passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Seems like we do, which is fine 😊

I’ve found Reacher to be one of the best shows I’ve seen in ages. I’ve not read the books (yet), so the constant twists are new to me. Already blazed through Season 2, or what’s available so far at least.

Mr Bates Vs The Post Office (ITV / ITV X)

Superb 4 part drama telling the true life story of the Post Office Horizon scandal - where sub-postmasters were held personally accountable for financial irregularities caused by a dodgy Fujitsu computer system - whilst the PO insisted, for years, it was fine.

Sadly the story still continues as those affected try to rebuild their lives and livelihoods, but if was a great drama, and Toby Jones was his usual excellent self as the lead character.

Spoiler

It seems utterly incomprehensible how the PO ruthlessly treated those involved - often without any real evidence (aside from saying their numbers didn't balance).

There was no burden of proof that the sub-postmasters had actually taken the money yet they were held liable - and no mitigation that pre Horizon they had successfully run their PO without any issue.

Sadly the program puts the burden of responsibility on the PO (& UK Government) whilst Fujitsu seem to somewhat escape blame free - although further inquiries are pending.

I read a book about this scandal a year or so ago when I was on holiday. It’s one of the most gripping books I’ve ever read in my life. This scandal utterly ruined the lives of so many sub-postmasters. Loads of them suffered ill health, and depression. Many served jail time. And some even committed suicide. It was absolutely gobsmacking to read what an absolute travesty it was. 

I definitely want to watch this, but unfortunately my phone doesn’t appear to like the ITV app, and you can’t get it on PS5. So I might have to watch it at Sarah’s next chance I get. 

But yeah. What an utter miscarriage of justice it is. 

IMG_0192.png

Binged my way through all of Mr Bates VS The Post Office in a day. It’s absolutely brilliant, and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s utterly gobsmacking how despite hundreds of sub postmasters being affected by the complete fuck-up that was Horizon, the party line from the Post Office was “Nobody else is having this problem”. Errors constantly being made in thousands of pounds, and the postmasters being expected to make it right, often from their own savings. Just a life wrecking shitshow, and the biggest miscarriage of justice in British legal history. 
Absolutely unmissable, this. 

On a more lighter note, Sarah suggested we watch a “gameshow” on BBC IPlayer, called Traitors. It’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen in years. Hosted by Claudia Winkleman, 22 complete strangers rock up at a Castle, with the intention of winning a maximum of £120,000. To do so, they compete in various tasks, trying to increase the prize pot. However, there’s a catch. The vast majority of the players are what’s called ‘Faithful’. In the first episode, 3 of the players are secretly identified as ‘Traitors’. The Traitors know who they are, but the Faithful have no idea. Each night, the 3 Traitors meet up in secret, and identify one Faithful team member to ‘murder’ during the night. That means the poor sod chosen is visited in the night, and removed from the game. The next morning, everyone meets up for breakfast, except for the one person “murdered”. Everyone then takes place in an activity to raise the winning prize amount, knowing full well there’s 3 Traitors amongst them. 

At the end of that day, everyone takes a vote, to choose a player to be “banished”. Whoever gets the most votes is banished immediately, aka removed from the game, and they have to reveal to everyone if they are Faithful, or a Traitor. And the process then continues. If by the end of the game, there is any Traitors remaining, they alone will take the entire prize fund. The Faithful will get nothing. 

What makes this so addictive, is watching how people quickly get suspicious of other people, and jump to the completely wrong conclusions. The Traitors have to subtly push suspicion onto the Faithful, to avoid being voted out at the Banishment stage. But quite often, the Faithful bare a grudge against people for legitimately no reason, leading to some absolutely hilarious reactions. 

I’m 5 episodes in to the first series, and I just can’t get enough of it. To say anymore would spoil the surprise of what’s happened so far. But yeah, it’s really bloody good.

You’re right, it’s definitely a take on Werewolf, I played that myself many years ago, and enjoyed it. For me, the entertainment value in Traitors is watching a group of total strangers, fuck each other over. It’s the blind confidence in their theories that is hilarious, as it leads to other people jumping on the bandwagon,without really thinking things through. 
One player recently won a ‘Shield’ in a hidden event, nobody knew who got it, only that person. The purpose of the shield was that it prevents that player from being murdered, however it doesn’t protect them from being banished. A vote to banish someone was taken later that day, and you can probably guess exactly how that went 😄

By funny coincidence I watched 8 episodes of Traitors last night myself. It’s a cross between Among Us and Big Brother. Complete strangers spend 5 minutes with each other then act like they’ve lost or have been betrayed by life long friends. Then covers of famous songs play.

From episode 2 I began skipping forward through sections of tedium, of which there are many. Like the morning after someone is killed off it’s revealed by who doesn’t attend breakfast and gradually they come in to the dining room every few minutes until they’re all in and it’s obvious who is gone. Zero suspense, just get on with it!

The games they play to add to the final cash prize have also been quite shit. The contestants themselves look like the money wouldn’t make much difference to them. The few I looked up seem pretty well off.

When series 2 starts soon and everyone is banging on about it like last year don’t feel like you’re missing out. 

Watched Fool me Once on Netflix to see what the fuzz is about. Unfortunately I couldn't really find the fuzz because I didn't enjoy this at all. It's a mystery thriller for mystery's sake, in the sense that it drops any kind of logic and believability to accommodate a series of fakeouts and cliffhangers, making the entire plot feel both unnecessary convoluted and artificially constructed. There's a good chance it would completely fall apart if I watched it again with the knowledge of its ending and being 8 episodes long it also felt rather drawn out. On the plus side, it at least introduced me to a couple of good British actors I wasn't familiar with before (the cop and the sister's husband were great I think).

(Haven't read the book, so I can't say if this is a close adaptation or not)

I finished my night shift and started watching Mr Bates Vs. The Post Office at 8am. Couldn’t stop and binged the lot. Fuming from e1 tbh. Great tv. Saw a lot of the same crap I did when working for the environment agency from 2007 when it became under the Conservatives in 2010. Just people put in positions on huge wages that are clueless but assumed to be worth their weight in tax payers gold.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Star Trek Prodigy, which got recently picked up by Netflix. Didn't even know this was a thing until I saw the game pop up on the eShop last year. This was surprisingly good. It starts off as a bit of a goofy kids show but slowly matures into a proper sci-fi story with some interesting plot developments. As I'm not a Trekkie I can't say where or how this fits into the larger canon, but there are quite a few homages and crossovers in there as well. There's a new season coming this year, supposedly, but this first one works well as a standalone experience, too. Also shoutouts to its opening credits, really beautifully done, haven't skipped them once.

• 4 weeks later...

Closing in on the finish line with Better Call Saul (think we have 4 episodes left which we're gonna binge later) this last season in particular has been top banana but the whole thing has been excellent... so much so that i think we're going to rewatch Breaking Bad straight after to see how well it holds up.

I'm in two minds over which is better. There's some seasons where it really felt like it was playing for time and felt a bit dragged out, but it's also a show that doesn't have a single weak character in it I think. Whereas you can't say that about Breaking Bad at all.

It didn't win any awards but probably should have for Rhea Seehorn this year