passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid: Dread

mmmark

8 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Someone might have to spoil me on what is the spoiler in that video then cause I'm confused

I think you said it yourself when you said it’s the first ten minutes of the game 😅

I didn't say that, said it was 10 minutes of running around corridors. Loads up at a checkpoint. The save file does have 10 minutes on it though lol so it's the second 10 minutes of the game then 🤣

Anyway don't watch it then, you can picture the 4k 60 corridors in your mind. Take my word for it, they are bootiful, everyone says so. The best corridors

38 minutes ago, OCH said:

I was quite annoyed earlier. When I was looking for sound bites for this weeks Hot Topic on YouTube and, completely unrelated to the Mario Warp pipe noise, was a Metroid Dread boss fight video. The thumbnail alone revealing/spoiling a boss encounter I didn't even know was in the game. 

People online who ruin stuff for views are such utter tossers...

Yeah, that's why I said stay clear of youtube, the algorithm just screws you over. I haven't clicked on a Metroid-related video since the E3 trailer for Dread just to make sure. 

Go on a My Little Pony marathon, that'll throw them off your scent.

• 3 weeks later...

In a very unusual Nintendo move, they released a demo for this. 

Which is a good thing, because all those idiots online who think this is somehow not worth their money or their time can now see that it's better than the garbage from EA or UbiSoft they're playing right now.

(No, I'm not angry.)

And @one-armed dwarf has no excuse now either anymore.

It's hard to say because no other publisher releases games like this with that level of polish. I feel like the last "2.5D" game that looked and played this good was DK Tropoical Freeze, which was also full price. Plus this had a four year development cycle, which is just one year short of Breath of the Wild's production, for example. 

Reused assets throughout. Especially the enemies which are basically just colour changes with same or very similar attack patterns.

Small number of environments with basic looking environments. None actually look special or have any areas which look particularly unique.

Small number of cut scenes and no voice acting - not saying this is a bad thing. Just would have been a lot cheaper than basically any other game since they didn’t have to pay for that stuff.

No time spent on any accessibility options. Not a personal issue but another sign of “cheapness” and one many have complained about with this game.

Low effort soundtrack.

I really enjoyed the game, loved it even. But I’d have felt ripped off compared to other experiences if I couldn’t sell it on. 

& I say all this, but honestly I’d rather have games like this exist and get ripped off than them no exist at all. Doesn’t mean the complaint shouldn’t be made though. 

DK Tropical Freeze felt a lot more expensive than this to me. I think that was mostly worth the money. 

That looks like a product review for a washing machine. Does it have a mode for silk? Does it have an eco mode? How often does it beep after it has finished?

I'd rather evaluate the experience I had with the game and from my point of view neither of these things had a negative impact on how it plays or how much I enjoyed it. Bar the soundtrack, I agree that it's definitely not particularly good or memorable compared to the OSTs of Super or Prime and the game would have been better with such tunes.

Just saying it feels like a budget game in a lot of ways. I’ve had better experiences with much cheaper games & similarly priced games so that doesn’t really come into it. Those parts mentioned were all things that effected my enjoyment too. 

Rip off was a bit harsh though. 

On 28/10/2021 at 12:57, mfnick said:

Reused assets throughout. Especially the enemies which are basically just colour changes with same or very similar attack patterns.

Small number of environments with basic looking environments. None actually look special or have any areas which look particularly unique.

Small number of cut scenes and no voice acting - not saying this is a bad thing. Just would have been a lot cheaper than basically any other game since they didn’t have to pay for that stuff.

No time spent on any accessibility options. Not a personal issue but another sign of “cheapness” and one many have complained about with this game.

Low effort soundtrack.

A lot of these points are complete bollocks tbf. I agree the soundtrack should be more bombastic though.

How so? 

People say certain games aren’t worth their price tags all the time without much blowback. Don’t get what’s so different about this. Apart from it being Nintendo… 

Any other game like this Id say wait for a sale and leave it at that but it’s a Nintendo game so we know it won’t go on sale so can only say I think it’s overpriced but still great and worth getting. Especially so if you can sell on afterwards. 

The way I look at it, the previous game was, what, £30-35 on the 3DS, and that was great, definitely didn't feel ripped off paying £30. This is a better looking, slightly more advanced game in a lot of ways, and it cost £10 more?

Not to compare the two platform holders, as much as anything because comparing 1 example doesn't really prove anything (and I think Nintendo take the piss more than the others), but I've a harder time accepting Returnal's price than Metroid, and I'm sure they're both great games

eye of the beholder and all that I guess