passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bioshock 2

Hendo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2K Games forums are ablaze with Bioshock 2 news from the latest issue of Game Informer, with 2 player co-op and a distinct lack of Big Daddies among the game's new features.

According to forum posters, Bioshock 2 takes place 7 years after the original game, with protagonist Jack Abbott chasing the Big Sister who kidnapped his daughter all the way to Rapture. I say the Big Sister, as there is reportedly only one in the game, who acts as the mastermind behind the plot of the game. Rapture has been flooded, opening new areas while changing the dynamics of previous levels, with a fully explorable zoo and underwater exploration levels. They also make a big deal about a fight with a giant squid boss, though if my memory serves me correctly, every game ever created has a giant squid boss.

Of course the biggest two pieces of news are the inclusion of 2-player co-operative play, and the removal of the first game's iconic enemy, the Big Daddy. I suppose it makes sense that they'd be gone now...I just have my doubts that spliced up dogs, Cold War era soviets, and bipedal robots can make up for his absence.

From Kotaku

A distinct lack of Big Daddies, Kotaku?

You play as a Big Daddy

Yes, finally, we can tell you that you play as a Big Daddy in BioShock 2.

Subs issues of Game Informer have hit, confirming that you take control of the first gigantic walking chap thing, have changeable weapons for your arm and new, mutated plasmids.

You can now adopt Little Sisters, as well as either killing them or saving them.

There’s more on Shacknews, which is a culmination of stuff from the Gamespot forums and NeoGAF. It’s unconfirmed as yet, but it’s true, if you know what we mean.

Big Daddy and multiplayer confirmed

2K Marin give you control of a Big Daddy roaming Rapture in the upcoming BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

You're not just any Big Daddy though - you're the very first one, and you've somehow acquired the ability to inject plasmids, like Jack in the first game.

Unlike the first game though, you will choose between harvesting a Little Sister for ADAM and adopting her, after which you will have to protect her while she harvests ADAM from corpses strewn around Andrew Ryan's failed utopia.

As previously leaked, you're up against the Big Sister, who has been kidnapping little girls from coastal towns and bringing them to Rapture.

The game will also feature multiplayer, although there are no details on that side of the game yet.

All that's courtesy of a Game Informer preview hitting subscriber's hands in the US at the moment, but it's also courtesy of our own recent trip to see BioShock 2 in action at 2K Marin's headquarters just outside San Francisco. Due to the nature of print and online embargoes, you'll have to wait a few weeks longer to read our and other internet thoughts, but they are coming.

We can also tell you that rumours of Soviets, co-op and, er, rhinos are wide of the mark. We'll get in trouble if we spill any other beans, but hey, we like getting in trouble, so we will say this: that Bouncer drill's a bit of a riot.

I'm still erect and ready to fap but I don't have much hope for the multiplayer.

"you will have to protect her while she harvests ADAM from corpses"

I might save myself a lot of stress and just give this a miss completely. Not that im actually writing it off already, could be good. It's being very missold though

GTFO, go on, back to your sonic thread.

It would be quite nice for them to confirm one or two of the basics with this game, but all in good time.

No longer "Sea of Dreams"

2K Games has snipped the subtitle Sea of Dreams from BioShock 2.

There's no explanation, according to Kotaku. Perhaps the acronym "SOD" proved unfavourable.

Earlier this week we found out that BioShock 2 casts players as the very first Big Daddy. He can inject plasmids, however, and will choose between protecting or harvesting Little Sisters: girls stolen from nearby coastal towns by new evil-doer, the Big Sister.

Not much of a news update, but there we go.

Turns out the subtitle was never dropped from the title at all. Hmmmm.

Also, Ken Levine has been talking about his next game:

2K Boston creative chief Ken Levine is "champing at the bit" to talk about his next game, which features a type of gameplay "completely new" to him and his team.

"2K Boston is focused on our next project, which will probably come as a huge surprise to our audience and yet at the same time will make total sense once they see it. I will say that we're clicking on all cylinders," Levine told GameSpot.

"Besides delivering on the narrative experience we're known for, it will include a type of gameplay that is completely new to us - something the BioShock team has never really explored in depth before. In all areas (art, design, and programming), we spend half our day being totally psyched, and half our day wondering what we've gotten ourselves into. We're kind of humbled by the challenge.

"In the end, our new project is something we're champing at the bit to talk about," he said. "But we're not showing it to anybody and won't be for some time. In fact, the only way to get a look at it is to interview for a job with us."

Levine said there will be a "gaggle" of 2K Boston staff heading to the Game Developers Conference this week, sporting "Be big in Boston" t-shirts as they hunt for the "many more" developers needed to bring the next project to fruition.

Those attending won't be there to talk about the game, however, although Levine said there "may be some cool things" leaked.

"Something that will bring a small smile to old-school fans of the company," he explained. "Not a product announcement, but something they'll dig. I don't want to over-promise here, but we're psyched to roll it out."

Levine and team, incidentally, are "not involved in any way" with BioShock 2, which launches on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC later this year.

"It's entirely in 2K Marin's capable hands," reiterated Levine. "Frankly, I'm trying to keep myself at a distance from it so I, like all the other fans out there, can play it fresh when it's done."

"you will have to protect her while she harvests ADAM from corpses"

I might save myself a lot of stress and just give this a miss completely. Not that im actually writing it off already, could be good. It's being very missold though

It's the first time I have been in this thread, but I am not going to follow this at all, because I am hoping that if I know nothing of the game, it might actually turn out to be good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this for some reason. I think it looks amazing!

I do think there is a danger of it over-doing some of Bioshocks quirks and diluting them, and reading the preview on Eurogamer it says that Big Sister is hunting you throughout the game which sadly reminds me of Resident Evil 3, but I still remain firmly strapped in to the hype train, except for my hand which is ringing the bell like mad.

Cannae wait. :)