passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

Come On Die Young by Mogwai. I was about 16, just left school and was feeling very bored of listening to the same sort of music all the time. So I went to the reviews section of Kerrang and picked one of their reviews. It couldn't be 5* because Kerrang couldn't really be trusted, and it was going to be one of their 2 paragraph reviews.

I'd never heard anything like it. It's still probably my favourite album and now, if anything, I'm frustrated that I listen to so much instrumental music

What's everyone's best random music buy? I bought Aenima by Tool on a random when i was 15. The music equivalent of buying a car, taking home and finding a million quid in the boot. An album an a half.

That's a fucking great question Duck.

I was same in HMV just I was at the Hip Hop section and every single album had the round IMPORT sticker on it and they were twice as expensive as everything else. Back then every purchase was a gamble, I mean I used to 'tape' Yo! MTV raps and hear one song and pray that HMV would eventually get the album but yeah, every now and then a cover would just grab you and you couldnt help but fixate on it untill one day it's in your hand and your at the cash desk.

I think mine was probably 6 Feet Deep by Gravediggaz (which I've just started listening to again). The covered looked awesome and I liked the font in which the album and group name were written ( :)), turns out it's still one of my favorite albums of all time. I'd heard 1-800-Suicide before but didn't know it was Gravediggaz so that was a nice surprise.

If we're going just based on cover alone, mine would be Sigor Ros ().

It sounds stupid now they've had decent success, but when that album came out no one had heard of them. I used to see it in the likes of hmv quite a lot but it would always be in a different sections, no one seemed to know how to classify them.

Anyway the cover was a pearlescent grey thing, absolutely no details on it, but it had a sleeve with the () cut out so you could see the grey blankness underneath. It took me months to risk getting it and about 5 minutes to decide it was amazing

Yeah, 10-15 years ago in Aberdeen's HMV basically all the ground floor was CDs. Now its just a small section upstairs right at the back. Tech has got to move on I guess. The discover playlist thing Spotify does every week is probably the closest thing I'll get to random music listening/buying again.

On topic, Eric Prydz's new album is out and I like it a lot. Especially the second half.

• 4 weeks later...

Been listening to a lot of Yppah recently. Kinda guitar led IDM.

Still listening to Gates almost everyday as well. Post-Rock/Emo band. Their album is a rare one too where I think I like every song on it.

• 2 weeks later...

When I posted this song in the best albums of 2015 I had to use a video with an old Mad Max playing in the background. Over a year since they released that EP they decide to release a video for it. Better later than never...

It's a good one, so I'll let them off.

I've been listening to Major Lazer's last album 'Peace Is The Mission' (Album Playlist) in the gym a bit recently. I don't like much of their stuff from before this, but I do like this album.

Their youtube channel has some really stylish Lyric videos for a bunch of their songs from the album. I really like the way they look.

All My Love (feat. Ariana Grande & Machel Montano)

Night Riders (feat. Travi$ Scott, 2 Chainz, Pusha T, & Mad Cobra)

• 5 weeks later...

The last 2-3 weeks of decent bands releasing albums has been nuts but I'm not sure if any of them are that good. 

But Ive been listening to a lot of The Dear Hunter..

Prog rock band that I heard about because Gates were bigging them up. They sound abit Coheed and Cambria in parts and their albums have 'stories' like they do. But musical they're a lot more varied. 

It's been a bit of a mixed bag in terms of quality though. Apparently the Deftones new one is good, not heard that yet. The new Frightened Rabbit album is good based on my first few listens 

Yndi Halda released one of my favourite albums 10 years ago, they released a follow up last month and I'm not sure I'm feeling it. It's not the same sort of music, it and them are 10 years down the line, so it's less post rock. There's a song that sounds like Bill Callahan, something that sounds like Frog. I suspect it's fine, good even, just not what I wanted. 

Explosions in the Sky similar. I've never been the biggest fan, I do like them, but I like the stuff their fans generally don't. Their new one probably needs time, some of it sounds very Explosions, other bits weak electric. Hopefully it grows on me 

There's some good stuff on the new Explosions album but it's weird that the tracks are so much shorter than what they used to do.

I've been listening to Biffy a lot recently so I'm looking forward to the new album.

Yeah the first track sounds like it has bits of Mogwai Fear Satan in it. I really like the more electronic tunes on this one over the more traditional guitar tracks. Scram and U-235 are my favourites so far.

Been listening to Kevin Morby's album Singing Saw. He's in the band Woods, if you know them, kind of a psychedelic rock band.

This is one of the singles from the album. But most of it is quieter singer-songwriter stuff, it's great.

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

Yeah the first track sounds like it has bits of Mogwai Fear Satan in it. I really like the more electronic tunes on this one over the more traditional guitar tracks. Scram and U-235 are my favourites so far.

You might like Rave Tapes than. I don't hate it, it might be my least favourite Mogwai album, although I forgot Hardcore Will Never Die existed until I read back through this thread, but it's more electronic. It always sounded a bit empty to me, different tastes though, I can't knock Mogwai for mixing it up, it's commendable that they can every album

I've given the Yndi Halda (Under Summer) album a few more listens after a bit of a gap. I think the space has helped it because I do like it now. It's more about movements, like the song I'm listening to now, This Very Flight(posted below if youtube works on the new forum), it's multiple different things, including some upbeat folk

Yeah I really like Rave Tapes. I saw them

on the tour for that album so I'm glad I got to see them do the electronic stuff live. "Remurderd" from that album is one of my favourite tracks of theirs, full stop. It just sounds so evil.