passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XVI

one-armed dwarf

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Would be nice if it could be squeezed into 2022 still but wishful thinking maybe. 'Nearly complete' could mean a lot of things, content complete but lots of other stuff still needing work etc

So expect a demo in Spring Summer 2022??

• 4 weeks later...

New gameplay

Looks like there's no playable party in this and the summons are like a style/stance switch.

Hopefully it gets a demo at some point. It's got a DMC/Drag Dog combat designer on it so you would think the combat would be good, hopefully

Music sounds a lot like Soken, ffxiv guy

edit soken confirmed, good shit

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/06/02/new-final-fantasy-xvi-trailer-revealed-launches-on-ps5-summer-2023/

Seems heavily focused around eidolons, both in gameplay and story.

I liked this trailer a lot more than the first one they showed. Still not sold on the overall art direction but it's a nice looking game that already looks really polished (or maybe Sonic just skewed my perception). Summer 2023 feels like further away than most people expected though I think.

The emphasis on summons really reminds me of FF Legend. A spin off series they haven't bothered with* since .. >quick google search< 1993! (With a Japanese-only DS remake of the third game in 2010). 

Liking the look of all the summons, aside from Ifrit. Who seems more visually messy than the others.

*Since it was actually the SaGa series rebranded in the west.

Combat looks like XV but XV's issue wasn't how it looked imo, it was the lack of control and decision making which can't really be gleamed from this.

It would be the most surprising thing if they get the combat wrong, given the alumni working on it. 

I just hope we can turn the screen shake off, and tune down some of those damage numbers.

Trailer looked decent but wasn't as impressed with it this time around as with the debut trailer.

Don't really think we can glean too much from the combat in the trailer yet, it does look different than the debut but then again it has been awhile since that came out. 

Completely different director's and teams than XV so shouldn't be anything like that.

The solo party member is a strange choice. I don't think even the spin off games have ever used less than at least a party of four. They specify Clive is your protagonist. The summons, in that respect, seem to be almost a Devil Trigger? It will be interesting to see someone coming in from Capcom tackling the fight mechanics in this game. Can't be worse than 15's combat.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this is a solo joint, combat wise (party members are temporary and AI controlled)

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-16-has-fully-ai-driven-party-members-in-battle/

"In battle, you have these characters that will be fully AI-driven," Yoshida shares. "But that doesn't mean that they will just be there in battle – there will be party banter, they will be accompanying Clive along this journey, and you'll have party members enter the party and leave the party, and different people come in depending on where you are in the story.

"These characters will play big roles in the story and have their own arcs themselves. And so it's not just... basically having someone help you in battle, it's having party members participating in Clive's journey."

"Clive has a massive amount of unique abilities in his fully customisable arsenal," Yoshida says. "We wanted players to master these and customise these to the point where they can use them fluidly and stylishly. But, by spreading out battle controls, out across multiple party members, it can end up hindering the action – or just making things more complicated. And that's why we decided we'd rather have players focus solely on just controlling Clive."

I get what he's saying, but FFVIIR shows how well ARPG can work with a fully controlled party.

That said FFVII is very grounded and this is very aerial and active looking. Could end up having a kind of Dragon's Dogma thing (this isn't my DD brain talking cause it literally has a combat designer from that game working on this) with how the pawns in that game work.

Really though, I would prefer a party I could swap around with but it's probably worth waiting to see how the solo Clive clobbering actually works first cause if it's very complicated and technical then this makes more sense

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Famitsu: Development is 95% complete, release date to be announced before the end of the year

ERA: Translation

――By the way, what is the current development status?

Takai : About 95%.

--It's almost finished!

TakaiThat 's right. The current situation is that we play through the game day by day, tweak the rough parts, and brush up the parts that have flaws in performance or drawing. The rest is bugfixing.

Yoshida Anyway, the scale of the game is large, so debugging takes a lot of time. Almost all programmers are fiddling with code to fix bugs.

TakaiThere is a notice that it is forbidden to add code because new bugs will appear (laughs).

――I'm curious about the release date because it's nearing completion. At the moment it's set to be "Summer 2023", but when do you think you'll find out the specific release date?

Yoshida : We plan to release the information again later this year, so I think we can say it at that time. I don't think it's going to be over the summer, so I think it's okay (laughs).

I've been used to the development environment for online games for the past few years, so I was a little surprised that I had to master it so quickly (bitter smile). If you think about producing physical discs, shipping them all over the world, and so on, it takes several months of physical time after mastering up. When I say that the development status is 90% and 50%, I think there will be voices saying "Please release it immediately", but there are such circumstances.