passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

one-armed dwarf

The exclusivity thing was partially retracted 

https://www.eurogamer.net/final-fantasy-7-remake-trilogy-confirmed-as-playstation-console-exclusive#:~:text=ORIGINAL STORY 8.14pm%3A Sony,trilogy a PlayStation console exclusive.

And the adverts had a thing saying Rebirth was only exclusive for 3 months. Which is still really weird to me. 

I only played FF16 up to where you meet Cid but even based on that I felt like it was the best one since like, FF9 or something. But maybe that’s just me who thinks that. I don’t remember what the response to the game was like. But I thought that would have made new fans. It’s really good.

FFXVI is a game of insane highs, terrific characterisations, and lows that threaten the Mariana trench with characters so boring they make you want to go on lexapro

That said, I think they had the right idea with the game, a clear break from recent tradition with a mesh of both western styles and Japanese (to me it felt less like GoT specifically than it did a flavour of the Ivalice games with some more adult themes in line with something like GoT). But man, the MMO team have a particular pattern of pacing a story and it sure as hell was boring enough when Realm Reborn did it. 

Generally speaking, the sentiment on the game is fairly negative, unfortunately though that means the game isn't given much credit for the really good things it does (I think its boss encounter design is super underrated, and it does a great job of mixing in new gimmicks with its control schemes and ways of negotiating combat, you can see the convergence of the team's different experiences with MMO raids and character action), but it forms part of the overall impression of where this series currently is. 

Blacksmith Blues XVI 

edit XIV is definitely the most popular current FF I'd say, and did bring new people on board, but brought them on board to FFXIV in particular cause MMOs are just such a different thing. Like it's a social outlet for some people, you almost can't compare it on the same level, and even at that the game is going through a bit of an attention drought as people leave the game post-Endwalker. Funnily enough in the same position as MCU post-Endgame

I found FF16 to be so very, very boring. Godawful side quests, a tedious main villain, I’ve already forgotten most of it, and it was less than a year ago that I finished it. It’s not a terrible game, but when people were proclaiming it to be “Game of the Year”, it just left me thinking “Really?”.

Hopefully the renewed success/popularity of the recent Persona games, in comparison to FF. Might lead Square not to be so dismissive about returning to TBC. Innovation is still achievable there without just tossing Turn Based aside completely in favour of Action RPG's.

Well on that note I recommend that maf tries to play through FFXVI so he can discuss something Game of Thrones adjacent with his PT who he struggles to strike up a conversation with. Dazzle him with the spectacular tale of Clive farming 5 rancid rat arses in the wilderness for 5 hours until the next spectacular Eikon battle occurs

I actually do think Square should revisit an earlier battle system for XVII though, in fact I think Rebirth shows good evidence of how improved a game can be by iterating on past concepts (iterating on Remake). Like, try out XII's system again, or X's.

17 minutes ago, OCH said:

Hopefully the renewed success/popularity of the recent Persona games, in comparison to FF. Might lead Square not to be so dismissive about returning to TBC. Innovation is still achievable there without just tossing Turn Based aside completely in favour of Action RPG's.

Hear hear! 

VII Remake and Rebirth combat is fantastic though. Favourite modern action combat in a JRPG by a huge margin. 

16 hours ago, Nag said:

They should just remake VIII with super pretty graphics... winner

Arguably, that's all those who asked for it wanted from remaking FF7, to be fair. Objectively, no one wanted the expanded universe shite shoehorned into the main game, at least. Potential remakes of FF6, FF8 and FF9 are lucky because they don't have any of that.

Surely that is Cloud. Unable to read social cues, particularly wrt interest shown from women, hyperfixated on boring minutae like the rules of a card game and Junon's capacity as a military bulwark rather than normie shit like a good place to eat, keeps repeating what other people say ('reunion')

21 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Surely that is Cloud. Unable to read social cues, particularly wrt interest shown from women, hyperfixated on boring minutae like the rules of a card game and Junon's capacity as a military bulwark rather than normie shit like a good place to eat, keeps repeating what other people say ('reunion')

Fair point.