passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Greedfall

bellow

Been playing this on PlayStation now, and really enjoying the experience. I'd never even heard of it, to be honest. But I was looking for an RPG after playing a few back to back shooters, and just saw it getting talked about on an Xbox YouTube channel when it went to gamepass.

Talk about hidden gem. I love it. I love the world, the combat (I've gone melee, because I wanted a bit of swordplay after all the shooting), and the quests are weighty and multi tiered in a way that reminds me of those excellent 'short story' type quests in Fallout 3.

Opened up quite a bit of the world just doing the first main quest (after the opening titles which, hilariously, took about 4 hours to get to). Plus I've managed loads of interesting side quests, and happened upon a couple of dangerous creatures in the very well structured exploration.

I just wonder why I'd never heard of it. Then again, I have been in something of a Switch bubble for the last 3 years. So it might be that.

It's Spider's best game for sure and shows that they're only a couple of Budget-Euros away from being able to play in the big RPG league.

One issue I had with the game is that exploration is futile. Unique spots you might find when running around are usually reserved for side or main quests, so the game will eventually send you there anyway. It also runs out of steam later on unfortunately. But the first 15 hours are really good and I love the opening in the city. It's a great way to ease you into its lore and spread around the mystery of the island.

I think it also has the most fun combat I've seen in a real-time West-RPG. For me that's not saying much as I hate most WRPG combat but this one's genuinely fun. You absolutely need to focus on two disciplines though. I'd recommend either Melee and Gunplay or Magic and Gunplay. Basically you need to use guns is what I'm saying.

Yeah, the combat is very enjoyable, a sort of Witcher/Fable cross. Personally I'm supercharging my swordplay (I'm close to a 'fury' technique on the sword line, so I'm looking forward to seeing what that brings to the party) while keeping my guns tasty, and having a sideline in laying traps.

Now that I'm wielding slow but powerful longswords I also like to start a fight with a swift flat boot to the tender regions of my opponent. Always catches them off guard, that one.

• 2 weeks later...

40 hours on and I'm done. Great game I thought, and I never really felt it flagging after the 15 hour mark like @Maryokutai. Sure, there were a few annoying quests that had you bouncing back and forth, unnecessarily, between NPC's, but they were minimal, thankfully. It was such a great world to run around in, with believable towns and nicely structured rural areas, and well drawn interactions between all the factions. Plus, there was just enough magic and mysticism to keep it in the fantasy yard, without overdoing it and making it silly (like most Jrpgs. Although I'm often in the mood for that brand of silliness).

Yeah. Can't recommend it highly enough, and it's on gamepass and PS now, so there's no excuse?. Must give special mention to way they have your companions reacting to events in this game. It feels very real at times, with one of your followers often pitching in their thoughts on what's just happened in the game, often slanting their advice to sneakily further the interests of their own factions. Maybe it was just well acted, but I felt it was a cut above anything I've experienced with the big hitters of Wrpg's when it comes to followers and companions. Great stuff.

• 4 months later...

Takenl it the XSX version will be updated on 30th too then? I may give it a go if that’s the case. Heard it’s good but it looked very ropey from footage I saw. A SX version might be enough to tempt me. 

So this new edition includes a DLC or something, which I never heard about before. Interesting. Maybe I'll get back to this whenever I have a Series X, I never actually finished it, though it feels like I was close to the finish line.

4K, 60fps and shorter loading times is all this will get btw., no fance new lighting or texture or whatever. Loading times is a nice plus for sure, but visually and performance-wise this was already a robust product on old-gen.

I tried to play this, but it was just a little too janky for me to get into, and it didn't seem very open ended either. There was a section where I had to get into a warehouse by poisoning two guards. Couldn't figure out how to do it but managed to find a back door into the warehouse anyway. Nope, not good enough according to the game. Had to poison them. 

I've tried this a couple of times, albeit noting that I've really enjoyed some of the lower tier RPG over the years (Risen 1 + 2, Elex, Two Worlds 1 & 2, Outward etc) this one doesn't click for some reason that I just can't put my finger on.

I'll probably give it another go, someday.

Gave this a go earlier. Made it passed that extremely late title card. 

Not sure yet. I appreciate what it’s trying to do and I can already tell there’ll be some interesting little side stories but so far it’s just had me running back and forth across the city multiple times. Talk, run to point A, talk, run to point B, talk, run to point A again etc. Never been into old world port city settings either. I’m sure the screenshots and trailers I’d seen were in more traditional fantasy and forest type areas. 

The first boss definitely piqued my interest a bit more though. Hopefully there’s more stuff like that? Combat is simple but fun enough. I went magic since I’ve just done enough sword combat with Sekiro and DMC recently and this wont compare at all, not that’s it’s trying too. Just after something different. 

I loved the prologue but the island definitely has a different rhythm to it. It's still a Spyders game though so you will run around back and forth a lot, despite fast travel getting rid of bigger distances.

That 'running back and forth' thing happened infrequently, but enough to be annoying. Nowhere near as bad as Mass effect Andromeda, where you often had to travel across the galaxy (with all accompanying star travel animations) to hear someone speak a few banal sentences to move on a quest☹️.

It is a bit of a genre staple.

Put a few more hours in, just not for me unfortunately. I’m finding myself groaning at the quests and extra steps it keeps making me do during them rather than being interested and looking forward to them. The setting really isn’t doing it for me. Watched a couple of reviews to be sure and yea don’t think it’s going to be worth me persevering any longer. Ah well.