passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tales of Vesperia

CelShadedDreams

Probably the best JRPG on the 360, though it's pretty tough to get your hands on, a lot of places have no stock.

I was surprised, the main characters are really likeable and the voice acting is great.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm really enjoying it. If anyone played and enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on gamecube you'll love this.

I'm the same to be honest. I liked Symphonia and when this was announced I started to look forward to playing it. I tried the demo of it and I realised I really didn't care for it, not because it was bad, I just didn't feel the need to play it. I think it was playing Persona 3 and 4 back to back which has temporarily killed any interest in JRPG's.

I didn't enjoy the demo, it wasn't a good way to demo it. To be honest I don't think demoing JRPGs is a particularly good idea anyway, you can't get an idea of what it's like from one section since it's such a story driven genre, you need the whole thing.

I'm starting to get bored with jrpgs, the rest of the gaming industry has surpassed that formula, needs some new life injected into it to keep up. I still have fun with them, but I'm a lot more picky about them than I used to be.

I didn't enjoy the demo, it wasn't a good way to demo it. To be honest I don't think demoing JRPGs is a particularly good idea anyway, you can't get an idea of what it's like from one section since it's such a story driven genre, you need the whole thing.

I'm starting to get bored with jrpgs, the rest of the gaming industry has surpassed that formula, needs some new life injected into it to keep up. I still have fun with them, but I'm a lot more picky about them than I used to be.

Problem with JRPG's is western RPG's. See this is how things normally go in a JRPG

Wow, you stole/murdered/defecated on my family treasure/significant other/cornflakes. Now I have to go to the next village which entails grinding mercilessly against the same rat/manbeast/Hitler impersonator until I am strong enough to fight the dragon/zombie/Bob Carolgees monster with my ragtag band that are the same as every other JRPG since the 80's. Repeat and rinse this, maybe add a dash of emo crap to taste. Once you get to the end of the game and face off against the guy/gal that has evaded you every step of the way, spend the next 30 minutes fighting harder and harder versions of said person until you win. Watch more crap about how pulling together and saving the world was easy because of friendship.

And now for Western RPG's

You have to escape from Prison/vault/set up (always thinly veiled as a tutorial). Once the escape is done, you can either follow the storyline or do your own thing. No random grinding to be done, fights can be tackled in a variation of ways dependant on game, side quests can be taken to beef up your arsenal instead of only been bought when you reach certain areas in JRPG's. There is nothing pushing you along but the story and the want to discover what is just over the crest of the hill.

Now, I'm not going to pretend I am an expert when it comes to JRPG's, although I have spent lots of time watching people play them. I think JRPG's are one of those genres that just don't evolve with the times at all, which is why I think people are falling out of love with them. Sure, I doubt they will ever die out, but for a style of games to be really popular over the last 2 gens to pretty much fizzle out into this gen, something has to change for them to keep up with the forefront of game tastes.

Who knows, maybe in a few gens I'll be talking about FPS fall from grace?

Im definately getting Tales when i get paid. 100% agree on the demo impressions, you were just dumped halfway through the game, of course you werent going to enjoy it. But Symphony on the Cube was a masterpeice and this looks more of the same just with stunning graphics and on the 360.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So forget the demo completely, it comes nothing even close to doing the full game even a glimmer of justice.

First of all this game just looks amazing, its beautiful infact. My misses came home after aerobics and she though i was watching Cartoon Network untill she saw my 360 pad in my sweaty claws.

Its been a while since i played Symphonia on the Cube (that was a sweeeet 90 hours) and no-one read instruction booklets so i was very pleased to be given a short tutorial to accompany my first fight, and these short tutorials continue with each new thing.

I found the story immediately immersive and as CSD said in her post, the characters are brilliant and you dig then straight away. The main character Yuri is cooler than Floyd and his dog Rapede carries a pipe in his mouth making him instantly the best character in the game, maybe ever.

I put in about 3 and half hours so far, ive been grinding a little and getting used to the battle system, bought some better weapons and armour. Its been ages since ive RPG'd it properly and im fucking loving it.

always wanted the GC Tales, never got round to it. im in the mood for a jrpg though! ill try n hunt it down

as for jap devs being all stale and getting their arses handed to them by the west recently, I think theyll have their big comeback when they start trying to make more modern (ie. western-style) rpgs and such instead of being so blinkered with their jrpg grindfests mahjong rape games. then the west will take their lead and beat their asses, then theyll innovate and rise again, blah blah blah old chestnut blah

Im saving all my RPG points for when Final Fantasy 13 comes out, I want to make sure im not tired of the genre when thats released, I just played Final Fantasy 7 and didnt quite manage to complete that before I lost interest so need a little break.

I bought this today, I'm not sure why but I want something meaty to get into and I thought I'd break my "no JRPG" rule.

Well i hope you like it, im 4 hours in and i think its brilliant, it just looks so stunning! Im getting into the story aswell but its so early everything is surely going to change massively, i suppose im still in the introduction before the real story kicks off.

I think the big puller for me is that the combats in real time, i hate turn based for the most part.

when you start to play it and inevitably hate it, i may be interested in buying it off you.

:lol:

when you start to play it and inevitably hate it, i may be interested in buying it off you.

If you're really lucky and I absolutely loathe it, you can have it for free.

I'm gonna give this a damn good try though, illdog's raving about it won me over, not least because I'm a sucker for brilliant cartoon visuals.

I tried GAME and they didn't have it at all, went to Gamestation and they tried to push the second hand copy for 37 quid but I insisted on the new one until they had a look and found that they didn't actually have a new one in stock which was a little suspicious so I went for the second hand one.

This was in Wrexham, so no use to you, sorry.