the multiplayer disc - I don't think I bought any extra maps for Halo 3 so I'd probably use this disc for multi, are you still discouraged from installing it like Halo 3, and will it keep my stats and stuff from the little I've played before?

Quick questions regarding the multiplayer disc - I don't think I bought any extra maps for Halo 3 so I'd probably use this disc for multi, are you still discouraged from installing it like Halo 3, and will it keep my stats and stuff from the little I've played before?

I'm guessing it will hold your stats over, like how it knows what's on your fileshare even though you have not touched it for ages.

Shame on you Spautular for playing it on Easy.

i sort of like running through it like rambo :P and i'll no doubt play through it loads on coop at harder difficulties anyway.

completed it yesterday (on easy it is really easy!) and really enjoyed it,

the end isn't great compared to halo 1 and 3 but i think they have some of the best endings ever so are a hard act to follow anyway.

also wish i'd found the mongoose earlier as that helps a lot going round the city.

got the achievement for doing a level on legendary without firing, it's quite a bit easier than it sounds if you do the right level, it's pretty obvious which one that is too, it's probably not even possible on the others.

firefight is ace, appart from one time it lagged so much i felt sick.

edit - yeah like Sly says it keeps your stats. and i think you're still discouraged from installing it but i know people who have anyway. installing the odst disk decreases load times massively though so install that one in the face.

Alright smartass.

Im a foolish fool by the way. I did what i think Riva did in Halo 3, i played the first two chapters and just turned it off, didnt save.. Went back to play again today before dinner and no save...Had to choose Replay Mission then left it on Normal by accident... Had to start again on Heroic.

Boo.

Riva - i have been told that the saves for coop and single player are separate, i was a bit confused by that myself. it would explain why i had 15 of the soundbites/tapes collected in singleplayer, then in coop it reset to 0.

just had an epic game of firefight, it was awesome but went on a bit too long we ended up running into the open to end it quicker, only playing on normal though, need to up the difficulty next time.

I did that again today actually, luckily it was between missions that I did it so only had to retrek as the Rookie to where Dutch's mission starts.

Played some Firefight tonight, seems really good fun, got the "Hero" Medal by bringing a mate back from the dead by finishing a round off on my own, took out a Wraith and a bunch of brutes with the Spartan Laser, had alot of issues with lag though, especially in the first game we played where the third guy in our party (who dropped out for game 2) was using some hobbled together ADSL line out in some remote part of France (he's not French, he's just loaded and is paying well over the odds for his internet connection).

The lag seems really strange on this, it could almost be mistaken for slowdown on a few occasions. I was playing tonight with some friends and the game stalled to a halt when they started throwing grenades all the time. Wath next time they are getting grenade happy and you will notice the same thing probably, the slowdown starts when the 'nades simultaneously explode. The game lags like fuck if you are in party chat too.