passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XVI

one-armed dwarf

Been a fair bit of swearing in this so far. From “fuck”, to “bastard”, to one guy saying “That armour wouldn’t withstand a Moogle’s fart”. 

I don’t have an issue with swears. Seems a bit unusual in a Final Fantasy game. But hey ho. 

Oh, and the guy who played Finchy from The Office is Cid. Fine by me.

Hard to know what to make without knowing how big digital is these days. However it does also sort of dovetail with the report that Square was feeling skittish about this game's pre-order numbers. Nor is it a great sign of growth for the IP, when you compare it to the numbers other Japanese series like Resident Evil and Zelda are getting.

Thing with FF, is it's constantly re-inventing itself so doing a 'BOTW' or 'REVII' is kinda not the answer cause it does that every single time anyway

In someways I hope it does really good numbers, despite being one of the "it was better when it was turnbased types"
If anything just given the sheer level of polish, and te fact its complete at timeof launch, no excessive or mandatory day 1 patches for it to work how it should.

In that regard, they deserve a medal 🤣
I will pick it up eventually, but waiting for new Job to start before I can blow more money on games.

Shame would have been nice to see some high physical sales numbers also

Sounds pretty great but yeah in the scheme of things I'm not sure how it stacks up exactly, I had a quick look and FFXV reached 10 million in sales in 6 months so 3 million in a week sounds pretty great to me but then sales are very front loaded in games. 

FFXV was an absolute money pit of a game though (announced as Versus XIII in 2006, cancelled in 2013 and rebooted as XV in a new engine)

Modern mainline FF veers so wildly in quality or whether I'll like it so really all I hope is the sales figures justify a very combat focused DLC like the one that KH3 got, cause that's where I'll get a lot of value out of it.

Talk of "disappointing sales" does remind me specifically of Square's mostly unrealistic benchmarks for "success". When their initial releases of Tomb Raider, Hitman etc were deemed sales failures because they didn't sell CoD numbers...

Like Dwarf said, I think SE really, really want a BotW or RE7.  And the fact that everything they try with FF isn't getting that is a constant failure to them.  Even with a lavish FFVII Remake they merely do well.

It must kinda suck working at SE.  You do some awesome work that makes a ton of money (but not enough) and may even be inspiring to future developers but all they can do is complain that you didn't sell 10 million.  SE is such a miserable place to be.

Don’t know how accurate these figures are, but for comparison’s sake, Tears of the Kingdom sold 10 million copies in 3 days, Elden Ring sold 12 million copies in two weeks.

Also, I wonder how many PS4 owners have yet to upgrade to a PS5. I imagine the number is quite high.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...