passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

XBL Indie Games

Hendo

Tried some of these this morning and I seriously recommend everyone takes a look.

A bit convoluted but here's what you have to do:

Go to the Marketplace, New Arrivals.

Find "XNA Creators Club" and download it.

Go to your library and find the XNA tab.

Press Y and start downloading the demos.

Everyone needs to play The Dishwasher!

It's like a 2D Devil May Cry, or more violent and gory Viewtiful Joe or Alien Hominid. Brilliant art style, very slick. I'll be definitely picking up the final version.

Culture is um, a bit unique but ultimately boring. It looks pretty and it's nice someone's trying something different but it's very tedious.

Jelly Car is a fantastic little game, another ace art style and kinda reminded me of LittleBigPlanet with it's physics.

Haven't tried any others yet. Each one seems to be a 17 day trial.

Yeah, I listened to the whole Microsoft GDC conference today, as that's all this weeks Major Nelson podcast is, and they sound very interesting. They had the guy behind Dishwasher on, and how his life has been pretty much transformed thanks to XBOX.

JimboXiii wrote:

i'm gonna have a go at programming a game later in the year, i've no idea how to do it yet, buti've made it my mission to learn how, any suggestion on what it could be?

I don't know what it could be, but what I do know, is that you should first define what you intent to do. Publish it in XNA? Or just make a game for yourself?

A nice way for you to get into games would be to go there first.

http://www.clickteam.com/eng/prodindex.php

This is the software I use for all my programming projects. I've done various things in the past with this, from an MP3 player to an XML parsing screen saver to a custom web-browser and some basic games, including my big project game I'm still working on (Frag-A-thak2).

Don't be fooled by the "create games without programming" thing they advertise. It is programming. It's just that instead of typing the code yourself, it's object oriented with each object having their own functions and actions. You still need to "program" your stuff, as in, "code" all behaviors for all your objects.

It's pretty powerful, and you can compile into internet applications, standard applications or screen savers. Upcoming updates will also allow you to compile it as a java application, which is very nice as it means your stuff will be multi-platform.

I personnaly use the Developper version of the software. http://www.clickteam.com/eng/mmf2dev.php

Hendo wrote:

Everyone needs to play The Dishwasher!

It's like a 2D Devil May Cry, or more violent and gory Viewtiful Joe or Alien Hominid. Brilliant art style, very slick. I'll be definitely picking up the final version.

Had a go on this earlier, I immidiately likened it to Alien Homonid. Its good fun i must say, but I didnt think it was absolutely fantastic. Its slick and easy to control no doubt, but the drab pallet and button bashing took something away.

Seems like there will be alot of game there tho, tons of levels.

Well I was mega impressed cos it seems to have been made by just one guy.

The only thing about it I think needs changing is the comic style intros, the text and dialogue is pretty bad and I don't think it's as clear as it should be for what's going on in the strip.

The game itself I think is brilliant.

I've tried all the games now and they all feel like flash games but bearing in mind that they're made by people learning their craft, it's still pretty impressive.

I think I'd only buy The Dishwasher and JellyCar though.

On the topic of making one, I'd love to have a bash but if it's all coding then no chance. If it was using a building blocks kind of thing then I'd give it a go.

Yesterday's announcement of XNA Community Games was exciting, but it wasn't exactly heavy on answers. Today Joystiq sat with a breakfast table full of Microsoft bigwigs and pummeled them until they gave up the information below:

Only members of XNA Creators Club will be able to upload games to the service. They'll also make up the review squad for games that will vet them for IP infringement, adult content, etc.

Games will not be rated by any body like the ESRB, but those groups have been asked for their opinion on Microsoft's rating system.

Microsoft's not talking about how the system will be monetized (or even if it will) while they're in this beta phase.

Games will be on the Marketplace blade, but you'll also be able to search a web page for games that you'd like to play. Creators will be able to post comments about their games as well as downloadable videos.

At the moment, the file size limit of games is 150 MB, but Microsoft is open to increasing that if need be.

Both silver and gold members of Xbox Live will be able download XNA games.

Microsoft isn't particularly worried about XNA cannibalizing XBLA sales. As Xbox Live VP John Schappert said, "I think at the end of the day, empowering consumers to create their own games is better overall. I think it will be a nice compliment.

At the moment, you won't be able to see what your friends are playing, but that's something Microsoft would like to fix.

There won't be any Achievements on XNA.

Creators will be able to choose which regions they want their work in.

Creators will retain the rights to their work.

No achievements?! its just not right!

• 8 months later...

Ive decided to make a topic for community games, since they all come out on the 19th November, there is a fair few

All these games are made by XNA and are rated by the fellow community, if they are glitchy well blame "yourself"

Ive tried 3 today

Colleseum

Funky Punch XL

Artoon

Artoon is most popular atm followed by colleseum

Colleseum is like a hack and slash game but cel shaded, u get to create ur own charcters and earn money to make em look better n better weapons n armour. Rather in depth it has 4 rage powers which makes the fightin better, i wasnt expeecting it from a community game. But it felt rather sluggish when i played and i didnt play long coz it had a time limit and i spent most my time creating a person - Cost 800MS to buy

Funky Punch XL is a fighting game and has random dance moves thrown in it, all i can say is dont get it >_< its a horrible fighter, glitchy and looks poo - 400MS

Artoon tho is a puzzle game based around getting high scores, each level is done with a different "art" making it look visually nice. You bounce round on different tiles and make them ur colour, and there are tiles u have to bounce now n then to make it countdown so u can change it to ur colour, also theres "low" bouncing which is apparently for experts to get "style" points which helps majorly on the score. multiplayers also counts but if u bounce on one which u already have u lose it. Its actually a really good game and im not suprised that this would be first and it also have achievements! only 8 tho and i cant see what they are unless you buy the game but its only 400MS points! Im really tempted and i might as well... i got spare 7050 atm...

Im hoping for dishwasher to make an early release

:D

I knew there was one of these topics somewhere.

I downloaded quite a few but I've only tried out one, probably the weirdest - In The Pit.

Ben will recognise the concept....a game with no graphics, where you play purely with sound and touch (or vibration). I turned it off during the tutorial as it was hard for me to play as I don't use headphones and just using the speaker set up from my TV isn't probably ideal.

Good experiment though.

Oh, I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard that The Dishwasher has been picked up by a publisher so will be a proper XBLA game at some point.

Artoon is pretty fun, not worth a purchase though IMO.

I played some Geometry Wars type thing (Forgotten the name, though, e-mail something?) and it was pretty damn fun. It's more level based than Geo Wars, and you get little ally ships. The controls are nowhere near as fluid as Geo Wars, though.

I played a party game called Beat It!, like a combo of Bop It and Wario Ware, not very good, I though the controls were pretty awful TBH.

I need to play some more, but from what I've seen of the Community Games, I commend the makers for what they're doing. but I don't think there's gonna be many that warrant a purchase.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking at the Community games recently and have downloaded the trials for Miner Dig Deep, Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp, Zoomaroom and Hangman.

Hangman isn't great, but Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp is well worth a download of the demo. It's a single screen platform-puzzler and looks very retro.

Haven't tried the others yet, but Zoomaroom is meant to be a kind of Community answer to LittleBigPlanet and Miner's Dig Deep is Dig Dug crossed with an RPG.

Also will be buying Remote Masseuse for a little fun. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as I seem to be the only one interested in these indie games (though I don't blame anyone, MS doesn't do a very good job at advertising them) I thought I'd update the original post with recommended games and prices, like the iGames thread.

I bought Miner : Dig Deep in the end for 200 points and it's a brilliant game, a highly inventive take on Dig Dug.

Also by the same guy (I think) is ZSX4 Guitarpocalypse and ZP2K9.

ZSX4's full name is actually "Zombie Smashers X4 : Guitarpocalypse!". It's basically a Smash Bros. clone with crudely drawn MS Paint style graphics, where you fight up to 3 other people by hitting them over the head with your guitar. But yeah, it's Smash Bros.

ZP2K9 is an FPS deathmatch but put into a side scrolling platform view. I'm sure I've played something like this before, but even still you don't come across something like this every day. You can play it online in the full version or add in bots in the trial. It also has team deathmatch and CTF modes.

The game I most want to recommend though, is Groov, which was mentioned on last week's ListenUp podcast.

It's also 200 points and is Geometry Wars mixed with Rez - it's maybe a lazy description but it fits really well.

It's a GW style twin stick shooter but the different enemy types will produce a musical note of an instrument when they explode. You fire piano-esque notes with your ship, and there's enemies that sound like guitar strums, trumpets, deep sub-bass, snare hits, etc. The worst one I think is the speech which is far too close to the old school cheesy electro samples.

To make sure it doesn't turn into an absolute mess of sound, when you shoot enemies they turn white and then properly die when it's on the beat. You can also slow down the tune and the enemies with the right trigger, which is very cool.

There's only 3 modes, with essentially one tune that's remixed for each mode, but at 200 points it's a steal.

groov sounded great untill i saw the video, where the gameplay looked exactly like geometry wars, still probably pick it up for 200 points, anyone interested in it might want to check out riff: everyday shooter on psn, it does a similar thing with the sound effects/music, and it's awesome.

i'm looking forward to the new shooter on community games, think it's called duality zf? was supposed to be out a few weeks ago but they keep delaying it to add extra modes and tweek things, hopefully it will be good.