passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xbox series S: Bottleneck or Masterstroke

bellow

I can't even see why he was upset. He actually said that developers spending time optimising a game for a console which could make them millions in revenue, could be time better spent polishing up the game on the console he'd prefer to play it on.

Anyway. I'm out too. It was good. Thanks for all contributions but you can't judge people's tolerance for vigorous debate on a blind forum. 

Well, it was an interesting read at least.

It's just a reality that cheaper, lower end systems are going to have to exist to have an industry.  If you don't then you have a much smaller market to sell your games to.  You can dream and 'what if' away obstacles having a weaker system but it has to be there.

• 1 month later...

As a coda to this thread, I have to report that my S has been returned to Microsoft and a no quibble refund received.

I stand by my opinion that the S is unlikely to bottle neck development. In fact it seems, if the cyberpunk experience is anything to go by, that each console will fall (or soar) on its own terms when it comes to handling demanding games.

But when my 1080p television took the knock I felt, immediately, that I was undercutting my own experience, especially when it came to backwards compatibility, where the S was limited to one S versions of all Xbox games. Plus, I underestimated the sheer joy of Xbox gamepass, which quickly became my first call when queuing up plans for a week's/months/years gaming.

So now I'm on the lookout for a series X. I'm checking retailers daily but there's no real rush. I've got plenty to keep me busy at this time of year. I won't be going back to Sony, though. That's for certain. One thing that I was seriously Impressed by was the sheer value of what Microsoft are offering. Hopefully I can jump back into it early next year.

I bought the S outright actually, because I was concerned that I might not be using gamepass for extended periods, like when a big Nintendo game came out, or something like Cyberpunk. But I'm more relaxed about just having it running continuously now, so I might do the deal. Depends where I get the chance to grab one.

You know it was my enjoyment of gamepass that made me want to get the best out of xbox gaming. And I already know how big the difference is when using a 4k screen, simply by watching some 4k gaming on YouTube and then comparing it to what the S was delivering. Night and day, really. 

5 minutes ago, bellow said:

Oh no. If I see anything I'll try to post it on the forum. 

Appreciated but by time you’d have posted it’ll be out of stock lol. 
Got a couple of apps/sites which notify me as soon as they’re in stock.  But I’m just not quick or lucky enough. They literally sell out within seconds.  

6 hours ago, bellow said:

I won't be going back to Sony, though. That's for certain. One thing that I was seriously Impressed by was the sheer value of what Microsoft are offering. Hopefully I can jump back into it early next year.

People often forget about it but PS Now has tons (200+ I believe) of Downloadable PS4 games similar to Game Pass. Sony haven’t made a song and dance about it, but it’s there and decent. 

It’s decent but their selection isn’t as good and games aren’t on there for long. Most people I know who have tried it don’t keep their subscription going after the trial. Which is the complete opposite to Game Pass.  

They don’t have to put their 1st party games in their day and date but why not keep their old games like GT Sport and God of War on there? It would make it a lot more enticing. I’d probably have it if they did that. I saw both of those for £7 each this morning. So why not just shove them on there, advertise it a bit and get some subs instead? Nothing to stop them getting some indie games on there day 1 too like MS do. It all makes a difference. 

I do appreciate how much notice they give when games are leaving though. 

I've nothing against Sony, but I've used PlayStation for 15 years and so would probably struggle to get much value from their back catalogue. With Xbox, personally, it's different. Plus there's the Bethesda acquisition - purveyors of my favourite games outside of Nintendo, and the promise of first party titles going to gamepass day one.

Plus, @DisturbedSwan,I've actually given more than a  moment's thought to the idea of sitting out a PlayStation generation then grabbing a PS6 at launch and having 5 years cheap software to get my teeth into.?

This, we call the 'long game!'

My kids don't really care much for playing on the latest games, the have been enjoying picking through the things on gamepass. If I were to get another console, I'd pick up an S, because it does the job. 

MS did a smart thing my making a 'good enough' next gen ish machine. 

It's almost certainly going to cause a few wrinkles, like cyberpunk on last gen. 

But I think there will come a time when next gen will start to break away, or playing the 'S' version just isn't as desirable. 

No doubt, the 'S' being on the market will slow this

More interesting is what Sony will do. 

Right now, they have a golden ticket to make first party exclusives that MS won't be able to counter with anything the 'S' will be a part of.