passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

one-armed dwarf

I knew it was from gaelic myth because of this guy from SMT:

SMT-V-CAIT-SITH.jpeg

I didn't know about the pronunciation until a few years ago.

It's not really a case of being mad about it, its just interesting.  It's not that surprising they went with Kate Sith over Kat Shee since nearly every English speaker will have called him that.

I'm not trying to be the twitter-take merchant here but I don't think the angry people are angry about FFVII in particular, moreso the way people's reactions to Square's decision here sometimes resemble a pretty dismissive and mocking attitude to people's sensitivities on cultural erasure. Given that these are languages where their expression was once upon a time outlawed (not sure what the Scot equivalent is but in Ireland we had the Penal Laws), leading to a difficulty in their preservation, when people make a mockery over the way people care about pronunciations in non-English language I can see why some would be pissed off. Max really put his foot in it over and over on twitter, people are imo overly precious about FFVII (pot kettle black, I know)

For this character in particular I don't really care anyway as I always called Cait Sith 'benchwarmer', because they fucking suck. I think my main takeaway is twitter and similar online spaces are pretty exhausting to look at, original take I know.

But yeah I don't think it's that strange that Square went with an anglicised pronunciation. 

I’m from Ireland and always called him Cait (Kate) Sith, like they said. Seems a leap to call him anything other than that to me.

Although I haven’t played a jrpg with English audio for years. Seems like standard that they come with Japanese audio now.

On 04/10/2023 at 11:43, one-armed dwarf said:

Really tho makes me think why the fuck we can't call her Aeris. 'Aerith' still fucks me up

The Aeris (romanisation of 'Heiress') vs Aerith (anagram of 'Earth') thing is still so weird.

Meanwhile, apparently this robot cat naming convention is the newest thing Twitter/X gets mad about too:

Isnt the aeries pronounciation just a translation issue from the initial localisation. 

Was always meant to be aerith but translators didnt have all info from square and just assumed the su sound at end of japanese name ended with an S rather than th. 

It was just a translation decision with Aeris/Aerith.  People keep referring it to a error but it's totally a valid way of interpretating it especially when the localisers often had zero context for what they were translating back then (what Snag said, took too long posting)

With Cait Sith going by Max's video it sounds like the weebs have been muddying the waters for so long.  I can understand why they'd be ignored because they're often like any localisation is censorship, worship the superior nihongo.  Cait Sith's character does derive from the Celtic myth when you look into it, it's not just the name.  I'm pretty sure they don't butcher any of the summons they have so I guess it's still a weird choice to go with this anglicised version the more I think about it.

I dunno, you could call this one a butchering lol

(Cúchulainn)

Cuslayshound.jpg

C%3Fchulainn-ffxii-battle.webp

It's not new in that sense. Well, FFVII came out before FFXII but it didn't have voice acting back then

The thing that tires me moreso is the constant 'strawmanning' that goes on with these arguments (talking about twitter). Like imo, it's perfectly fine to not care that much about all this. Maybe it's even the most correct response. But people get so fucking weird about it and try to oversimplify where one side might be coming from with how they feel about things like this, and turn the whole thing into an exhausting white noise. Online turns everything into a competition to be the most correct, while representing the other side to be blithering idiots. It's fine to not always have a hot take about something and just ignore it all, IMO

That Max video is actually decent at trying to contextualise the thing as best as a dude like Max can figure out, I suppose. 

• 2 months later...

Bugenhagen and Dyne look really good and Dio looks exactly how I imagined he would😄

That bit of dialogue from Cid sounded way off though. He is supposed to be a gruff, cantankerous bastard in this game.

I'm trying to think of an RPG (or FF, specifically) wherein the main POV character is the white mage? Garnet in FF9 is probably the closest to that. Except she is also a summoner, so at least interesting. Unlike Aeris.